Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 PM
redgreen

Default Voting at the 2009 AGM and Convention

Good news folks!!! It was presented at the Presidents meeting in April that the trappers of Alberta would not be able to vote due to the expiration of trappers licences June 30th with no possibility of renewal. The Sundre and Rocky Locals have definately confirmed that ASRD will have the means to renew ALL trappers licences Province wide commencing the first week of June. This is great because it was proposed to have a second "AGM" sometime in the Fall and this will save everyone who would like to vote a double trip and expenses to be able to vote on issues. Directors are a big part of this and I believe are all are up for re-election as is any other one year term executive. I think the Vice-President falls into this category as well.
I sure hope we have the maximum of attendance at the (we call it now The Rendezvous!!!) as possible. I see nothing yet has been posted on the ATA website but we will be advertising the event on "Let's Go Outdoors" with Michael Short commencing mid May.

So there is no excuse, renew your licence and head South!!! There's lots of issues to discuss in the open floor and lots of activities for everyone to enjoy...it will be a great event!!!

Last edited by redgreen; 05-02-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Agm

Hey I had a thought... I wonder since there is usually fish and wildlife members at these things anyway, if renewals could be done right at the AGM for people who need to renew....
Old 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Default Re-new licence

I think that's a great idea to be able to re new our licence right at the AGM...that would save a lot of people time and money as well.....

GREAT IDEA !!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:41 PM
redgreen

Default voting

I will confirm that we can have a Fish and Wildlife Representative to handle renewals at the convention. On first inquiry to quote " not a problem". Fast Elk that was a very good idea!!! I am still waiting for the Westlock office (Karen) who I emailed last week and Gordy Klassen who I just emailed this Monday evening.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:29 PM

what are we voting on?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 AM
redgreen

Default Votong

We would be voting on all one year term executive...Vice President, Directors. Also any proposed resolutions forwarded by Locals. Also as in the AGM held last year in GP there would be a financial report to members, open floor discussion, executive summary of events during the year and proposed events forthcoming, etc..
Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Default Rendez-vous vs AGM and Elections

I believe the fall AGM/election in Westlock is being looked at as a perminant scenario to provide a central location for trappers province wide to attend an AGM and cast their vote in an election.
There has been a lot of grumbling on this issue in the past so separating the Trappers Rendez-Vous from the AGM/Electoral process will solve this problem and still allow different locals the opportunity to host a convention.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
redgreen

Default Voting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Abercrombie View Post
I believe the fall AGM/election in Westlock is being looked at as a perminant scenario to provide a central location for trappers province wide to attend an AGM and cast their vote in an election.
There has been a lot of grumbling on this issue in the past so separating the Trappers Rendez-Vous from the AGM/Electoral process will solve this problem and still allow different locals the opportunity to host a convention.
I'm glad Bill you said it is "being looked at". I would hope this change would be effected by a membership vote. With the resolution time frame outlined in the ATA by-laws, it would be too late for a resolution even this year to change this for next year, but could be put forward at next year's "Rendezvous" if the resolution is proposed. This year has already been advertised in the Trappers Magazine as AGM and Convention and some tickets have been sold with this premis. It is now confirmed all trappers who wish to vote this year can under ATA by-law conditions as the only conflicting issue was trapline licence renewals and that is not a problem.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM

I'm not a 100% sure but I think then executive can make that change without a vote at the AGM. Certainly a vote is not required for a change of venue, and it will save problems with the license renewal requirement.

To separate AGM and convention...I'm pretty sure a vote is not required, but not 100%.

Also it is tough to run a good meeting with demonstrations, workshops and the trade show going on at the same time.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 PM
redgreen

Default notification

Quote:
I'm not a 100% sure but I think then executive can make that change without a vote at the AGM. Certainly a vote is not required for a change of venue, and it will save problems with the license renewal requirement.

To separate AGM and convention...I'm pretty sure a vote is not required, but not 100%.

Also it is tough to run a good meeting with demonstrations, workshops and the trade show going on at the same time.
Well Bill as a Director of the ATA you must have been at a few AGM and Conventions. Seems they always ran together with demonstrations, trade show etc.. including the 2004 one which made major changes in the bylaws of our organization without problems. The executive of the ATA have already announced the AGM to be in Sundre and have publicized this up to this month, so why the change now??? I don't believe you as executive can change that now and why would you want to? We have a great program planned down here to get the maximum amount of trappers, youths etc. participating in voting and the other activities planned. There is no problem with licence renewals so tell me Bill why now the change?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 AM

