Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 11:18 PM

Default sleddin coyotes

Been hearing a lot of talk lately ( gunshop & fellow hunters) about how many guys are getting yotes , chasing them on sleds then gunnin them down. We all know it goes on, & it seems to be by guys who live in rural areas( mostly open country here in the south). One fella who does it openly admitted to a good friend of mine( ya, only got 40 so far/ got 80 last year). This is despicable, sleds these days are like dragsters, the mutts don't have a chance. I hunt coyotes myself, but the predator calling way, so I'm not sticking up for the coyote, but by doing it the legit way. Many guys tell me its tough to even spot them during the day , as they used to while crusing the country roads. No wonder, their probably so rattled , their staying low until dark. Other fellas tell me calling is becoming much less productive , a lot less responses compared to past times in places that used to be awesome( mostly in open country ) where sleds are unhampered. We know F&W officers are sparse for a given area, but if they sat on an elevated position in suspected areas , I'm sure they would soon catch these a--holes, I'm surprised there haven't been more charges laid , with how much of this is going on.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:23 AM

Then report it.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Then report it.
X2

Stuff like this doesn't belong online either. Posts on this forum have been used by the antis before...
Old 01-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Exclamation Just saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
X2

Stuff like this doesn't belong online either. Posts on this forum have been used by the antis before...
so where dose it belong !!!!help me understand .ps I don't care what the antis think
Its a hunting forum if you can't talk here then where
Old 01-17-2018, 12:28 PM

I guess the piont was, unless your thinking of a citizens arrest, it would be better call the authorities instead of complaining on here.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
so where dose it belong !!!!help me understand .ps I don't care what the antis think
Yeah maybe if the anti crowd sees that not everything goes in our hunting world seen by real hunters it might help that hunters have standards too. I personally think sledding coyotes is discussing, same as chasing deer in a truck, then bailing out and blazing away.

But people complian about poaching and trespassing all the time on here...
Old 01-17-2018, 12:35 PM

everything posted on here is searchable on google. this is not a private party.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I think you saying “its a hunting forum” is where the problem lies.

This thread belongs in a crime watch or police site

What the OP described in his/her post has nothing to do with hunting.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 01-17-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 PM

Call srd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Agreed 100%, I don't give a rats a---ss about the antis, all they are is lip service.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Then report it.
If I knew the parties responsible , they would be reported.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
X2

See post #10.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
I guess the piont was, unless your thinking of a citizens arrest, it would be better call the authorities instead of complaining on here.
I'm not complaining at all, just making people more aware of the frequency this is happening so everyone concerned can be informed. If you're not concerned, then maybe you're one of the offenders huh. Pretty hard to make a citizens arrest when this info comes to me from close reputable second parties.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
Yeah maybe if the anti crowd sees that not everything goes in our hunting world seen by real hunters it might help that hunters have standards too. I personally think sledding coyotes is discussing, same as chasing deer in a truck, then bailing out and blazing away.

But people complian about poaching and trespassing all the time on here...
x2
Old 01-17-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
everything posted on here is searchable on google. this is not a private party.
Who said it was?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I think you saying “its a hunting forum” is where the problem lies.

This thread belongs in a crime watch or police site

What the OP described in his/her post has nothing to do with hunting.
There is no crime watch/ police site on this forum, so the hunting forum is my only option, these jerks consider running them down at 80mph. with impunity, HUNTING, ---bunch of cowards, can't do it the stealthy skillful way.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
There is no crime watch/ police site on this forum, so the hunting forum is my only option, these jerks consider running them down at 80mph. with impunity, HUNTING, ---bunch of cowards, can't do it the stealthy skillful way.
So what!!, it didn't fit perfectly under hunting title, big deal. There isn't a poachers category but it gets talked about under hunting.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
So what!!, it didn't fit perfectly under hunting title, big deal. There isn't a poachers category but it gets talked about under hunting.
Agreed! These guy's that kill coyotes with sleds , if that's their mentality called " hunting" then why don't they hunt deer on the highways with their trucks when a herd crosses in front of them, then chuck them in the box? Same crap different pile, except -- oh , someone might see me on the highway, it's too exposed, or I might wreck my new pickup!
Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed! These guy's that kill coyotes with sleds , if that's their mentality called " hunting" then why don't they hunt deer on the highways with their trucks when a herd crosses in front of them, then chuck them in the box? Same crap different pile, except -- oh , someone might see me on the highway, it's too exposed, or I might wreck my new pickup!
Yeah exactly, they are not hunters.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:18 AM

By no means I support it (and actually despise it), but could it have something to do with coyote shooting vs deer hunting?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
If I knew the parties responsible , they would be reported.
Most of the time with these kinds of posts there is always more to the story than what has been presented.
Also curious to know how a guy in a truck is gonna catch a guy on a 800cc machine in a stubble field.?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Most of the time with these kinds of posts there is always more to the story than what has been presented.
Also curious to know how a guy in a truck is gonna catch a guy on a 800cc machine in a stubble field.?
Truck v/s sled in the field wouldn't happen, but with high zoom video cameras, & an elevated perch , if available, they could observe if sleds ended up back at whatever farm/ ranch, or truck-trailer combo on grid road & close in on suspects. No one said it would be a cakewalk, but it can be done. Not so much if there is much bushland. I'm no expert at it but I'm sure they would have their ways.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 PM

Default culprits

government helicopter ...
Culprits would loose their snowmachines, trucks on site, guns, all their fur, pay large fines, hunting & trapping rights and pay large $ FINE
Old 01-18-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Truck v/s sled in the field wouldn't happen, but with high zoom video cameras, & an elevated perch , if available, they could observe if sleds ended up back at whatever farm/ ranch, or truck-trailer combo on grid road & close in on suspects. No one said it would be a cakewalk, but it can be done. Not so much if there is much bushland. I'm no expert at it but I'm sure they would have their ways.
I don’t condone it and get what you are saying, but for the way enforcement works these days it’s way to much work with little reward in catching guys.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
government helicopter ...
Culprits would loose their snowmachines, trucks on site, guns, all their fur, pay large fines, hunting & trapping rights and pay large $ FINE
Yup, chopper would work, but expensive. Fines would have to cover costs.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

I don't agree with this being done but to me it falls in the category as the guys that used to hunt and kill coyotes with dogs. I'm a firm believer in killing as humanely as possible and being run over by a skidoo or killed in a dog fight isn't humane to me.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I don’t condone it and get what you are saying, but for the way enforcement works these days it’s way to much work with little reward in catching guys.
True enough, chopper would be less work/ easier access/ more money--but would also be louder & more visible to culprits. Would probably have to have co-ordinated ground crew with visual of them & co-ordinates, then summon the chopper sitting not to far away, for the takedown. Do this enough times & fines would easily cover costs.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 PM

Just convince all the coyotes to take the tide pod challenge
Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 PM

I very much doubt it's done a lot. Maybe years ago but not today. Being blown way out of proportion as far as I am concerned. No I don't own a snowmobile nor do I hunt them. They kill deer and the less of them the better. Pretty soon we are going to be questioned about how a mosquito is killed. Good stuff for the anti's to blow out of proportion as well.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
They kill deer and the less of them the better.
Wrong, in my opinion. Like i said here or in another thread, it isn't about the draw wait times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Pretty soon we are going to be questioned about how a mosquito is killed. Good stuff for the anti's to blow out of proportion as well.
Antis? Out of proportion - maybe. However, ethical and humane something something. Comparing a coyote to a mosquito is obviously wrong. And like I said before hunting an animal vs. a coyote shooting.