Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-18-2017, 08:38 PM

Default Pal Renewal

I’m just starting this thread to keep track of how long it takes for my new Pal to arrive. I realize there have been numerous threads started about this topic. I’m not looking for info on how long yours took, or problems anyone has come across lately. However, if you wish to share that information, feel free to go ahead and tell us your experience. I mailed my renewal application today. I’ll let you guys know how long it takes to come back. I’m hoping before my birthday in the first half of February, but maybe not?? I was meaning to send in the renewal earlier but I was so busy during hunting season, that I just didn’t get around to it.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 PM

Took about 8 weeks for my RPAL renewal. Started it online, and even though they ask for your email address, incase they need to contact you for further information, they snail mailed the letter asking for my proof of range membership. Then I spent 40 mins on the phone to get an email address to send it to since the fax number they put in the letter wouldn't work.

There's no spot to include the range info in the renewal forms!

Bureaucracy at its finest....

There are no absolutes
Old 12-18-2017, 09:01 PM

I waited two weeks on one occasion, and five months on another occasion. The last time was five months, because the CFO was back to his game of holding my application for months before he sent a threatening letter telling me that unless he received proof of my range membership, my application would be discarded, and I would be illegally in possession of firearms once my PAL expires. I had attached proof of my range membership even though it wasn't asked for on the renewal form, and when I told the CFO this, his excuse was that it must have been lost.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:33 PM

I have a RPAL but don’t have any restricted firearms. Can I assume I will need a range membership??
Old 12-18-2017, 11:52 PM

I applied for mine several months before it expired and had to send a copy of my Range Card...took about two months IIRC.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 PM

Mine is just non-restricted. Hoping it doesn’t take that long.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
I have a RPAL but don’t have any restricted firearms. Can I assume I will need a range membership??
I sure hope not. Just sent in my first time application 6 weeks ago for RPAL and have no immediate plans to get anything restricted.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Renewed my non-restricted online this past summer. Had my card in the mail within 10 days of submitting. I was very surprised how fast it was.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Took about 8 weeks for my RPAL renewal. Started it online, and even though they ask for your email address, incase they need to contact you for further information, they snail mailed the letter asking for my proof of range membership. Then I spent 40 mins on the phone to get an email address to send it to since the fax number they put in the letter wouldn't work.

They did the same to me, but I just snapped a pic and emailed it to an address they must have supplied, because I didn't look for one as I recall. Maybe you woke them up. Mine took over 3 months.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Info for those who'll be renewing before their current one expires. You can do everything on line.. Makes things so much easier and faster. As for range membership if you have an RPAL, send in a photo of your membership and cross reference your renewal application.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:13 PM

I renewed my license about a month ago, and got it back around two weeks later.

Did not include any range membership info, and still received my RPAL back with standard transport conditions. Easy as pie.

Flanny
Old 01-15-2018, 10:13 PM

Payment was withdrawn from my credit card today. 28 days since I mailed my renewal form. Not complaining, just continuing updates, I still have more than 3 weeks until my birthday. Should be here before then.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Just to follow up, you will not need a range membership. Same situation as you and I just got my RPAL.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Same thing here, but mine has been 15 weeks so far. Finally got someone who was helpful and got the ball rolling today and got it done and approved. Didn’t get the snail mail letter until 13-14 weeks.

Why do they even need email address and phone numbers if they won’t use them...
Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
I’m just starting this thread to keep track of how long it takes for my new Pal to arrive. I realize there have been numerous threads started about this topic. I’m not looking for info on how long yours took, or problems anyone has come across lately. However, if you wish to share that information, feel free to go ahead and tell us your experience. I mailed my renewal application today. I’ll let you guys know how long it takes to come back. I’m hoping before my birthday in the first half of February, but maybe not?? I was meaning to send in the renewal earlier but I was so busy during hunting season, that I just didn’t get around to it.
I renewed on line the same day you mailed yours. I received mine Dec. 28. I couldn't believe how fast I got it considering it was over the holidays. Hope you get yours before your Bday.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiksnStrings View Post
I renewed on line the same day you mailed yours. I received mine Dec. 28. I couldn't believe how fast I got it considering it was over the holidays. Hope you get yours before your Bday.
That is really fast! I’m sure I’ll be good, almost a month before my birthday rolls around. If payment was received, it should be here before then. If it’s not, big deal, I just won’t take my guns out!! At least it’s been renewed and I don’t have to take the stupid course over again.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Just to follow up, you will not need a range membership. Same situation as you and I just got my RPAL.

Appreciate that!

Thanks, matt
Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 PM

I don’t have an rpal, just a pal. When I renewed online, it took 6 business days to get my new card. I was pretty impressed by that.

Kevin
Old 01-26-2018, 02:24 AM

Just another update. My pal came in the mail on January 26th. So less than 6 weeks. Sounds like you guys renewing online are getting the cards super quick. Maybe next time I renew, it will be online??
Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 AM

Started my renewal online Oct 17. It was held up because they wanted range membership confirmation and the postie had sent the letter to the wrong address. Sent on the info and according to the site it is in transit. Pathetic when you consider how quick it is to renew a passport which is a much more important document that actually has some Worth.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:45 PM

Renewed mine online 3 months ago and I’m still waiting for my new card. Payment and confirmation email were received right away. Have to love the firearms program!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlak View Post
I don’t have an rpal, just a pal. When I renewed online, it took 6 business days to get my new card. I was pretty impressed by that.

Kevin
That is truly amazing! Sure it was this country?
Old 01-26-2018, 04:29 PM

The site states they sit on the application for 30 days before they even look at it.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Banned

I sent my renewal application 2 months prior to expiry and inlcuded a copy of my range membership for my RPAL. Received it all within a month. No problem here.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:58 PM

I did mine online Jan 2nd, got my card in the mail yesterday. 23 days, and my ATT was extended - the inside BC was removed, so I take that to be I could do a day trip up to the ranges in Calgary without needing to call for a short term.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:53 AM

Online is the easiest... everything is electronic (including photo) and TYD within 2 weeks
Old 02-06-2018, 03:44 PM

Applied online on January 17. Arrived yesterday. That's 19 days. Great service.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKG View Post
Applied online on January 17. Arrived yesterday. That's 19 days. Great service.
You should shock the folks in NB by calling them and saying thank you for speedy service. I bet they don't hear that very often!
Old 02-06-2018, 04:45 PM

My pal is up for renewal this May. I have rpal too but don’t own any restricted so hopefully it isn’t as much of a hassle
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 PM
Banned

sounds like mine is about regular for an online renewal......done jan 21 and received it in the mail on feb 2 AND hadn't picked up the mail for a few days so really don't know if it was faster than 12 days or not.

can't believe Canada post had a hand in this and it was still fast.