Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Default Single Pin Opinion

Just went through my first season of bow hunting which I loved but i am now second guessing certain aspects of my equipment. I bought a Stinger 3G (70lb) package which has a basic three pin, low quality site. After some reading on the subject I am thinking of changing my site to a single pin, set it at 30 yards and aim 6 inches or so higher at 40 yards, and a couple of inches lower at 20. I hunt elk (or more accurately I take long walks looking for signs of elk), so I was thinking accuracy within a few inches would be OK.

Are there any other members who use a single pin option and could you suggest a brand or model that would fit by PSE?

Second question, I have read some non specific criticism of whisker bisket rests. Is this something I should be concerned about and are there different quality WB's?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 PM

Not me i need my pins set at yardage
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM

Not me i need my pins set at yardage I put that pin on the lungs i dont want to aim at the spine and hope it drops in
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 PM

I Google and searched Archery Talk on this same subject and ultimately decided that fixed pins were the best way to go for me. I think single pins, especiallythe aadjustable ones were adding one more step in the shooting process and I wanted to keep it as simple as I could.

What happens if you range your target at say 30 yards and it moves from there to 20 and then say moves again to 40? Will you have time to adjust your single pin? I wasn't sure that I could play it off most times and that seemed to be the general consensus.

OTOH others liked the open sight picture and not having to worry about using the wrong pin. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 PM

Default Hunting sight

I think you are better off with the fixed multi pin sight for hunting and would probably be more accurate than holding high or low etc. Maybe a better quality sight with 4 or 5 pins? Spott-Hogg "Bullet Proof" under $100
I have both types of sights and use the adjustable for 3-D.

As far as Whisker Bisquet rests they are one of the most popular rests for hunting. Just make sure the hole is the correct size for your arrows(should be slightly larger). And if the Whiskers are brown with some black ones near the bottom, make sure your vanes don't go through the black whiskers, they are stiffer to support the arrows weight.

Any good brand name rest should be fine, Trophy Taker etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 PM

Good advice, thank you.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 PM

I shoot a single pin now. Multi pin sights just don't work for my eyes anymore. I can't stand the clutter.

Leave it at 30 yards and hold a little low for the close shots. If the animal is at 40+ they are likely not spooked and you will have time to adjust.

If you have time to use a rangefinder you have time to use a single pin mover style sight.

The last thing you need in failing light is a cluttered up sight picture when you need to shoot some distance. A 5 or 7 pin sight will completely cover the animal and muddle the sight picture at 40+ yards.

As for whisker biscuits I loved them, but quit when I started to have broadhead and tuning problems. I may try one again if they are that different now. See other thread on drop aways and LA's comments.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 PM

Reliable single pin movers are the HHA's, Spot Hoggs, and Montana Black Golds. I used a tru glo mover before and it was ok but my new rig has an MBG on it and I like it.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Just went through my first season of bow hunting which I loved but i am now second guessing certain aspects of my equipment. I bought a Stinger 3G (70lb) package which has a basic three pin, low quality site. After some reading on the subject I am thinking of changing my site to a single pin, set it at 30 yards and aim 6 inches or so higher at 40 yards, and a couple of inches lower at 20. I hunt elk (or more accurately I take long walks looking for signs of elk), so I was thinking accuracy within a few inches would be OK.

Are there any other members who use a single pin option and could you suggest a brand or model that would fit by PSE?

Second question, I have read some non specific criticism of whisker bisket rests. Is this something I should be concerned about and are there different quality WB's?

Thanks for the advice.
A high Quality sight with Lengthy fiberoptic strands and 3 - 5 pins is the only way to go. But not are made equally!!!! There are bottom of the bin 30$ one's and then there are high quality ones. Check out Extreme Archery Sights after this weekend... Swapping Servers this weekend. You can order straight from them and they as top notch as you can get!!!
But whatever works for you, is always whats best!!!!
I just find you get what you pay for with bow sights... If it's free with your Bow, it's probably not great at all.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwyatt08 View Post
A high Quality sight with Lengthy fiberoptic strands and 3 - 5 pins is the only way to go. But not are made equally!!!! There are bottom of the bin 30$ one's and then there are high quality ones. Check out Extreme Archery Sights after this weekend... Swapping Servers this weekend. You can order straight from them and they as top notch as you can get!!!
I just find you get what you pay for with bow sights... If it's free with your Bow, it's probably not great at all.
Might sound like a dumb question but what makes a good sight? This is my first bow and I have a stock cheap PSE three pin site, if I spend $150 what will this sight do better than the cheap one? With a 5 pin sight what distances does one usually set the pins? I am fairly accurate up to 40 yards (3 out of 5 in a 8 inch circle) but at 50 yards I can barely hit the bag - it seems an impossibility to get to that distance and beyond.

Thx again for the advice.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Might sound like a dumb question but what makes a good sight? This is my first bow and I have a stock cheap PSE three pin site, if I spend $150 what will this sight do better than the cheap one? With a 5 pin sight what distances does one usually set the pins? I am fairly accurate up to 40 yards (3 out of 5 in a 8 inch circle) but at 50 yards I can barely hit the bag - it seems an impossibility to get to that distance and beyond.

First off, I am a hunter, and that is the perspective I am coming from, and I'm just passing on my experiences from over the years. Other hunters and target or competition guys willhave other values, and they will chime in.

Several things that I look for in a "good" sight are: Durability/craftsmanship, ease of adjustment and ability to maintain that adjustment, brightness of pins (although most are plenty bright now) and ease of pin replacement (they will break). The selection of custom options, such as pin colors and sizes of fiber optics is pretty important too, but I can over look that if the sight meets most of the other criterion. Don't expect all of these features to come cheap though! Everything has a price.

For my money, Spot Hogg is one of the best sights that you could ever have. You can custom order them pretty much any way you want. That being said, they dont give them away and many will argue they are too expensive. Perhaps they are, maybe they aren't. That's for you to decide.

What will the expensive sight do for you? Likely the biggest thing it will do is give you peace of mind that your sight will be in the same place to do its job when you need it to, regardless of the terrain, weather, or how it was treated on the way into the hunt. This is the durability factor. The next thing it will do is allow you to make precise adjustments ot individual pins or movements as a gang, compared to fumbling around and guessing in a lot of cases.

Most guys I see use the pins as 20/30/40/50/60 with a 5 pin sight. It's a natural way to break yardage up and does work very well. For the last 3 years I have been shooting mine at 25/40/50/60/70. It seems to be working out really good, as I get a clutter free sight picture, and have less of a decision to make as to which pin I am going to pick. Of the close to 40 big game animals I have taken with archery tackle, only 2 antelope have been further than 40 yards. So you see that for me, I only have to generally pick 1 of 2 pins. This is good! Sometimes i get really excited!

As you practice more you will be able to shoot farther distances accurately. I like to shoot the 50 or 60 yard pins as practice so that when the 15 or 20 yard shot comes it is easy (easier?) to make it. As you get better you will want to shoot farther distances to show you more acurately the errors in your form too.

I hope this help you out somehow!

Norm
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwyatt08 View Post
I have the Extreme Archery Raptor adjustable. Like it so far but have not hunted with it yet. it has the extra light to help with low light and has great light absorbtion. My favorite part is the tool less adjustment. I bought mine in Texas so I dint know who stocks them here.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:

I am running a 5 pin bone collector with a 8" dovetail, and there is no looking back for me... I like not having to use and allen key to make sight adjustments on the fly. Micro adjustments rule!

No such thing as a dumb question here mate!

I have my 5 pin at 20 30, 40, 50, 60.
I like small pins (.019)that light up like christmas lights amd are really easy to see.The size of your peep sight in accordance to your sight makes a diffrence to... 1/4 is good for 2 in diameter housed sights. But some guys just like 3/16 for low light and shot placement, no matter diameter of housing on sight. I would recommend a 3/16 on a smaller than 2" sight housing...

If you are new to Archery, 50 yard shots should take some practice.
Just remember to find your anchor point and use it consistently every shot.
Consistency in everything. Same pull, same anchor point, and breath, same release. THUG!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Work on that 40 yard group first. Once it's tight as you can get it, 50 should be easier.
Did you buy an internet package with precut arrows?
My buddy did and got some BuckBusters? that were not the right spine for his draw weight and were cut way too long...
If you can nail 20 and 30 targets easy, you may need to check the spine of your arrows.
I use medium priced Gold Tips, because I shoot alot, period. For me, they are the best bang for the buck, but thats preference.
You need your arrows cut to right length and use proper spine for Draw Weight. That might be something to check out...
And keep that string Waxxed!!!!
Cheers
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM

..Chasing Elk with a single pin just wouldnt work as it takes too much time as elk action can be fast and furious..as it can be for other species also..

I also have a six pin sight...up to 70 yards...and practise up to 70 yards a lot and as stated that makes 20-30 even fifty seem easy after a while..

