Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 07:26 PM

Default Why are people so uptight?

So I posted asking a question about the regs and people seam to be very angry any time someone asks a question about the regulations. I understand if you are asking something without reading them but when someone has read them and is asking for clarification people need to chill. I have t broken any laws I’m just trying to make sure I’m not before I do something. I’m not doing something and the. Asking if it’s legal after. My thread got closed and not sure why. Anyways. I had one helpful reply and the rest were just not helpful and full of anger. Thanks to those on here that like to help but those of you that are just here to get mad at people for asking a question it would be better if you just keep quiet.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:35 PM

Never saw your post so this isnt directed to you personally....

There are tonnes of posts out there where you can tell the person has not bothered at all to look or do any reading before asking. It gets old fast.

Also if you get bad advice from someone who also hasn't read them... what will you do show them the post and say its says here I can do this?

If I feel the person has read and tried to understand I will by all means help if I can. Also I try to give a link to the page or regulation. If they obviously haven't read or tried then I usually just say go read them, if you have questions then ask. But I am not going to just tell them, that way the next problem they can probably solve on their own.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:08 PM

In my post I did say I read the regs and couldn’t find what I was looking for so I was asking for help. Hoping someone could point me in the direction where to find it. I never go by what someone says cuz I don’t know them and where they got their info. I just wanna know where to find the info. I ended up finding what I was looking for by reading Alberta realm and then following a link to my wild Alberta and then finding info on there that helped me figure out the regs. By reading what it said in a different body of water than what I am fishing. I understand there are people asking questions just looking for a hand out and being lazy but I don’t believe my post came across that way. Anyways. I just get annoyed with the people on here that don’t wanna help and just get mad you even made a post. Also I have no idea why my thread got closed. I couldn’t even make a reply to defend what I was asking
Old 05-21-2020, 08:23 PM

I went and looked for the post, and you made it clear you had put in an effort and were looking for clarification. I think some people decided to jump down your throat anyway and once it started the mods knew it would continue so they shut down the thread. Sometimes it happens on here, kinda sucks and makes it a less than positive experience for some unfortunately.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:29 PM

LDS ... I agree it's a touchy subject around here with a few but not all the members, I've experienced the same treatment & those guys who went after us are now banned.

When I moved here from MB, I found the AB Reg's difficult to locate info and they're not the easiest to read. Scott & I got killed here when I posted a pic of us fishin at Troutville were the sign in the parking lot clearly said Bait Was Allowed, my pic had Shrimp, M-Worms & Small Minnows in a margarine container, turned out Bait Fish was not allowed at this lake, which was hidden in another section of the Reg's. We both missed it, took our lumps here & the Mod's deleted my thread, lesson learned & shared with others.

I was fortunate to meet Scott when I moved to Sylvan, he's been a good resource. I would suggest you do your research, if your stuck post here or as an alternative, try sending P/M's, I know some of the guys here would have no hesitations to help out with some pearls of wisdom. I trust we all know ultimately we are all responsible for our own actions or decisions.

Wish you all the success this season.

Cheers

David

Old 05-21-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
In my post I did say I read the regs and couldn’t find what I was looking for so I was asking for help. Hoping someone could point me in the direction where to find it. I never go by what someone says cuz I don’t know them and where they got their info. I just wanna know where to find the info. I ended up finding what I was looking for by reading Alberta realm and then following a link to my wild Alberta and then finding info on there that helped me figure out the regs. By reading what it said in a different body of water than what I am fishing. I understand there are people asking questions just looking for a hand out and being lazy but I don’t believe my post came across that way. Anyways. I just get annoyed with the people on here that don’t wanna help and just get mad you even made a post. Also I have no idea why my thread got closed. I couldn’t even make a reply to defend what I was asking
I read your post now.... not really sure why people jumped all over you. Seemed like a good question from my view. And yah you even tried to find the answer before asking.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:12 PM

Civility , another side effect of covid19. Plus , they do call it Angry Outdoorsman for a reason .😁
Old 05-21-2020, 09:22 PM

Default Why are people

Seems like on this forum there are a few people who are very helpful, and willing to help someone out if they can. On the other hand, there are a lot who just seem to like to bash and ridicule. Probably the worst forum to have this problem from what I’ve seen.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:19 PM

Thanks guys. I’ve been on here for many years and seen lots of people at the bad end of a thread and that was the first time I was. Not very fun or helpful.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 PM

Dont let the butts on here get you down.

There are people on here who can be/will be helpful.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. I’ve been on here for many years and seen lots of people at the bad end of a thread and that was the first time I was. Not very fun or helpful.
The mod that shut your first thread down was out to save you from a few on this site,he 's a very decent person and an all around straight up shooter.

