Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 08:43 AM

Default I've got a fever...

And the only prescription is a side by side shotgun?

I may have a problem. 35 year old male, hunts occasionally, used to really like the short tactical shottys for messing around and the big magnum 3 1/2" for waterfowl.
But then last season shot a mess of grouse with a next to free Winchester/Cooey 84 12g now see a lot to recommend break actions. But over/unders make me yawn for some reason.

So who out there is still running a side by side?
For what game?
What gauge?

My budget would top out around $2500 so older used or new Turkish guns only? Must be able to handle the occasional magnum or steel duck loads, so 12 or 20 gauge.

Something like CZ Sharptail looks like a good starting point.

Talk me into this (or out of it)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:08 AM

CZ Bobwhite, I've always wanted this gun. Does everything you've suggested. It sells for way under your budget. I have a Suhl SxS that I can't seem to give up for another, thus I am still wanting the CZ.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:14 AM

Prophet river has some nice Huglo sxs. Check them out.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Huglu is CZ. Prophet River.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:24 AM

I've been known to have a sort of addiction towards SxS guns!
Have fun with the search and subsequent buying !
Old 01-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Huglu is CZ. Prophet River.
And I believe that they are expecting a new shipment soon. I have switched to SxS shotguns for all of my upland hunting as well, I enjoy the light weight, and the choice of two chokes just by choosing which trigger to pull.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 AM

The are LOTS of great sxs shotguns in 12, 20 and 28 gauge on CGN. Browning, Winchester 21, and many Italian, German and Spanish guns will easily fit in your used budget. The guns made in Germany, especially Suhl like Merkel, Sauer and Sons, Heym, Blaser, Simpson, Italy and France, Marocci, Verney Caron, Finalnd's Valmet are all pretty much all great guns. Some Spanish are very good like Aya, Arietta, Grulla, Ugartechea, others not do much, you have to study them a little. Also if you buy Browning, Berretta, Franchi, Winchester 23 or 21 and the like you are pretty much guaranteed a great gun.

I like light weight 26" barrelled guns in mod/IC. Easy to carry, swing well in tight quarters and fast handling. I love the Winchester 23. I had a Browning before, great gun, fit well but a little heavy. If you want to shoot steel you either need replaceable chokes or a max choke of Mod.

When looking at used shotguns, make sure there is no separation in the barrels, no bulges, dents or pits in them either. Also check the release lever sits left of centre or on centre. Right of centre is a sign of excessive wear. Make sure it locks up tight and true. Few people will ever shoot a steel action SxS enough to wear it out but the alloy action guns do not last as long so you have to look them over real close.

Like any shotgun, fit is critical. If it doesn't fit the best one in the world won't be of much use.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:48 PM

Well, all doubles used to make "make me yawn" too...now only side-by-sides do. Joking aside, they always struck me as "old guy" guns then I inherited a 1979 Browning Citori, O/U in 20ga about a year and a half ago. I had to replace 1 firing pin (which took a LOT of hand fitting) and have the barrels rust blued as the gun was stored wet for some time before I ended-up with it. Honestly, the light weight, how it shoulders, how it points~I just seem to shoot it exceptionally well.

I've shot side-by-sides, but that was some time ago and I never really warmed to them. Maybe I would now, but anybody who has tried this 20ga Citori is suddenly very conflicted about what their next gun purchase is.

I say go for it, but maybe don't rule-out the O/Us quite yet.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:56 PM

Default I have a fetish for the old sxs's

The nostalgia in just handling an old side by side, unexplainable. Over the past few years after discovering Trade ex I have accumulated 4 sxs's 2 with hammers and 2 without, I hunt with the Husky mod 51 hammer gun, it's a 16ga 2 1/2" and nice and light. I shoot trap with the Husky 350, just to stay swinging for hunting season. With the other two I just shoot sporting clays for the fun of it. I never could stand the looks of an over and under, they just never turn me on like the sxs's
Old 01-20-2018, 06:01 PM

Default I have one

I shoots lots of upland birds. I have a cz .410 and like it a lot.

