Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Default Political Asylum and Antelope

I just got home from a trip up from the middle of Colorado, up through the middle of Wyoming and north through the middle of Montana.

Without looking more than a couple 100 yards from the highway I saw hundreds 100's, maybe 1000's of Antelope. Rarely a mile went by without seeing antelope.

I now know why Alberta has NO Antelope. They all crossed the 49th parallel seeking Political Asylum and moved to the USA.

Until I got to Coots. From there up Hwy 36 to Brooks and west I scanned both sides of the highway as far as I could see. I never saw 1 (one) single antelope.

Of course Fish & Feathers is paying all local ranchers to shoot every antelope on site or on sight.

There is something very different with the antelope management between these 2 countries. Something VERY WRONG.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRick View Post
I just got home from a trip up from the middle of Colorado, up through the middle of Wyoming and north through the middle of Montana.

Without looking more than a couple 100 yards from the highway I saw hundreds 100's, maybe 1000's of Antelope. Rarely a mile went by without seeing antelope.

I now know why Alberta has NO Antelope. They all crossed the 49th parallel seeking Political Asylum and moved to the USA.

Until I got to Coots. From there up Hwy 36 to Brooks and west I scanned both sides of the highway as far as I could see. I never saw 1 (one) single antelope.

Of course Fish & Feathers is paying all local ranchers to shoot every antelope on site or on sight.

There is something very different with the antelope management between these 2 countries. Something VERY WRONG.
The fact that Alberta is at the northern most reaches of the Pronghorn's range, shouldn't dissuade you in any way from getting a good rant going......

There are no absolutes
Old 10-03-2017, 01:01 PM

Look at the satellite image of hwy 36.

Agriculture fields all the way.

Our pronghorn habitat is heavily fragmented and shrinking.

These critters are doing their best to hang on in tiny bits of suitable land.

It won't surprise me a bit if Pronghorns are extirpated from Alberta within 100 years.
Not because of the northern climate,
not because of hunting,
and not because of wolves.

Simply because we plowed their homes into cropland.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-03-2017, 01:08 PM

Hey I grew up in Brooks area and we always had lots of antelope around 50 years ago. It would be nothing to see several hundred from junction 36 and Hwy 1 to Taber.

And up to Hwy 9 several hundred more. I know ranchers in those areas and they will tell you the same. And now there is very few.

it has NOTHING to do with lost habitat! Don't let some Tree Hugging Liberal beauacrat tell you that.

I'd suggest they go and study the USA management practices for the last 50 years and learn something.

PS The antelope used to be home well north of hwy 9 - 50 yrs ago. And clear into Saskatchewan.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Hey I grew up in Brooks area and we always had lots of antelope around 50 years ago. It would be nothing to see several hundred from junction 36 and Hwy 1 to Taber.

And up to Hwy 9 several hundred more. I know ranchers in those areas and they will tell you the same. And now there is very few.

it has NOTHING to do with lost habitat! Don't let some Tree Hugging Liberal beauacrat tell you that.

I'd suggest they go and study the USA management practices for the last 50 years and learn something.

PS The antelope used to be home well north of hwy 9 - 50 yrs ago. And clear into Saskatchewan.

So, nothing to do with habitat.... Wildlife doesn't need that....

So, your adamant that the problem is a F&W bounty being paid to ranchers to shoot them.... OK..

Next time you drive from Couttes to Brooks, detour through the grazing reserves, away from the croplands. You'll see Pronghorns from the road.

Must be that this bounty only applies to certain areas....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-03-2017, 01:26 PM

My comment about "paid shooters" was "tongue in cheek" to point out the obvious. You didn't get it.

Go from Bow Island to Brooks, to north of Tilly all the way to Hwy 13. Antelope are real scarce. Get your head out of the sand.

I'm an old cattleman. They can teach you about habitat.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
My comment about "paid shooters" was "tongue in cheek" to point out the obvious. You didn't get it.

Go from Bow Island to Brooks, to north of Tilly all the way to Hwy 13. Antelope are real scarce. Get your head out of the sand.

So, if not a bounty, what is causing the problem?

Old 10-03-2017, 01:34 PM

WB is correct, there are pockets of speeders but these are few and far between due to loss of habitat.... The herd here was touching 100 or better before the winters of 2010 through 2012, they have rebounded to near 70 now...

It amazes me the amount of native lands turned into production in this area. Can't blame the farmers, but it does reduce many species habitable areas.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:35 PM

US/Can now has a 24/7 Border Patrol..... . bet that's the problem...
Old 10-03-2017, 02:16 PM

I would agree the loss of habitat is the biggest concern and reason for the low numbers. I know we are in the very far north of their range, but you only have to drive a couple hours south into Montana and the difference in population is night and day. You can't tell me that that much more south makes a big difference. Its the same things with pheasants, you see them all over northern Montana but some areas South here they are non existent anymore and all release sites. The best pheasants are still where there is habitat that isn't farmed right to the highway. You can't blame the famers though but better habitat I think is the key.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:

There is a ton of agriculture land in the area you mentioned. You should try and drive through the prairies where it's native grasslands and I guarantee you will find lots of Pronghorn. If you don't believe me come and see me and we can go for a drive and I will show you hundreds of Pronghorn.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:35 AM

I hunt a ranchers land north of brooks and see a lot of antelelope all the time.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 AM

Without trying to cause even more of an argument here...I just spent 7 days down south hunting antelope and saw alot more than I was expecting to see. I hunted both cropland and grazing lands. Saw way more in the cropland. Go figure.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:29 PM

Well like I said. Drive where I did. On both sides of the border. If you haven't, you don't know what LOTS of ANTELOPE looks like.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Well like I said. Drive where I did. On both sides of the border. If you haven't, you don't know what LOTS of ANTELOPE looks like.
Depends on where you drive. I could take you on drives, you would think Alberta is filled with pheasants, it's an illusion though, just small pockets of birds.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-04-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Other than a bounty, you still have not given a reason as to Why Alberta's pronghorns are not doing well in this specific area.