I have Montana Black Golds...with 1st 2nd and 3rd axis...outstanding sights with super bright pin concept..

that combined with the ole Ugly Cookie [WB] has proven to be deadly for myself...

your doing right by asking opinion's and learning from other's experiance

Neil
Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 AM

I use a single pin for target shooting, mostly because I need to be able to make a precise off yard shot (eg 32 yards)

But hunting I use a black gold 5 pin site, it's very durable, and micro adjusts so I know my shots are dead on at 20 30 40 50. Now I disagree with most guys in what they say the acceptable distance is for them. Personally I have no issues stacking arrows at 50 yards. However I don't bow hunt to make amazing shots, I bowhunt to get close to the game. I like the feeling of a bull anything 15 yards away. So I set my limits at 30 yards. In my case I could probably use a single pin set at 25 yards and be just fine. But I believe practice at long distance is the best way to be accurate at close distance.

My thoughts have changed on my effective distance. I used to be that guy prepared to make a long shot. Maybe I still am, but this year I have really started re evaluating just what it is about hunting that keeps me out every day during hunting season and as soon as it's over I start preparing for next season, and realized it's the skills I have learned over the years, and with those skills came a greater respect for the animals I hunt. Now if I'm gonna take the life of this creature I want to feel like I earned every pound of meat it yields.

So to answer your original question, take the time to figure out what you want out of bowhunting. Your the only person you have to satisfie with your decision.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 PM

Thank you all for your input and advice. All of it was very helpful and persuasive. It is easy to read an article or hear an opinion and start heading in that direction. There is so much enthusiasm in the sport.

After reading a few other threads I decided to go with an IQ Retina 4 pin. I like the idea of losing the peep which I think will open my field of view in a similar way I was hoping reducing to a single pin would. I also hope that the retina will help build more consistency in anchor spot and bow grip, both elements I need to work on.

Again, thx very much.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 PM

Let us know how it works. I'm intrigued by this sight.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for your input and advice. All of it was very helpful and persuasive. It is easy to read an article or hear an opinion and start heading in that direction. There is so much enthusiasm in the sport.

After reading a few other threads I decided to go with an IQ Retina 4 pin. I like the idea of losing the peep which I think will open my field of view in a similar way I was hoping reducing to a single pin would. I also hope that the retina will help build more consistency in anchor spot and bow grip, both elements I need to work on.

Again, thx very much.
Right on, I think that if you put the time in yo will get all you want and more out of this sight! Mines been on a few days now and I'm liking it more than I thought I would! Good luck!

Norm
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I use a single pin for target shooting, mostly because I need to be able to make a precise off yard shot (eg 32 yards)

But hunting I use a black gold 5 pin site, it's very durable, and micro adjusts so I know my shots are dead on at 20 30 40 50. Now I disagree with most guys in what they say the acceptable distance is for them. Personally I have no issues stacking arrows at 50 yards. However I don't bow hunt to make amazing shots, I bowhunt to get close to the game. I like the feeling of a bull anything 15 yards away. So I set my limits at 30 yards. In my case I could probably use a single pin set at 25 yards and be just fine. But I believe practice at long distance is the best way to be accurate at close distance.

My thoughts have changed on my effective distance. I used to be that guy prepared to make a long shot. Maybe I still am, but this year I have really started re evaluating just what it is about hunting that keeps me out every day during hunting season and as soon as it's over I start preparing for next season, and realized it's the skills I have learned over the years, and with those skills came a greater respect for the animals I hunt. Now if I'm gonna take the life of this creature I want to feel like I earned every pound of meat it yields.

So to answer your original question, take the time to figure out what you want out of bowhunting. Your the only person you have to satisfie with your decision.
SmokinJoe ...some very good points there..when choosing a sight there is deifinatly that "I can shoot range" and that shooters effective range...

On our outdoor range, set up here at the 40 yd target...
I have BOO BOO the bear ...he is a 1/4 inch steel bear with a generous vital area cut out of it..

I ask the shooter what their effective Range is...most will say 60-70 yards...I say ok....move Boo Boo out to 50 and say shoot ba three arrow round at Boo Boo...

As you can see the vitals are very generous...most times the first shot is TWANG...second ..TWANG or many at least once out of the three...some three out of the three .. lol

We call these Boo Boo Flower's ...its what the shooters arrow looks like after hitting the steel Boo Boo...

so than I bring it up to 40...which Most will put the arrowws thru at 40...some will still hit Boo Boo...so I keep moving Boo Boo closer until the can put a group thru..at least one or two lol...

Than I say...This my friend is your effective range...

for most its 40 yards...for some its only 30 yards and they are shocked...they wasted some good arrows but learned something...everytime they hit the bear I remind them that is a wounded animal and would most likely it would be never found..Makes them think hard...

Just because one has a 70 yard pin and shoots out there it doesnt mean that is an effective range for that perticular shooter..