If I had your budget I'd get a new truck at the auction.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:29 PM

Look for used SKB model 100, 200, or a model 280. These usually go for $900-$2000 the 280 being the most expensive. These were made in Japan and are extremely well made and they have chrome lined barrels. The Browning BSS is also well made and can be had for under 2 grand, they however don’t have chrome lined barrels so steel shot is not advisable
Old 01-20-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaboy View Post
Look for used SKB model 100, 200, or a model 280. These usually go for $900-$2000 the 280 being the most expensive. These were made in Japan and are extremely well made and they have chrome lined barrels. The Browning BSS is also well made and can be had for under 2 grand, they however don’t have chrome lined barrels so steel shot is not advisable
From what I have learned over the years,chrome lining is not that thick - it's very thin in fact and is used more as a corrosion inhibitor that to protect the bore from steel shot.
wads designed for steel, properly relieved forcing cones , less constrictive chokes and harder barrels will do more than a chrome lined barrel in my opinion.
My friend has shot steel out of an older Remington 1100 for many years and there is not one hint of damage from steel.
Cat
Old 01-20-2018, 07:31 PM

This thread has me thinking a hammered double in the future.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
Prophet river has some nice Huglo sxs. Check them out.
They did last time I checked too but they must have sols a ton of them, only one left showing on website. I know they had a lot some time ago. I'm heading in to the store Sunday (open for gun show) and will ask.

http://store.prophetriver.com/catego.../Side-by-Side/
Old 01-21-2018, 09:16 AM

Default sxs selections

I shoot almost exclusively sxs shotguns anymore, both with, and without hammers. Your budget is a bit "undergunned" for any of the british or spanish guns (new). Some of the Eibar guns like Laurona would easily fit the budget, but there are numerous others that are easy to find.
I would highly recommend the Browning BSS models in either 12 or twenty. You would have to watch the choke selection if you choose to shoot steel out of them.
The CZ guns are good. I can personally vouch for the Ringneck models, having owned a few of those. (Not sure why I keep letting people talk me out of them. I always end up regretting it.) Just a personal preference for me, but I like the case hardened receivers, rather than the aluminum ones.
I must say I personally dont care for the look of the new "Huglu" guns. They are starting to appear more machined and stamped than the previous Cz guns. Some of the older CZ models had some pretty outstanding wood on them for a "low-budget" gun. Turkish walnut is good stuff.
As previously stated, keep your eye out on the buy&sell on this site, and the equipment exchange section over on Gunnutz. Pretty much something close to your needs will pop up on a daily basis.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Banned

Just out of curiosity, why are there more o/u available than s/s? Is there something inherently better about o/u?
Old 01-21-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are there more o/u available than s/s? Is there something inherently better about o/u?
The manufacturing process is easier and cheaper for O/U's than SxS guns and O/U's are easier for most people to shoot .
These are the main reasons I have found over the years.
About the only O/U I use for hunting these days is a muzzle loader
Cat
Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The are LOTS of great sxs shotguns in 12, 20 and 28 gauge on CGN. Browning, Winchester 21, and many Italian, German and Spanish guns will easily fit in your used budget. The guns made in Germany, especially Suhl like Merkel, Sauer and Sons, Heym, Blaser, Simpson, Italy and France, Marocci, Verney Caron, Finalnd's Valmet are all pretty much all great guns. Some Spanish are very good like Aya, Arietta, Grulla, Ugartechea, others not do much, you have to study them a little. Also if you buy Browning, Berretta, Franchi, Winchester 23 or 21 and the like you are pretty much guaranteed a great gun.

I like light weight 26" barrelled guns in mod/IC. Easy to carry, swing well in tight quarters and fast handling. I love the Winchester 23. I had a Browning before, great gun, fit well but a little heavy. If you want to shoot steel you either need replaceable chokes or a max choke of Mod.

When looking at used shotguns, make sure there is no separation in the barrels, no bulges, dents or pits in them either. Also check the release lever sits left of centre or on centre. Right of centre is a sign of excessive wear. Make sure it locks up tight and true. Few people will ever shoot a steel action SxS enough to wear it out but the alloy action guns do not last as long so you have to look them over real close.

Like any shotgun, fit is critical. If it doesn't fit the best one in the world won't be of much use.
This is wrong...you want it to be right of center...Just saying...
Old 01-21-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
Probably just a slight mistake, I think Dean likely knows which side the lever is supposed too ride on- good catch though.
Cat
Old 01-21-2018, 11:01 AM

There is a certain mystique about older SxS guns that cannot be denied or refuted!
Cat

Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 AM

a few from a while back
Cat
Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Banned

You sure do have it bad Cat. LOL
Old 01-21-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
Good catch, you are correct. My flub, sorry for any confusion. Most guns, the levers open to the right and thus lever should sit right of centre.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
You sure do have it bad Cat. LOL
Not as bad as some- I don't have the disposable income I used to!
Cat
Old 01-21-2018, 01:22 PM

fit x fit x fit is what you want most of all ... there is S x S in a ruger on here now in your range i think ... i used to have a model 21 win in 16 ga with exhibition grade wold etc that did not fit at all but i tried to make myself a wingshot with it to much frustration ... my SxS now is a perfectly fitting 20ga Ithica that shoots very well with broom stick wood... let us know where you land
Old 01-21-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
fit x fit x fit is what you want most of all ... there is S x S in a ruger on here now in your range i think ... i used to have a model 21 win in 16 ga with exhibition grade wold etc that did not fit at all but i tried to make myself a wingshot with it to much frustration ... my SxS now is a perfectly fitting 20ga Ithica that shoots very well with broom stick wood... let us know where you land
So true, I remember a Lancaster that Oldgutpile owns - this particular shotgun had s tremendous piece of wood on it , but fits me so poorly I have a hard time hitting anything with it!
Too bad, really nice shotgun!
Cat
Old 01-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Default Thanks for all the replies

especially for the pictures

looks like a few weeks of visiting some local stores to find one that looks cool (the most important thing right?)
and trying out for fit.
I got into Milarm a couple days before it closed they had a Laurona, a Miroku, and maybe a Charles Daly or something?
haha my wallet will be seeing stars before this is through
Old 01-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Prophet River has a huge order of Huglu shotguns arriving very soon. They also have a good selection of used SxS shotguns. They just sold a 20 gauge AYA for me last week, although it was a bit out of your price range. If you visit their shop, you will be drooling at the higher end SxS shotguns they have in stock, but you might want to sit down before asking for prices on some of them.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:26 PM

Redneck Hippy
If I were you , and never hunted before with SxS I would suggest trying to by used one from here
https://www.tradeexcanada.com/
Around 500-800$ you could get a quality German made SxS second hand in a good shape, sometimes much cheaper 300-400$ or Russian or USSR for $250 ish and you can decide if this is your cap of tea...
I started to hunt with sxs and later had them all , semi autos , o/u, pumps .
SxS is a bit more difficult to master to shoot to compare with the rest ,but when you learn how to shoot it that would not matter .
If you will pick up the gun that fits you well you will like it a lot ,does not matter the gage 20,16,12 all about the same at normal range say 40yds+.
But if going this route I would forget about the steel and keep couple of bismuth shells in my pocket in case or ducks or geese.
S12
Old 02-27-2018, 04:26 PM

This thread is making me nostalgic for my old CZ Bobwhite! Shot thousands of clays and a pile of grouse before my back door was kicked in by a few no good theives and they helped them selves. Beautiful shotgun, but discontinued by CZ, so used is the only option. Anyone have one for sale?