Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Buying a used RV on Kijiji

I have been looking for RV for a while and going to take the plunge.
I was wondering what most people offer for an RV on Kijiji.
am I going to offend someone if I offer 75-80% of asking?
Just want to know thoughts.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2018, 10:35 AM

Shop around and compare prices of comparable units, and look beyond your local area to get a firm handle on what is available in what condition.
I would thing most people add 5-10% to the final price they would settle on. Offer what you think is fair for the unit you are asking for, but be prepared to pay full buck if it's a fair price.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 AM

I have been looking all around the province. so for sure taking that into consideration
Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 AM

Ask yourself if you were selling the same unit would you be offended or just annoyed ? There seems to be an assumption that someone selling is always desperate for money and willing to take a loss on the other hand some buyers are a bunch of cheapskates looking for a free lunch. Good luck
Old 06-15-2018, 10:42 AM

I work in an industry where things can be marked up as high as 100% and as little as 2%. So my intention is to see where people negotiate to as to not offend. But at the same time i want to get the most for my dollars.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Probably save yourself thousands if you wait till the fall to buy.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro155 View Post
I work in an industry where things can be marked up as high as 100% and as little as 2%. So my intention is to see where people negotiate to as to not offend. But at the same time i want to get the most for my dollars.
Deals are out there check this out

https://www.sgi.sk.ca/lcgi/salvage_b...3&store=Regina
Old 06-15-2018, 11:09 AM

Put our motorhome up yesterday. Should have asked more sold in 1 hour for what i was asking. Good karma.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:14 AM

My father in law used to work for SGI as an adjustor. That is a good idea actually.
Funny how things work, friends of mine pu up their truck camper and only got 1 inquiry and offer of like 60% asking. So karma on that end too.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Put our motorhome up yesterday. Should have asked more sold in 1 hour for what i was asking. Good karma.
Don't be that guy.

Was dealing on a $1500 tent trailer last weekend which ended up with me taking a close to 3 hour round trip Sunday drive to check it out and a handshake agreement to pick it up Monday once they got a new copy of the registration the next morning. An overall real nice experience, seemed like decent people, like 1 step away from being invited in for supper decent people.

By Monday afternoon no call so reached out myself and the guy tells me no problem come on down after work. End up making the drive again and when I get there the slug proceeds to tell me that due to more interest in it they decided to up the asking price by $1000 bucks, but thanks for coming out.... His to sell I suppose, but still gave him an earful and wished him good luck in no uncertain terms.

Big hailstorm in the area last night though... Golf ball size I've heard. Hopefully the slug was too lazy/forgot to roll the camper in!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:24 PM

Cripes.

If you can trust a guy on his word AND a handshake, I give up.

What a loser.

He'll think he won this round but he'll always get screwed over cuz he can't trust ANYoNE himself.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Cripes.

If you can trust a guy on his word AND a handshake, I give up.

What a loser.

He'll think he won this round but he'll always get screwed over cuz he can't trust ANYoNE himself.
I've "held" stuff for people based on a handshake, yeah well,. Lost many potential buyers because of that. No more.

Goes both ways.. Unless a deposit was paid, it's fair game.

No sale is final until cash in hand.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:16 PM

Buy in September/October, end of season. Or Rent for weekend.......... No storage fee, no insurance, no maintenance, no depreciation.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Banned

Don’t go by what the price is and expect to go in at 75-80 % of asking. Do your research and know what stuff is worth, Some people ask,,, say 12900 because the want 10 as thats what its really worth. Others price it for what its worth. The second group is the ones you will offend and miss out on a good deal. I just sold one and had people call and off er me less without even seeing it. Know your game and dont rely on asking price.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren008 View Post
Don't be that guy.

Was dealing on a $1500 tent trailer last weekend which ended up with me taking a close to 3 hour round trip Sunday drive to check it out and a handshake agreement to pick it up Monday once they got a new copy of the registration the next morning. An overall real nice experience, seemed like decent people, like 1 step away from being invited in for supper decent people.