When the issue was raised at the presidents meeting we did decide to go with a fall meeting to solve the license issue. But we also saw this as an opportunity to separate what are really two distinct events.
To be fair to all trappers in Alberta the AGM should be held in a central location with equal access to all. That way the voting attendees are not over repesented depending on what geographic location the convention is being held.
Everyone is looking forward to a great get together in Sundre, and I do not think there is anything so pressing on the AGM agenda that cannot wait until a fall meeting.
If there had been a lot of desent or non confidence at the presidents meeting then we would likely try to press forward with an AGM in Sundre. But that was not the case...I think by the end of the meeting the executive had the support and confidence of the majority, yourself included.
We'll try it for this year and see what the response is...I hope that answers your question.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
When the issue was raised at the presidents meeting we did decide to go with a fall meeting to solve the license issue. But we also saw this as an opportunity to separate what are really two distinct events.
To be fair to all trappers in Alberta the AGM should be held in a central location with equal access to all. That way the voting attendees are not over repesented depending on what geographic location the convention is being held.
Everyone is looking forward to a great get together in Sundre, and I do not think there is anything so pressing on the AGM agenda that cannot wait until a fall meeting.
If there had been a lot of desent or non confidence at the presidents meeting then we would likely try to press forward with an AGM in Sundre. But that was not the case...I think by the end of the meeting the executive had the support and confidence of the majority, yourself included.
We'll try it for this year and see what the response is...I hope that answers your question.

I'll tell you what Bill, as a member of the ATA and a trapper, I feel that what is going on here is a bunch of crap!! how can so few speak for so many? there had better be an AGM in Sundre as proposed! Are you all (executives)running scared?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM

What exactly should we be running scared of? As far as I know there have been no controversial resolutions submitted?

If you mean am I worried about my position as director? I took the position last year when nobody else would and have volunteered my time as best I could since then for the benifit of trappers without billing one penny for expenses or out of pocket costs which have been substantial.

I don't see anybody out there waiting to step up to the plate...perhaps you do?

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet over something, mabe we should put that on the table?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
What exactly should we be running scared of? As far as I know there have been no controversial resolutions submitted?

If you mean am I worried about my position as director? I took the position last year when nobody else would and have volunteered my time as best I could since then for the benifit of trappers without billing one penny for expenses or out of pocket costs which have been substantial.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet over something, mabe we should put that on the table?
why should the members have to attend 2 functions this year to satisfy the heads of the ATA? Why should the members have to fund 2 functions instead of 1 like they have done for the past 35 years, I see no logical explanation for that. If the ATA only wants to have their AGMs in Westlock from now on I say then let this be the last year that we have AGMs elsewhere, unless voted on by the membership....
Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM
redgreen

Default As Usual

Quote:

Hi Bill, glad to see your typing and verbage are polished up a bit. I don't recall a vote at the Presidents meeting on the AGM topic. Just some general discussion. The only issue (the licence renewals) has been solved.

The AGM and Convention very much go hand in hand together.

I see the executive is now concerned about a possible "over representation" from a specific geographical area with eligible voters. How timely!!!

I guess all the advertisement done so far is inaccurate.

This is a last minute opportunistic delay in voting on Directors, proposed resolutions, seeing a financial report and fielding open floor discussion, especially in light of some very controversial issues arising in the last few months.

I GUESS ALL THAT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER. GORDY HAS JUST SENT ME AN EMAIL....THE AGM IS OFF IN SUNDRE. THE EXECUTIVE WILL PICK ANOTHER VENUE AND DAY AT THEIR DISCRETION. I GUESS NOW WE WILL BE GOING AHEAD AND ORGANIZING JUST A CONVENTION. I KNOW WE WILL HAVE A GOOD ATTENDENCE AND A GREAT TIME.

Anything else I'd have to say wouldn't be nice. We have to do what we are told by the Executive.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Default Convention

Sigh,,,,was gonna attend the convention...not sure now.One of my fave part s was the AGM and a bunch of hothead trappers...LOL.Some folks just don t know how to make their own fun anymore....Zepf.....life member ATA
Old 05-06-2009, 02:50 PM
redgreen

Default This Fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepf View Post
Sigh,,,,was gonna attend the convention...not sure now.One of my fave part s was the AGM and a bunch of hothead trappers...LOL.Some folks just don t know how to make their own fun anymore....Zepf.....life member ATA
Well, I guess you'll just have to be patient until the Putin Regime have made their decision on what the membership is to do next. LOL
Old 05-06-2009, 07:48 PM
redgreen

Default Up to the Plate

Quote:

Bill I think there are more than a few now that would gladly take over your Directorship so be careful what you wish for. Please send an expense account for your reimbursement of funds you are out and quit whining. I believe even that is in the ATA's constituiton...LOL I sure hope in the upcoming events all Directors are aware of what they have said at meetings and voted for or have not been present for and according to the Societies Act are accountable for by either their presence or absaintencence with no vote..check it out. . Have a nice Spring day!!

Last edited by redgreen; 05-07-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: didn't want to upset Bill
Old 05-07-2009, 08:03 AM

I have been reading all the statements and issues as to why they have all of a sudden cancelled the AGM in Sundre....can anyone that speaks the truth and has nothing to hide tell me WHY ?? The ATA Convention in Grande Prairie last year was good enough to have a AGM...why is it all of a sudden that the Sundre meeting is not a GOOD place or time to have a AGM. Can anyone tell me WHY there even is a "ALBERTA TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION " if it takes 1 or 5 people to make all the decisions for ALL OF THE ALBERTA TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION....this whole association is a bigger cluster f!@# than pearl harbour ever was. We are a very rare breed and a very few of us left in the whole world as trappers and we can't all get along and work together and resolve things together, there are countries with 2 or 3 million people in them that work together better than the so called ALBERTA TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION....THIS IS JUST NOT FUN ANYMORE !!!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Banned

X 10--- and rising --
Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen View Post
Bill I think there are more than a few now that would gladly take over your Directorship so be careful what you wish for. Please send an expense account for your reimbursement of funds you are out and quit whining. I believe even that is in the ATA's constituiton...LOL I sure hope in the upcoming events all Directors are aware of what they have said at meetings and voted for or have not been present for and according to the Societies Act are accountable for by either their presence or absaintencence with no vote..check it out. I'm sure your wife Bill can give you the scoop on your liabilities as a so called Director. They will now definately be called into question. Have a nice Spring day!!
No whining intended, just responding to the "running scared" comment. Like I said as a volunteer I'm happy to do whatever I can to help out just like the rest of the board. There is no conspiricy here...the membership can call me into question whenever they want, my number is in the magazine. If the membership is not happy with the job I'm doing then there won't have to be a vote I'll gladly step aside. As for my liabilities if you are suggesting there is a lawsuit pending then bring it on...but be careful, you just might get what you wish for. You seem to want to make this personal, what my wife has to do with this conversation I've no idea but leave her out of it. I've made my last comment on the nmatter in this forum. If you need to discuss it further give me a call otherwise I'll see you at the convention in July.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:32 AM
redgreen

Default Sorry Bill

Sorry if I offended you Bill personally. You Executive sure get twitchy...I don't know of any lawsuit pending but I understand your getting defensive. Maybe someone else can come on a give a legitimate reason for no AGM at the Convention...to date I haven't seen one.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Fair enough...we'll leave it at that. Honestly, to my knowledge the decision was made just because it was prudent to do so due to circumstances at the time... if there is more to it than that I'm not aware. If this decision is an issue with the membership then it will have to change one way or another at the AGM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Fair enough...we'll leave it at that. Honestly, to my knowledge the decision was made just because it was prudent to do so due to circumstances at the time... if there is more to it than that I'm not aware. If this decision is an issue with the membership then it will have to change one way or another at the AGM.
the decision not to have an AGM in Sundre IS an issue with the membership... and it will have to be changed... untill I can see a reason for no AGM, I for one will not let this one go
Old 05-07-2009, 01:53 PM
redgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastElk View Post
the decision not to have an AGM in Sundre IS an issue with the membership... and it will have to be changed... untill I can see a reason for no AGM, I for one will not let this one go

I will not as well!!! There is alot of membership support to go with the original plan, and the concern isn't centered on any particular "geographical area".
Old 05-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordeg river rat View Post
I have been reading all the statements and issues as to why they have all of a sudden cancelled the AGM in Sundre....can anyone that speaks the truth and has nothing to hide tell me WHY ?? The ATA Convention in Grande Prairie last year was good enough to have a AGM...why is it all of a sudden that the Sundre meeting is not a GOOD place or time to have a AGM. Can anyone tell me WHY there even is a "ALBERTA TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION " if it takes 1 or 5 people to make all the decisions for ALL OF THE ALBERTA TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION....this whole association is a bigger cluster f!@# than pearl harbour ever was. We are a very rare breed and a very few of us left in the whole world as trappers and we can't all get along and work together and resolve things together, there are countries with 2 or 3 million people in them that work together better than the so called ALBERTA TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION....THIS IS JUST NOT FUN ANYMORE !!!
hang in there, the convention isn't cancelled
Old 05-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Angry

Well, we thought that it was about time that the AGM/convention was held in the southern half of Alberta instead of always way up north. We can't afford nor do we have the time to go to TWO separate events at TWO separate times in TWO separate locations. We think, and are sure most of you agree, that there are some pretty important isues that should have been addressed sooner than later. This third period change in the agenda doesn't wash with us, and we'll bet a lot of folks will change their minds about attending which will be unfortunate for the Sundre trappers who no doubt had hoped for a great turnout. It is not too late for the Directors to change their minds.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Default AGM & Convention

I have been trying to keep abreast of the political manouvering of the DOA/MOU and subsequentially the diversion of the AGM postponement...its all very tiring for a trapper to put up with such nonsense. However I feel I must throw my support behind getting issues above board and right; which means leaving the AGM & Convention as scheduled for Sundre in July. As for the DAO/MOU its to fuzzy for me to figure out so until the real facts emerge I cannot support such an initiative.
PS - with the NE region being my stomping grounds I've never heard a whisper of industry wanting to deregister traplines in the region. Go figure
Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Well, we thought that it was about time that the AGM/convention was held in the southern half of Alberta instead of always way up north. We can't afford nor do we have the time to go to TWO separate events at TWO separate times in TWO separate locations. We think, and are sure most of you agree, that there are some pretty important isues that should have been addressed sooner than later. This third period change in the agenda doesn't wash with us, and we'll bet a lot of folks will change their minds about attending which will be unfortunate for the Sundre trappers who no doubt had hoped for a great turnout. It is not too late for the Directors to change their minds.
Good to have your input Molly.. I hope no one has changed their minds about going to Sundre"s AGM and Convention just yet...