Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 PM

Default cold snow

The good news the cold and snow got the coyotes moveing,the bad news a little to much snow resulted in many snares drifted over,had three walk overs,and a bridger walked onbut didnt trip ,had to reset,alerting this wary animal,back to sq one,hard walking but not enough for snow shoes.I did notice many muskrat pushups visited by yotes,see how mr bridger does on next trip-----
Old 01-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Banned

mine will be so much work, I don't think i'll do it. wind blew a gale down here and most of my snares are so buried I can't even find them.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:25 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
mine will be so much work, I don't think i'll do it. wind blew a gale down here and most of my snares are so buried I can't even find them.
So now if you explain that to Mister Gallup and tell him that's really why people find stuff in the spring, he might let you use real snares... assuming you are actually some spoiled guy from Saskatchewan!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:41 AM

Default snare and trap markers

A very valid point is made,to mark all traps and snares in the event of heavy snow ,could have been yotes caught pre storm,fence lines are easy with marking tape,cattails a slight fiber glass rod with reflector works well,note pad with records,gps very accurate.The bad news snares traps lost will in many cases began to "work" come spring and snow melt,catching unwary pregnant females--we should make every effort to prevent this-----
Old 01-03-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
A very valid point is made,to mark all traps and snares in the event of heavy snow ,could have been yotes caught pre storm,fence lines are easy with marking tape,cattails a slight fiber glass rod with reflector works well,note pad with records,gps very accurate.The bad news snares traps lost will in many cases began to "work" come spring and snow melt,catching unwary pregnant females--we should make every effort to prevent this-----

Would you mind sharing some pictures of what your doing to mark your trap line, that would be interesting.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
Would you mind sharing some pictures of what your doing to mark your trap line, that would be interesting.
I started with 1 orange clothe pin at every location, but I had a hard time seeing them, so now I put 3 orange clothe pins at every location
Old 01-05-2018, 04:35 PM

Default trap markings

Quote:
Should be out tomorrow ,for line check,this idea not mine,but will photo and pass along,hope it will help--it always amazes me how the land scape changes with a fall of snow,the last lot not enough for snow shoes,but enough to give the legs a good workout----Plus had to reset a lot and alert the already wary survivors.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
So now if you explain that to Mister Gallup and tell him that's really why people find stuff in the spring, he might let you use real snares... assuming you are actually some spoiled guy from Saskatchewan!!!
no marty, I used to live there and i'm here now.....it would take a tractor and then a shovel to find a bunch of my snares right now. but they're all marked with ribbon so I WILL retrieve them. I keep my journal with snare numbers in each location, so i'll know none are left out.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Flagging tape , not very much and not a bright color .. thats all I can say . I don't need a few locals to go checking them for me .