Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 07:50 PM

Question One man tent heater?

Just curious if anyone has ever purchased or made their own heater for a one man fishing tent. I know all the dangers of carbon monoxide and such and know ventilation is a must but I’m getting older (sigh) and my blood circulation isn’t what it used to be and a cup of coffee just doesn’t cut it anymore.

I had a friend who made one from an old metal tobacco can, a roll of toilet paper and lighter fluid but it seemed way to dangerous to use in any situation let alone in a fishing tent.

I know there are a lot of smart inventors out there and I’m sure someone has come up with a smart idea. Just hope they will share.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2018, 07:59 PM

We have had great success with the Mr Heater products. This one is the smallest they carry at Canadian Tire

We use the two sizes up 12000 BTU version in our 6x12 shelter, and I use it on the low setting in my 5x6 and I usually only run it for about 15 minutes then shut it off for a while until it cools off too much when it's colder out.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:13 PM

I’m using one of those pop up tens that is about 26” x 40”, small seat, canvas sides with a hard plastic top and bottom. Had it for probably 25 years or more. Probably some of the older members on here remember them. Heck, maybe some still use them.

I’m probably just dreaming in technicolor but maybe someone has had a brain cramp and created something.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:55 PM
Banned

I have been gassed out of the tent on several occasions. Luckily I had some whit to get out before I dropped unconscious. Not being sarcastic in any way, this is serious and a life altering situation here. Canadian tire x2😁
Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I have been gassed out of the tent on several occasions. Luckily I had some whit to get out before I dropped unconscious. Not being sarcastic in any way, this is serious and a life altering situation here. Canadian tire x2😁
I agree with you 100%. I know I’m getting older but I’m not ready for a pine box yet.

While typing this I had a bit of an brain 4art. I wonder how long one of those small 12v in car heaters would run on a small garden tractor battery. No gassing problems using it and I think it wouldn’t damage my line if it got close. Ability to turn it on and off with ease. Battery would fit under the seat.

Any thoughts about this?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:26 PM

I think most (or all?) of the Mr.Heater products have safety shut offs for low oxygen levels, and for tipping.

I just picked up a new shelter, the double Eskimo Quickfish 6i, and am in the market for a heater for it as well. Am thinking better to go bigger considering the size of shelter so am leaning towards the Big Buddy, up to 18,000btu plus a fan.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:13 AM

Default One man tent heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainslug View Post
I’m using one of those pop up tens that is about 26” x 40”, small seat, canvas sides with a hard plastic top and bottom. Had it for probably 25 years or more. Probably some of the older members on here remember them. Heck, maybe some still use them.

I’m probably just dreaming in technicolor but maybe someone has had a brain cramp and created something.

26 x 40 inches? A couple 4arts should be enough, lol. I’m not sure a gas heater would be safe or practical with that small of a space.
I’m guessing you’ve never actually used one of those 12v car heaters, cause there garbage.
I’m thinking those ‘lil hotties’ chemical packs might be your best bet. A couple in your boots and another in your gloves would be enough if you had good clothes. Wouldn’t keep your line from freezing, or do much more than keep you from freezing. Yet again, I don’t think you have many options as far as heaters.
They have heated jackets, socks and boot soles, yet by the time you bought those you’d be better off buying a newer tent and a buddy heater.
Maybe one of those tiny camp stoves would do, but I’d be real careful with ventilation, which could be an issue with canvas and solid roof.
I’d try a small buddy heater, and only turn it one for a bit at a time if I was set on getting a heater.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
We have had great success with the Mr Heater products. This one is the smallest they carry at Canadian Tire

We use the two sizes up 12000 BTU version in our 6x12 shelter, and I use it on the low setting in my 5x6 and I usually only run it for about 15 minutes then shut it off for a while until it cools off too much when it's colder out.
I am in a similar situation with my tent. This sized heater is still way too much for a small area.

I was also trying to think of something better than a glass jar candle and less than this heater.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:31 AM

Those Thermacell insoles work great for cold feet. You can usually find them on sale for about $100, then the hotpaks for your hands would be a good option.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Just curious if anyone has ever purchased or made their own heater for a one man fishing tent. I know all the dangers of carbon monoxide and such and know ventilation is a must but I’m getting older (sigh) and my blood circulation isn’t what it used to be and a cup of coffee just doesn’t cut it anymore.

I had a friend who made one from an old metal tobacco can, a roll of toilet paper and lighter fluid but it seemed way to dangerous to use in any situation let alone in a fishing tent.

I know there are a lot of smart inventors out there and I’m sure someone has come up with a smart idea. Just hope they will share.

Thanks
I used a black cat 3000 btu in my yukon 2 man flip for a couple years. Was good to ok except for really cold days. One man tent should be fine with the little buddy 3800 btu.
Not sure if you can find the Coleman BlackCat anymore.

https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Perfec.../dp/B0009PUQW8

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Haha, my buddy and I still use those one-man black-fabric pop-up tents! Buddy has the soft top, mine is the hard top. Zipper sticks a bit sometimes and the hardtop shell is all scratched and gouged from dragging it over the ice with all my gear bungie-corded on top, but it still works great.

I've often wondered about how to add some heat in there but have never come up with any viable option. My best advice is to not go fishing on the really cold days and try to make sure you go on a sunny day. As you no doubt already know, that black fabric soaks up even a low winter sun and fills the tent with heat -- I've had it up over 30 degrees inside the tent on sunny March days!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
I used a black cat 3000 btu in my yukon 2 man flip for a couple years. Was good to ok except for really cold days. One man tent should be fine with the little buddy 3800 btu.
Not sure if you can find the Coleman BlackCat anymore.

https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Perfec.../dp/B0009PUQW8
I have one of those and it's borderline on a cold day in my 6'x6' pop up tent. In a one man tent you still have the issue of CO with that one.

I loved my buddy's 12000 BTU Mr. Heater. We sat in T-Shirts in -25 using that thing.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
... Zipper sticks a bit sometimes...
Try rubbing chapstik or a wax candle along the teeth, might help zipper run more smoothly.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:15 PM

So why can't you ventilate your shelter?
Can't you leave the door open a crack?
I have a Blackcat, it's about the right size for an outhouse. Not close to enough for a 6x6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
Try rubbing chapstik or a wax candle along the teeth, might help zipper run more smoothly.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:58 PM

I had a 1 and a half man homemade tarp hut for a number of years. We would sit facing each other just offset. Great little hut.
All I used to use was a Coleman lantern for heat. Took the edge off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk