Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have heard several of the "way out there" stories from the fellow from South Africa.
Not sure if its the same guy but I was talking with a guy standing at the counter at P & D and he had a thick S.A accent. He was from Ft. Mac and was telling me how he traded for a 338 Lapua and he would load it really hot and to really get it fast he would top his load off with the powder from a 22LR cartridge.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Not sure if its the same guy but I was talking with a guy standing at the counter at P & D and he had a thick S.A accent. He was from Ft. Mac and was telling me how he traded for a 338 Lapua and he would load it really hot and to really get it fast he would top his load off with the powder from a 22LR cartridge.
That sounds very familiar, I would be quite certain that it is the same individual.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I was out buying a couple of boxes of 6shot for huns and after a few min I was helped told the girl what I wanted, she gave it to me and started to walk away. I asked her if she wanted to see my license and if she would take them to the front for me "oh my bad, I am! I already got in trouble for that last week"

Its not a great story but, it goes to show how little people get trained properly
where was this? canadian tire??
Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 PM

Was browsing in Bass Pro and asked to see what they had in double barrel shotguns. Was told they are not legal as you can saw them off and can't hunt with them. Walked down the counter and got real service from an older fellow, we had a chuckle about the previous conversation with the younger dude. Wasn't till I was leaving that I realized he did not ask me for my card to handle the shotguns, think he was laughing too hard.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-24-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
That sounds very familiar, I would be quite certain that it is the same individual.
Yup, I was told that story by him....
Cat
Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say Savages are ugly; homely though, i sure wouldn't take one home.
i have the savage predator in 22-250,dipped in camo.its a great rifle. good cheekweld,awesome factory trigger, havent modified it at all. .325 " groups at 100. handloads of course.

i think it looks slick.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say Savages are ugly; homely though, i sure wouldn't take one home.
Aesthetically savages are ugly as sin. But they are accurate and rock solid and that's why I love them.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 PM

At Wholesale in Edmonton a few years ago:

Me: "Do you have any Remmington ammo in 300wsm?"

Guy behind the counter (looking at me like I'm the idiot): "Remmington doesn't make ammo that size because that's a Winchester calibre"

Me: "Well that's weird because I have a box and a half of it out in the truck"

Him: "That's immpossible"

Me: "Good-bye"

I didn't have the energy to get into it with him, or to bring the half used box back into the store and show him, or to show him the multiple boxes of Remmington ammo right behind him in .270win, .243win, ect, ect.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Asked a guy once for a price on the 243 Remington Corelokts and a price on the Hornady factory loads. After about 10 minutes the kid flippin through the catalog he says, "For some reason I cant find any Remington ammunition laoded with the Hornady bullets, but I know we have some I sold some the other day" HAHAHA.So just said ok, I will try Canadian Tire.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 AM

My reaction to all the stories above:
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM

I worked a counter for 3 years, heard a lot of funky stuff.

Had a guy going on a guided BC elk hunt who wanted me to "take your time and boresight that rifle really well, I won't have time to sight it in before my hunt and I need to take an Elk out to 400 or so." I told him about how boresighters are only so accurate and he needs to sight the rifle in. No clue if he did or not, but it wasn't a cheap setup.

Twice we had loaded guns brought into the store by idiots who thought they were safe.

Had a guy mount a scope and brought it back defective, I quickly pointed out the problem: he had mounted it backwards, objective pointed to his eye.

Too many to recall.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
where was this? canadian tire??
No good ol wally world
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Funny stories

One day at the range in Ft Mac a fellow came out and tacked up a target at 100 yds pulled a brand new 300 wtby out of the box and started shooting.After 20 rnds he was bit#$g about not hitting the tgt,so I asked him why he hadn't put a scope on it.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 AM

at WSS in lethbridge last night.... a fellow was looking at scopes and the salesman commented that whoever makes the lens doesn't really matter, what matters most is how big the scope is....