By Monday afternoon no call so reached out myself and the guy tells me no problem come on down after work. End up making the drive again and when I get there the slug proceeds to tell me that due to more interest in it they decided to up the asking price by $1000 bucks, but thanks for coming out.... His to sell I suppose, but still gave him an earful and wished him good luck in no uncertain terms.

Big hailstorm in the area last night though... Golf ball size I've heard. Hopefully the slug was too lazy/forgot to roll the camper in!

That stinks. I wouldnt pull that crap. Again i was just suprised how much interest i recived right away. I paid $2500 more than what i sold it for and got 6 years of enjoyment out of it. So i made out really good and ferl the buyer got a fair deal.

Buy and sell world can be a blessing and a curse.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:29 PM

As a seller I don't care if you offer me 20% of my asking price just don't waste my time doing it.
You send an email or text offering that low, I have the choice of either responding or simply saying no. Nobody loses.

But if you were to ask me a million questions or come test drive it and look it over just to throw me a number you had in mind way before you even seen the vehicle then that's when it really gets to me.

I don't think asking 75-80% is bad, but myself personally, I only go look at anything if I'm willing to pay for it full price and then whatever discount I get is extra or if I've already agreed on a lower price over the phone or text.

Best of luck with your search, also don't forget to check Facebook, their marketplace is slowing growing as well.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:55 PM

Pretty easy to say firm price or best offer.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:19 PM

Make the seller commit to a price first. Then negotiate (take control). When you come with and offer. Then shut up (silence). Make the seller squirm. It will be ok, or no. Then ask the person what can we do make this work? They will give you the answer.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks

You're buying at the highest price if you buy now through mid September and it's probably not a good idea if it's your first Rv to just jump in and head for a campsite. Lots to learn on the maintenance, winterizing, generator, batteries etc etc side.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:33 AM

Agreed. I’ve bought lots of items where I’ve said something to the effect of “if it is as described will you take xx”. Usually this is because I’ve done my research, know that everything has issues, and include a buffer zone in my budget to account for issues. When I show up, quick once over to ensure it’s as described and off I go. Lots of times stuff has issues and a buyer never discloses everything. But time is money. On the flip, I usually disclose every single issue and price accordingly. If someone offers low, sure no prob. I agreed to a price and buddy shows up (as I’m receiving phone calls) only to want to negotiate further after a long test ride to tell me he needs to leave a deposit and come back tomorrow. What a pain in the butt, and the buyer is clearly not valuing my time - had he had cash in hand he probably would have gotten a better deal.

The best deals come from knowing your product, being honest about what you pay, and having your s*** squared away.

Recently I bought an RV. Got it for a song, one quick look around and told the guy I’d shovel his yard (bought in feb) and tow it away that day. Guy said everything worked, but it needed a water heater. Whatever, planned on having to replace at least one appliance. Couldn’t be happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
As a seller I don't care if you offer me 20% of my asking price just don't waste my time doing it.
You send an email or text offering that low, I have the choice of either responding or simply saying no. Nobody loses.

But if you were to ask me a million questions or come test drive it and look it over just to throw me a number you had in mind way before you even seen the vehicle then that's when it really gets to me.

I don't think asking 75-80% is bad, but myself personally, I only go look at anything if I'm willing to pay for it full price and then whatever discount I get is extra or if I've already agreed on a lower price over the phone or text.

Best of luck with your search, also don't forget to check Facebook, their marketplace is slowing growing as well.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:50 AM

When yo are ready to make the deal with the previous owner, make sure to ask if there are any leins on it.

A co worker bought a 2014 trailer on kijiji, he offered them 17k, he then asked if it was paid for , the owner said no we still owe 19k.

So obviously those people had a payment plan for 100.00 a month for 25 years.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:36 AM

its your money . if your nor offended by their asking price they shouldnt be offended by your offer . if its close to what they want they will counter offer . if not they will tell you good bye .
Old 06-16-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks
I find that really off-putting. Why would you offer someone %75 of asking price? Is it because they are out to lunch on their price? Or are low balling them?

