Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 10:38 AM

Default Full Length resizing and preventing case head separation.

Apparently this is a problem that I was not aware of and there appears to be several myths around it and neck sizing only. I’ve added three videos advocating FL resizing that include the why’s from credible sources to illustrate the point. I have included my own simple tutorial below that.

https://youtu.be/ECUcIeak7CM

https://youtu.be/lLG2kSrD40g

Start this one at 11:00 minutes.

https://youtu.be/ZrTKhVPPi34

Here is how to do it with simple tools, a factory chamber, and an I care more than zip attitude.

Here is 308 brass fired in some unknown chamber that I’m going to resize for my sons Kimber Montana 7-08.

A standard FL die. Screw die down until it touches the shell holder and back off one full turn.

Remove your firing pin assembly so you feel no resistance when closing the bolt. I have smoked the brass for demonstration purposes. This works on a rifle with a fixed blade ejector and will not with one that has a plunger type. Resistance and feel works for both. If the firing pin assembly has been removed.

Move die down until the resistance when chambering the round just goes away. This shows about two thousandths bump. Notice the slight ring.

Or do the above process with this $40 tool. This one is from Sinclair.

This expander ball gives between three a four thousandths neck tension which is plenty, but will do.

You can fire these Winchester cases, unsponsored, in a factory chamber, using standard dies 50 times and they will not separate. AND you do not have all the baggage associated with neck sizing only.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-16-2018, 11:17 AM

I have never owned a neck sizer, been FL sizing like this for years and enjoying the results. Less trimming, likely better accuracy and long brass life (unless you stretch primer pockets) have been the norm...
Old 06-16-2018, 11:54 AM

You may avoid case separation, but you are still working the necks far more than required, so they will harden sooner, and split sooner if you don't anneal the necks. I like my neck bushing dies for that reason.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:14 PM

This is illustrating the use of standard dies. Someone said I needed specialized equipment to do this. The reason I have pin gauges is to determine bushing size.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-16-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You may avoid case separation, but you are still working the necks far more than required, so they will harden sooner, and split sooner if you don't anneal the necks. I like my neck bushing dies for that reason.
Agree. In a factory chambered 308 the neck can expand up to about 0.346 and if resized in a conventional die will get reduced to about 0.334 ...then up to about 0.338 with a seated bullet (Federal Brass). My experience with that yellow brass is that necks will start to split after about 15 (moderate) reloads.
I now use 308 Win chambers with 0.340 NK and with a 0.336 bushing with a seated bullet back at 0.338. With Lapua brass, I am at 23 reloads with no split necks on un-annealed brass.
Never had a case head separation, but I pick up the odd one at the Range.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This is illustrating the use of standard dies. Someone said I needed specialized equipment to do this. The reason I have pin gauges is to determine bushing size.
I don't need pin gauges to determine the bushing size, I just seat a few bullets, and measure the neck OD with a bullet seated.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I don't need pin gauges to determine the bushing size, I just seat a few bullets, and measure the neck OD with a bullet seated.
You might be surprised.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Have been doing this with my brass for over ten years. Even belted cartridges.some belted cases have excessive shoulder space so on your first firing the brass is stretched sight from the get go. I use a expander ball from a 338 to stretch the necks out then run them into the die until it leaves a small false shoulder and a slight crush fit into the chamber. Once loaded these cases will blow out rather than stretch and you get much longer case life. I have some winchester brass going on its 15th reload in the 300 WM with no signs of head separation. I do aneal every 5 reloads though