He just seen it coming and ended it, but there's tons of great guys on this site ,so the yappy ones pay no attention to and never worry about asking something.Take it with a grain of salt.

Myself if I have trouble with the regs ,I call FW .

All the best
JD
Old 05-21-2020, 10:59 PM

I grew thicker skin since joining AB outdoors

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-21-2020, 11:59 PM

To answer your locked out question....technically no. You don’t need a tag. And technically no. You can’t keep a fish every time you go.
Key word is possession. (Which includes your freezer at home).
But if you eat a fish everyday, you can keep a fish everyday.
Can’t let them stack up at home in the freezer.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:02 AM

So as long as you’ve ate the last fish you brought home, your good to bring another home.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 AM

It has to do with Alberta having vulnerable fishing opportunities. We try to maintain and promote and best we can. Some get their nickers all wound up as they take it personally. Rather ask questions and take a little bit of flak then otherwise eh
Old 05-22-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I thought the response to your question was ridiculous. I have no idea what the limit is on many waters I fish. I release everything so am only concerned with opened or closed. I also don't know the rules on gang hooks, number of hooks, baits or number of rods. I fish one fly rod with one hook.

Some people just troll the forums looking for some reason to jump on someone that made an error or isn't fully informed. The irony is that most people join forums to try and avoid making an error because they are not fully informed.

Don't lose any sleep over it and keep asking until you are comfortable. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers as evident in your other thread.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

So I never fish for walleye and caught my first one in probably close to 10 years last weekend. I thought you can only keep them if you have a tag is that still the case? Didn’t see in the regs that is says only with tags. But seams like people keep a lot more these days and a lot of lakes limits that didn’t used to? What’s the rules?

perhaps they read into your post that you kept a walleye without knowing what you can and cant keep on that body of water.....mods got spidey sense and rightfully so keeps things relatively civil....there are good people here...as with any gathering there will be a difference of opinion etc...don't sweat it.

now go get a walleye....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2020, 08:22 AM

I been around a while. When you go fishing or hunting, the onus is always on you to know the regulations for the activity you are involved in. The regs are often very hard to fully understand. The question you asked isn't that hard to find either by looking up your particular lake or by a quick call to F&W. I knew people were going to get after you pretty hard, and the question had been answered, so I shut the thread so you wouldn't get lambasted. Having said that, if you post on forums, growing a thicker skin may be advisable. Tight lines.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Dont let the butts on here get you down.

There are people on here who can be/will be helpful.
Exactly!

The mods here are all excellent, and do their best to keep the scrapping to a minimum.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
So I posted asking a question about the regs and people seam to be very angry any time someone asks a question about the regulations. I understand if you are asking something without reading them but when someone has read them and is asking for clarification people need to chill. I have t broken any laws I’m just trying to make sure I’m not before I do something. I’m not doing something and the. Asking if it’s legal after. My thread got closed and not sure why. Anyways. I had one helpful reply and the rest were just not helpful and full of anger. Thanks to those on here that like to help but those of you that are just here to get mad at people for asking a question it would be better if you just keep quiet.
lds:

I am one of the fellas that replied...I simply said to follow someone's else's advice and read the regs. Before you clarified in a later post about Sylvan, your first post was worded in a very broad manner in a general way.

So when you ask "what are the rules" some people - me included - assumed you didn't read them or gave them what I call "the once over passing glance". There are more than a few waterbodies in the province that do not require tags for the retention of walleye.

There was no way to answer your question the way it was originally worded without naming the waterbody. When you ask what are the rules...you're asking for answer that could involve quoting a more than a few pages of quotes!!! So...

Anyways, my original reply was definitely intended without anger. Perhaps a level of exasperation. lol

Tone is hard to convey over the internet. Remember that too, perhaps not all the replies were intended with a tone of anger (though I cannot speak for anyone else)...
Old 05-23-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Civility , another side effect of covid19. Plus , they do call it Angry Outdoorsman for a reason .��
Old 05-23-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I been around a while. When you go fishing or hunting, the onus is always on you to know the regulations for the activity you are involved in. The regs are often very hard to fully understand. The question you asked isn't that hard to find either by looking up your particular lake or by a quick call to F&W. I knew people were going to get after you pretty hard, and the question had been answered, so I shut the thread so you wouldn't get lambasted. Having said that, if you post on forums, growing a thicker skin may be advisable. Tight lines.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
This ^^
Why people need to post on a forum and then wonder why they didn't get an the answer they wanted... beyond me. It's like going to an AA meeting and stating "why are we all here?". A simple call to the persons that actually know is fast and simple.