If the former then you shouldn't care. If the latter then I say tread lightly and hope the person is really deperstate to counter.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:47 AM

If I were selling and you offered me 75-80%, I’d wish u a good day sir, but that’s me.
Mostly because anything I list is priced to sell, it’s not listed to test the market.
I’m looking for an RV too, and prices are pretty good now as far as I can see, but like others say, better prices in Aug or Sept.
But ya, recognize a good price and offer accordingly, me, $12k RV, if I want it, $11k I’d hope for.

TBark
Old 06-16-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
its your money . if your not offended by their asking price they shouldnt be offended by your offer . if its close to what they want they will counter offer . if not they will tell you good bye .
This makes sense.

I have found that there are quite a few people want to make set prices a test of wills and ego. They want to control the deal like mentioned. It's up to the seller to give the buyer their glory or not.

Enduro 155 - If you are seriously looking I am aware of a 40' RV for sale that was barely used. 30K though. PM if interested. I know the sellers for a lifetime and know they never used it much.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Find a guy that has access to the RV repo auctions
You can get awesome deals
Old 06-16-2018, 10:58 PM

I saw a boat freshly listed on Kijiji (ad was less than an hour old) seemed like a very very good deal so made arrangements to come out right away and see it. Boat, Motor and Trailer was 6-7 years old and, looking at the pictures looked to be great.

I got there and the guy tells me the boat was used twice. I could tell it had been sitting and was in spectacular condition and worth thousands of dollar more than he had advertised it for.

I made the deal with the guy, on the spot, for full asking. I went to the bank, but started thinking.

I took out an extra $1000 because, to be honest, I was thrilled with the deal but I wanted to be able to sleep and live with myself. If I give the guy and extra grand - I'm still getting a great deal and he's getting a little more than he expected. It was a feel good win/win.

I get back less than 30 minutes later and the guy is still cordial but it looks like his mind is occupied as we draw up the paperwork in the garage. I fill out the paperwork and tell him I am paying him $1000 more becuase the boat is a good deal, exactly what I'm looking for and very happy to pay a little extra for it. The guy looks pretty stunned and says "I really appreciate your honesty".

As we are in the garage still his wife comes into the garage and said "that phone is still ringing and you are not selling that boat" - so I handed the lady the money and said - there's an extra $1000 there for you. I said "the boat, as advertised, is priced a little below value and there an extra grand there for you guys" expecting her to be pleased - but the look on her face just gets more sour.

The lady announced that there was an offer at $2000 over asking on the phone and that she was to call him back (the guy that made the offer) after her husband told me "to take a hike with my low ball offer".

I wasn't about to get into it with this guys wife, and luckily before I said anything the guy spoke up and said to his wife, quite firmly, "the boat is sold".

He turned to me and said "I appreciate what you did and the boat is yours". and shook my hand. His wife threw the money on the floor of the garage and slammed the door and went back inside the house. I helped the guy pick up all his cash all over the floor in relative silence only exchanging small talk. He knew and I knew there is honour amongst good guys.

I hooked up the boat, thanked the guy, and left.

Good Karma breeds more Good Karma.

I wonder if these two are still married.

I used that boat for many years and it was great. Always caught fish for me.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:00 PM

I will always pay more for a unit that has never been lived in for months in a hot climate, been stored under cover when not used, doesn't have mice, and has been kept clean and in repair. May try for 500 to 1500 off but expect to pay near to full price.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You're buying at the highest price if you buy now through mid September and it's probably not a good idea if it's your first Rv to just jump in and head for a campsite. Lots to learn on the maintenance, winterizing, generator, batteries etc etc side.
I actually own an older 16'er. it just so happens the wife wants something bigger. Pretty familiar with running batteries, generators, etc....
Old 06-18-2018, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I actually own an older 16'er. it just so happens the wife wants something bigger. Pretty familiar with running batteries, generators, etc....
Best answer in a long time.