Neil

bear etc 050.jpg

bear etc 051.jpg

bear etc 061.jpg
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 AM

Lost you hit the nail on the head. thats a good training model! How many guys take marginal shots when they are not effective at that range. I think some of it is pressure to get a kill but not always.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM

That bear is an awesome idea Neil! I think I'll mention to the local club that we should get one made. I think the local archery shop might doanate it, it would be a real money maker! lol.

Great point about effective range! One thing to add is that a lot of people dont consider the ambient conditions and how they can affect their effective range. Things like rain and snow and wind can really cut down on your range. Physical conditioning can also have an effect. For example if we have to boot it for a half a mile to cut off that herd of elk, you may recover faster than me and restore your effective range way before me. Just a couple of other things to throw into the mix.

Norm
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM

...Yup ..lol I have a plastic 45 gallon drum as a bear bait barrel by one of the 3D bear targets to shoot from a tri-pod stand...

The barrel is stock full of Boo Boo arrows from all the .." Heck thats an easy shot" guys ....LOL

Neil
Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 PM

I use an HHA single pin set up dialed in for up to 80 yards. Have used a single pin set up for years and would not go back to a multi-pin set up.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice.
I use an
hha sight..it is single pin,,also has a yard /meter adjustment on it..i highly recommend it..and yes it will fit any pse bow,,also I used whisker biscuits for years,,the bristles do wear out and you have to buy a new on every 6-12 months..but they are a good hunting rest..bomb proof...but..i have switched to a ripcord drop away rest..hope ,,thing is,,i shoot a lot...so im always looking to upgrade to better gear..
Old 03-18-2013, 12:40 PM

I put a new trophy ridge 5 pin on my new bow I got a couple months ago,I pulled it off and put my HHA on it.I like the sinlge pin way better.

timba
Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM

Two things I take into consideration on how many pins set at what yardages
are ...
1 the total grain weight of my arrow plus my peak DW setting.
2 the diameter of the kill zone on the animals I intend to hunt.

For hunting deer I'm thinking 6" or less groups (broadside lungs) 3" or less
for heart shots. For turkey 2" groups.

I used to shoot 70lb peak, in the last 7 or 8 years I've been shooting 65-64lbs.

All the game I've taken over the years were under 30 yards.

I've used the same sight but changed pin configuration from year to year
sometimes just to accomdate the situation that season.

Typically I had 3 or 4 pins setup out to 30-40 yards and that was fine for
Deer and Turkey and didn't crowd that bad, Elk lung vitals are bigger than whitetails and longer range shots could be expected.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Probably one of the toughest, simple design sights I've ever used was made by Cobra back in the 80's. It was tall and narrow. Had a spring-like center rad going from top to bottom inside a guard. The pins were beads on the rod that you turned one way or the other to adjust elevation. Windage was adjusted by the 2 mounting bolts. Really huged the bow and had a low profile. Killed hundreds of gophers and a few moose without a peep sight or release with that thing. When low light situations made it hard to see the beads, I put flourescent nail polish on them. Brightened things up enough for me.
I have a 5 pin micro adjust sight on my new bow and I think there's way too much stuff on that thing that can go wrong. Simple worked well for me.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa View Post
Probably one of the toughest, simple design sights I've ever used was made by Cobra back in the 80's. It was tall and narrow. Had a spring-like center rad going from top to bottom inside a guard. The pins were beads on the rod that you turned one way or the other to adjust elevation. Windage was adjusted by the 2 mounting bolts. Really huged the bow and had a low profile. Killed hundreds of gophers and a few moose without a peep sight or release with that thing. When low light situations made it hard to see the beads, I put flourescent nail polish on them. Brightened things up enough for me.
I have a 5 pin micro adjust sight on my new bow and I think there's way too much stuff on that thing that can go wrong. Simple worked well for me.

Im trying to fill a mud hole out back with all those old sights as a fill ...lol

oh ya remember them well all the sights were if you make a change ..loosen two nuts to move up and down then screw in out out to addjust...then same burtal proceedure with all the rest of pins to make up for the one adjustment...and of course nuts were too small and close to eachother to do with fingers...than the constant painting pins...lol dont miss em at all..

Neil
Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 PM

Nope. You're thinking of a different sight. Windage never had to be adjusted once you set it. The elevation was adjusted by turning the beads like a nut on a bolt, individually. They were snug on the spring, like ny lock nuts. No bolts or nuts to loosen before adjustment. Once set, no need to adjust. I still have one on a high country bow. Think I have another kicking around in a toolbox. Maybe I'll put it on a matrix I just bought as a spare!! Lol. That should get someone revved up.