Edit: this is by no means a slam on wss or their staff...in fact the tallish dark haired skinny guy that works the gun counter has always given me exceptional service and advice..and of course jim is great
Old 09-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Banned

i once talked to a guy who was convinced that you could fill up a 308 win case with varget and just scrape the top level.

my exact words
"and... why do you think that????"

guy at store: "because it's compressed... that means there's as much as you can fit in there"

me: "don't tell people that"

eventually i just walked away. i hope that guy put his nose in a book later that night instead of getting it blown off. he was a real jerk about it too it was said in a "i know so much more than you" tone
Old 09-26-2012, 02:07 PM

I have worked behind 2 gun counters - one in Johannesburg in the 90's and one in Edmonton for a bit. I have often thought of collaborating with others (staff and customers) to compile a humorous little book of 'heard at the gun counter' stories...you could read it on the can...

Some that come to mind:

- guy buying .25-06 ammo for his girlfriends first deer hunt only wanted 75gr loads and vehemently refused to buy 100gr + ammo even when it was explained that the 75gr'ers were vamint bullets. He explained that 120gr .25-06 loads are so slow with such a rainbow trajectory she may as well throw a rock...then stomped out in a huff.
- Guy explaing that Winchester makes a .375H&H lever action and became angry when it was explained that its a .375 Win cartridge which is vastly different.
- .22Hornet is so fast it zips through big game and they dont even know they have been shot.
- 7 'em em' is so flat shooting it actually rises for the first hundred yards even if the barrel is perfectly flat.
- 7 'em em' knocks a moose back about a foot (actually the 7mm RM seems to have a disproportionately higher amount of myths and legends for some reason).
- 3.5" 12ga shells are guaranteed to fold geese at 60 yards plus
- grandpa's old 2 3/4" 870 has been shooting 3" steel just fine thank you, those warnings about shells opening into the forcing cones and high pressures are just a sales pitch to sell another shotgun...
- "Hi I am looking for my first rifle and want to shoot deer at 700 yards" this one is common....
- .30-06 is a great elk/moose round but the .308 is way underpowered.
- .17HMR is the fastest 'round' you can get
- I need a .300 mag for deer but my wife should get a .243 (because deer physiology and anatomy change when shot by different genders).

The list is endless....

Last edited by kayaker; 09-26-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Twice we had loaded guns brought into the store by idiots who thought they were safe.
Haha, by best one of those was in JHB. The store where I worked as in a large mall-fronted supermarket complex. A lady phoned and said that she had her husbands revolver and there was a probelm with it, could she bring it in? I said sure...

30mins later a pale looking lady in her 50's or so carries in a cushion covered with a towel. The store was empty and I immediately went to help her. She placed it gently on the counter and said "please help me, I didnt want to pull the trigger but cant fix it". Under the towel was a loaded and cocked 2" .38Spl! She had cocked it at home and then realized it was unsafe but didnt know how to decock it. She had driven over and then carried it through the mall balanced on the cushion covered by a towel!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:32 PM

re: above post.

3 year olds are like that...if they can't see it, it can't hurt them.
At least the lady had enough sense not to try and 'fix' what she couldn't understand.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=kayaker;1622651]I have worked behind 2 gun counters - one in Johannesburg in the 90's and one in Edmonton for a bit. I have often thought of collaborating with others (staff and customers) to compile a humorous little book of 'heard at the gun counter' stories...you could read it on the can...

Some that come to mind:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
- guy buying .25-06 ammo for his girlfriends first deer hunt only wanted 75gr loads and vehemently refused to buy 100gr + ammo even when it was explained that the 75gr'ers were vamint bullets. He explained that 120gr .25-06 loads are so slow with such a rainbow trajectory she may as well throw a rock...then stomped out in a huff.
give the guy what he wants... a 75gr bullet for a deer is perfectly legal and armor ratings of deer have gone down a lot in the last few years
Quote:
- .22Hornet is so fast it zips through big game and they dont ever know they have been shot.
probably true... even with a 22mag a lot of gophers never saw it coming! as far as penetration a 45gr tsx bullet out penetrated a 30-30 in my tests... not what i would consider a good idea but hey follow the law and fill your boots

also 22 centerfire rounds are legal in a lot of places

Quote:
- "Hi I am looking for my first rifle and want to shoot deer at 700 yards" this one is common...
and... why is this absurd? he knows what he wants. show him to the hs precision and the reloading gear and tell him to go to town.
Quote:
- .17HMR is the fastest 'round' you can get
well it's the fastest rimfire
Quote:
- I need a .300 mag for deer but my wife should get a .243
i use a 300wsm and i love it. it would be a tough sell to get me to move down in energy. i usually lend out a little guy for first timers it just makes sense.

