Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 AM

Default Tikka Mags

Has anyone tried swapping their M tikka mag for the L?

I can’t load my 165gr TTSX’s in 308 to the length I want because of the shorter mag, but I swapped in my L mag from my 7mm Rem Mag and the 308 seems to strip and feed fine using a dummy round
Old 06-13-2018, 08:49 AM

Is there not a bolt stop on the short action cartridges, that would possibly cause you to short stroke the action so to speak?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Not on the tikkas, they are all long actions.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:30 AM

You just need a long action bolt stop or cut back your short bolt stop. I ran a 30-06 mag in a 260 with an '06 bolt stop, no issues.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Not on the tikkas, they are all long actions.
Yes, but they have different length bolt stops.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-13-2018, 11:21 AM

corner cutting style of mass production manufacturing.... it blows me away of how many people bend over backwards to support this brand.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:45 PM

The vaunted pre 64 model 70 is the same.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The vaunted pre 64 model 70 is the same.
Yup, as was the Post 64, or "push feed" Model 70 up until the late 80's.

As was the Savage 110 for many years.

But Tikka takes the heat......hilarious.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:57 PM

Cause tikka is still doing it... how about make a short action for short action cartridges. But whatever, if someone wants to buy a long action for their short action cartridge and have plastic magazines and spend that much money, and then pay more to upgrade the plastic parts with aftermarket metal parts, To each their own.

Last edited by Nyksta; 06-13-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
You just need a long action bolt stop or cut back your short bolt stop. I ran a 30-06 mag in a 260 with an '06 bolt stop, no issues.
I've done the same thing to my 260.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:53 PM

When it's time for me to spend my dollars, I end up agreeing with you, and have never bought a Tikka T3 because I can get another rifle in an appropriately sized action, and that ends up being a tie breaker.

That said, I have friends who shoot them, and they are slick and accurate rifles of infinitely better quality than any of the other budget guns (Ruger American, Savage Axis, Browning AB3, Winchester XPR, Kimber Hunter ;-) Remington 783 (gross) Weatherby Vanguard, you name it).

I would personally take a Tikka over a Savage any day, and a Rem 700 too, basic models anyways and as an off the shelf rifle.

Last edited by SakoShooter; 06-13-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Cause tikka is still doing it... how about make a short action for short action cartridges. But whatever, if someone wants to buy a long action for their short action cartridge and have plastic magazines and spend that much money, and then pay more to upgrade the plastic parts with aftermarket metal parts, To each their own.
I’m not sure why you would want to waste money on aftermarket parts when very few rifles shoot as good as a Tikka right out of the box.

As far as the Tikkas being long actions, this works well when you want to seat the bullets out near the lands as is the case with my 6.5x55 and 6.5-284.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:32 PM

For some "short action" chamberings a Tikka makes a lot of sense as most short action mag boxes are too short to seat bullets out where they should be in some chamberings. These chamberings would include, the 260, 7mm-08, 6mm Rem, 257 Rob and a few others. With a bolt stop swap and a longer mag you have more seating flexibility.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
When it's time for me to spend my dollars, I end up agreeing with you, and have never bought a Tikka T3 because I can get another rifle in an appropriately sized action, and that ends up being a tie breaker.

That said, I have friends who shoot them, and they are slick and accurate rifles of infinitely better quality than any of the other budget guns (Ruger American, Savage Axis, Browning AB3, Winchester XPR, Kimber Hunter ;-) Remington 783 (gross) Weatherby Vanguard, you name it).

I would personally take a Tikka over a Savage any day, and a Rem 700 too, basic models anyways and as an off the shelf rifle.
Tikka t3 are priced 1.5x to 2x more than some if the rifles you listed. Not the same price range at all.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 PM

yes, they're on the high side of the "budget" category, but what all of these rifles have in common is that they are a less expensive line with certain cost cutting measures within their brand.

Ok, technically Sako and Tikka are branded differently, but they use the same barrels and same (excellent) triggers. You could not say the same for most brands budget lines, and some are truly atrocious when compared with their brands flagship models.

Weatherby Vanguards have a very good reputation, but in overall quality of materials (gritty stamped safety, average to below average trigger) they show their price point.

Tikka rifle have their limitations and compromises, but are well built, with excellent triggers and good barrels, and everything is nicely fit and works smoothly. They are fine rifles.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:19 PM

Well I can confirm that the 7mm Rem Mag magazine works well with the 308 Win Tikka.

I put about 20 rounds through the 308 today with the large magazine and there was 0 issues with feeding. The bolt stops at the same point on both rifles so no bolt swap required.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
yes, they're on the high side of the "budget" category, but what all of these rifles have in common is that they are a less expensive line with certain cost cutting measures within their brand.

Ok, technically Sako and Tikka are branded differently, but they use the same barrels and same (excellent) triggers. You could not say the same for most brands budget lines, and some are truly atrocious when compared with their brands flagship models.

Weatherby Vanguards have a very good reputation, but in overall quality of materials (gritty stamped safety, average to below average trigger) they show their price point.

Tikka rifle have their limitations and compromises, but are well built, with excellent triggers and good barrels, and everything is nicely fit and works smoothly. They are fine rifles.
careful now......that much logic and common sense might make heads explode 'round here,....just sayin'....
Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 PM

Wink Tikka's Value

I can speak from experience??? Just take one out of the box, scope it and try some targets, you'll be impressed as I was. They are shooters right out of the box, no mod;s need unless you want to dress em up !! KCOF/ Just my opinion.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Anyone who laughs at Tikka has never shot one, period. They are an excellent gun, made to almost Sako levels at a hell of a lot less cost. I consider Sako probably one of the top 3 factory guns on the market.

As to short versus long action. The idea that it makes a big difference is elitism. I have ultra short to ultra long actions and I can't tell the difference shooting at game with them or even fast fire on a target. If anyone can really notice the difference in cycle time between a short and long action they are a much better rapid fire bolt guy than me. The one thing that does mess me up is bolts with a 60 degree lift. Shooting fast I always feel like the bolt isn't completely open and it messes up my rhythm. I would never use one on game, particularly dangerous game.

As to original question, Mag swaps often work just fine. It makes re-barreling Tikkas to other cartridges a bunch simpler.