Did you notice that most Agreed that there are few Pronghorns along HWY 36, which USED to be prime Pronghorn country?
I agree with your observation, that area and many more like it are sadly void of Pronghorns.

When a person goes Pronghorn hunting, you don't just drive anyplace in the south, you drive to those few remaining larger pockets of grazing land and natural prairie.
Yes, they can be found in cropland, usually adjacent to natural areas, sometimes because they are migrating to another grassland area.

It was recognized decades ago that the true limiting factor in Alberta for Pronghorn populations and area of greatest concern was Habitat and Habitat Loss.

With the continued expansion of agriculture, needed for the expanding human population and desire for greater wealth, this situation has only gotten worse. Farmers, Ranchers and Citiots are all equally to blame, along with our governing bodies.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Other than a bounty, you still have not given a reason as to Why Alberta's pronghorns are not doing well in this specific area.

Did you notice that most Agreed that there are few Pronghorns along HWY 36, which USED to be prime Pronghorn country?
I agree with your observation, that area and many more like it are sadly void of Pronghorns.

When a person goes Pronghorn hunting, you don't just drive anyplace in the south, you drive to those few remaining larger pockets of grazing land and natural prairie.
Yes, they can be found in cropland, usually adjacent to natural areas, sometimes because they are migrating to another grassland area.

It was recognized decades ago that the true limiting factor in Alberta for Pronghorn populations and area of greatest concern was Habitat and Habitat Loss.

With the continued expansion of agriculture, needed for the expanding human population and desire for greater wealth, this situation has only gotten worse. Farmers, Ranchers and Citiots are all equally to blame, along with our governing bodies.
100% agree.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Has a CRP-type program ever been proposed in Alberta? It sure seems to be successful in the US. Coupled with a block management program to help with access.... I'm drooling at the thought.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Banned

don't know if many of you remember, but along hwy one east of medicine hat, there used to be thousands of antelope (50 or so years ago). now it's the odd time you see them.

same story across the road across by manyberries. every time I travel out there I can't help but remember their numbers and wonder where they went.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:07 AM

When I was a kid I remember seeing a lot more antelope down around Medicine Hat and up through Brooks. I don't think the overall population is anywhere near what it was 30+ years ago.

I can't say for certain, and I don't know why the numbers are lower (if they are) but I certainly think there are a lot less. Maybe it's time to lay off the doe harvest for a few year? It may make a difference, at least from this armchair biologists perspective.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 AM

If you do venture off the beaten path into the GR's, there still are fairly good sized heards. The flood plains into the Pinhorn are still populated and even the farmed land. Not like the good old days though. My opinion, and that alone, would be towards weather and the mismanagement of that population. My draw starts on Oct 16th, and I am hoping I can harvest a decent buck. By the looks of the scouting from last weekend, this may be a challenge. Trying to find a buck with the the 4 qualities I look for wasn't easy. Mass, Cutters, Height, and Hooks. At the very best, one or two bucks had 2 out of 4. Sorry for the slight detour on your post OP, but they do have a bit in common with each other...or do they? Does more antelope in general equal more quality bucks? Or are hunters filling a tag due to the fact they may never get drawn again? Lets hope this population improves. That's all we can really do.

On a side note, I am unaware of when the Antelope Rut generally occurs in the south. Anyone help me out with this?

Cheers,

Blake
Old 01-19-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Look at the satellite image of hwy 36.

Agriculture fields all the way.

Our pronghorn habitat is heavily fragmented and shrinking.

These critters are doing their best to hang on in tiny bits of suitable land.

It won't surprise me a bit if Pronghorns are extirpated from Alberta within 100 years.
Not because of the northern climate,
not because of hunting,
and not because of wolves.

Simply because we plowed their homes into cropland.
Very well said sir and I agree fully.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
I hunt a ranchers land north of brooks and see a lot of antelelope all the time.
Me too, north of the RD river.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:17 PM

Anyone who hunts Suffield will tell you that Alberta’s Pronghorn population is alive and well. But yes, no agricultural land there. If you drove those herds out you would repopulate the province. Easy to see a thousand per hunt.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Management is a lot different south of the border, the ranch I hunted was 300 sg. miles. The owner made money from allowing access to the property. The state also paid them money for the animals taken off of there ranch.
If the land owners could make money off of hunting there attitude would change. And of course we would need better trespass laws.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
don't know if many of you remember, but along hwy one east of medicine hat, there used to be thousands of antelope (50 or so years ago). now it's the odd time you see them.

same story across the road across by manyberries. every time I travel out there I can't help but remember their numbers and wonder where they went.

was just down there Friday, between the weigh scale and Dunmore where about 40 head (midday).

between Elkwater and the transcanada I easily saw approximately 200 whitetail and mule deer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The fact that Alberta is at the northern most reaches of the Pronghorn's range, shouldn't dissuade you in any way from getting a good rant going......

Man, I missed this thread...
Got me snorting there Dick.
Thanks for the snort
Rob
Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 AM

Ok but seriously. How does walking buffalo get suspended? Lol

This forum is amazing these days