your comments kind of sound like someone who has worked behind a counter
Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

Man this thread is SAD. The Perfect example of you can't fix stupid
Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 PM

[QUOTE=fish_e_o;1622684your comments kind of sound like someone who has worked behind a counter[/QUOTE]

You seem to have taken offense with what I have said and more to the point misinterpreted it, so let me clarify:

All I offered the .25-06 guy was the info that 75gr HP bullets were varmint bullets, a 100gr big game bullet would be a good choice for the deer hunt – do you disagree? I have no doubt the 75gr HP is capable of killing deer cleanly. My chuckle was his comment that heavier bullets were ‘too slow’. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone, he could buy whatever he wanted.

Re .22 Hornet, I said big game, not gophers, nor did I start a debate about the penetration merits of different bullet designs. If you think its ‘probably true’ that deer, moose, elk etc. won’t know they have been shot as the bullet from a .22H whistles through them, then I guess you are entitled to your belief. I never even alluded to any legislation or ethics concerning .22 centre fires for big game. I have shot big game with a .223…

A person wanting to shoot deer at 700 yards who has never touched rifle is absurd to me. Note, I was never rude or condescending to these people and sold them what they wanted with help they were due.

.17HMR – the guy meant fastest available cartridge, period.

I never alluded to a .300 being inappropriate for any hunting, at all. I find the gender based discrepancy often illogical – the guy NEEDS a .300 but his wife will be well off with a .243. I am not talking about recoil or rifle weight issues either. I sold many defense handguns under the same illogic – I need a .45 but my wife should be ill-equipped with a .25ACP, as opposed to a still compact and easy to handle .380, for example.

Your comments sound kind of like someone who is looking to argue for no reason… Don’t conflate issues that are unrelated to things I never said. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
You seem to have taken offense with what I have said and more to the point misinterpreted it, so let me clarify:

A person wanting to shoot deer at 700 yards who has never touched rifle is absurd to me. Note, I was never rude or condescending to these people and sold them what they wanted with help they were due.

Your comments sound kind of like someone who is looking to argue for no reason… Don’t conflate issues that are unrelated to things I never said. Thanks.
i did misinterpret it. i assumed the guy in the first story left angry because you told him off.

at the same time when i bought my first gun i am pretty sure i said the same thing. but for me it was something to work up to and in 20 more years i should be able to do it
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Clerk-"What can I help you with today?"

Customer-" I need 308 bullets"

Clerk- "What type and grain?"

Customer-"Whatever is cheapest"

Clerk-"For hunting or target?"

Customer-"Hunting"

Clerk hands box of bullets to customer-"Will these do?"

Customer looks confused "I asked for bullets, what are these?"

Clerk-" A box of 50 bullets, the cheapest softpoints that we have"

Customer-" I need bullets, I can't shoot these"

Clerk-"You need loaded ammunition?"

Customer-"I need bullets"

Nice!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 AM

Hahahaha

Spend some time at Del's in Vernon BC.... The counter staff phuks with folks just for kicks and probably to **** off the counter staff at grouse river and wholesale in kamloops!

Me: got any more 1100rnd crates of 7.62x39

Brandon: just the 3 over there, we can't get any more they stopped importing it, you should buy all 3 crates!

Me: oh so that stack of crates in the back corner are all empty?....

Del: Brandon... Stop phukin with the customers.

Another day

Customer: ya I'm lookin for a MG34 HAHAHAHA

Del: wait right here

Customer: bewildered look

Del: here ya go (approaching man with a live MG34 in his arms).... That will be 1.4million because you need to buy my shop to own this gun

Customer: (nervous mumbles)... (walks away quietly)

Del: grins like the Cheshire cat.

And many many more story's like that....
Old 10-16-2012, 07:14 AM

How many shells does it hold? It was a double barrel. I had to walk away, never heard the clerks response.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 AM

I was at Wolverine in Red Deer last January and thats where I lost all hope for the "average" canadian gun owner.

I was in there just havin a boo seeing what they got, and a tall skinny guy and his girlfriend come in, the person at the gun counter is a typical soccer mom lookin lady, late 40's housewife type of deal, I didn't think anything of it when I saw her because who knows I thought she was knowledgable because every time before I had gone in there the gun clerk was very knowledgable. BUT....

This guy and his gf walk in, he says "I want a mini 14 for shooting coyotes" she goes "okay" and turns around to look at all the guns behind her, I already know there isn't one in the store like a quick look and you can easily determine all the guns they have and what they don't have.
What they had was the typical gun store selection of bolt guns, shotguns, and handguns aswell as a few custom bolt guns, a selection of AR's and a few other restricted firearms.

The lady starts walking down the wall reading each tag on the guns, this is where I got worried, this lady didn't know the difference between a marlin lever and the DPMS ar-10 they had on the counter. Obviously she didn't know what a mini 14 was, so after like 20 minutes of checking the tag on each gun she comes back to the guy and says "sorry we don't have one, what is it like a hunting rifle? maybe we have something else you might like"
He goes "nah, its a semi auto, its like what the army uses, its non restricted but you can shoot coyotes with it if you have a scope" ....oh my god.
she replies "oh its a semi? we have lots of those!"
she turns around and grabs one of those Hi-point carbines in 45.
"this is a, um this is...." reads tag "this is a hi point, its not a 223 it says but its a 45 auto, I think it's good for what you want to do, it looks very cool!"
at this point I'm just standing there watching the show
He goes "I don't think I can go coyote hunting with that"
okay, he must be atleast knowledgable about restricted and nonres "ya, I think you can't shoot anything with a 45 round the bullet is too small it can't kill animals the 223 is bigger"
oh jeez!
The clerk goes "huh, are you sure? a guy bought a 45 lever action rifle earlier today for moose hunting?"
I assumed she was talking about a 45/70
"nah those are too small that dude is gonna get in touble, that thing is cool though is it non restricted?"
the lady replies "I dont know, it should be okay, I don't see what makes it restricted, I'll go ask the guy in the back maybe he knows"
Okay now I have to pipe up "it has a barrel shorter than 18.5" its restricted"
she looks at me like I'm a dick and goes behind the door anyways
she comes out, doesn't even look at me and goes "ya XXXXX said it has a 16" barrel so you can't hunt with it"
guy " das gay, what about those ar's? can I look at one of those?"
the lady says "yes you can, these look like pretty high performance guns you can probably shoot whatever with them"
the guy "yeah, I read in the book that all ar-15's are non restricted you can hunt big game with them, how much are they?"
she looks at the tag, its a custom spr style "its $2600"
guy "holy crap thats expensive, I don't want that just to go out and hunt coyotes, ummmm whats that? as he points to one of the custom tube guns.
her "I don't know" she looks at the tag "it's a 243, it comes with the scope"
him "is it semi?"
her "yes, it has the big clip on it"
*facepalm. it was a m700 bolt gun in a chassis and a bottom metal kit and christiansen carbon fiber barrel and a Leupold target turret scope of some kind
him"how much is it?"
her "It's $4600"
him "holy crap I don't want that either! who would want a gun like that?"
At this point I had to step in, I told him they don't currently have in stock a semi auto non restricted 223 and all AR's are restricted and educated him on further subjects he was wrong on. The Lady just stood there quiet obviously unable to provide anything constructive to the conversation, the guy thanked me for the help and admitted he just got his PAL and walked out.
The lady just scowled at me silently as I went back to browsing happily.

If your a gun store clerk. you have to KNOW about what your selling to the customers. Imagine if she had sold him an AR telling him he could use it for big game and driving around the countryside shooting coyotes? she woulda ruined his life had he been caught!
And who gave that guy a PAL? like seriously how did he pass the test?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

How did that guy even pass his PAL course?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:57 AM

That just goes to show that there are clueless uninformed people on either side of the counter... And sometimes they meet... Good thing you had the grapes to pipe up and say something. Most people wouldn't've said a word. Good on ya!

skinny
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 PM

I heard one moron say, "the 45-70 is only a fifty yard gun", I don't even bother responding to stupid statements like that.

Another one was, "I like to sound hunt", I asked what the hell that means, he said, "I wait for game sounds and shoot at the sound"....idiot.

One other is, "the 308 won't kill game as good as the 30-06"... what do you say to that kind of mental midget.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Banned

OMG This is too much^^^^