Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Kimber Roulette was huge about 7/8 years ago and was far from a shooter problem. It was bad engineering and machining. Kimber reps openly admitted this. They even went so far as stopping production of a few calibers, I can't remember them all but know one was the 7-08 because a friend had one. Couldn't get the bullets to stabilize. Other calibers were facing same issue. That being said, 15 years ago Sako had barrels blowing up in them. Both companies have made mistakes, moved in and make quality rifles now.

Back to the OP's question, both are quality rifles. A thorough examination for a rifle used in the most common hinting scenario will, as has been outlined, give the edge to the A7 but most will not notice the difference. And for what it's worth, the 308 is a great caliber. It will kill anything in North America. No, it not as cool as the 6.5 or a magnums but it works and is a lot cheaper to shoot. I would much rather hunt with someone who practices and puts the bullet exactly where he wants it.
Which is funny like I say. We have three 7-08’s from the “bad” years. All shoot extremely well.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-30-2018, 11:55 AM

Here’s my Sako A7 in 7mm-08 . It’s pretty much my go to deer rifle .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 06-02-2018, 02:43 PM

OK... I feel like a bit of a jerk starting a thread like this that gets some pretty passionate replies and then going in an entirely different direction.

Ended up going cheaper on the gun in the Caliber I wanted - 6.5CM. The A7 Roughneck was just too much cash, the Kimber just didn't seem to fit me no matter how many times I tried to pick it up, felt all scrunched up. So... I got a Vanguard S2 in 6.5CM. It ain't pretty, but it fits me well and has a ton of positive reviews (Howa just didn't feel as nice as the Weatherby).

This saved me about $400 that will go towards a better scope and reloading supplies.

Thanks all!
Old 06-02-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
OK... I feel like a bit of a jerk starting a thread like this that gets some pretty passionate replies and then going in an entirely different direction.

Ended up going cheaper on the gun in the Caliber I wanted - 6.5CM. The A7 Roughneck was just too much cash, the Kimber just didn't seem to fit me no matter how many times I tried to pick it up, felt all scrunched up. So... I got a Vanguard S2 in 6.5CM. It ain't pretty, but it fits me well and has a ton of positive reviews (Howa just didn't feel as nice as the Weatherby).

This saved me about $400 that will go towards a better scope and reloading supplies.

Thanks all!
Don't feel like that!!!
Many a thread on many things on AO. Opinions are like you know.
Kimber did have a whack of lemons a while back. Sako had a lot fewer. Go with your gut and bank account. Not everyone has to go with the flow. Many a game big and small were killed with British 303's and 30/30's including Grizzly. They didn't have all the high tech options we have today. Shoot what works for you and and yours. It's all about bullet placement with in range of such rifle.

P.S. Most folks just want meat on the table ethically.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 06-02-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Don't feel like that!!!
Many a thread on many things on AO. Opinions are like you know.
Kimber did have a whack of lemons a while back. Sako had a lot fewer. Go with your gut and bank account. Not everyone has to go with the flow. Many a game big and small were killed with British 303's and 30/30's including Grizzly. They didn't have all the high tech options we have today. Shoot what works for you and and yours. It's all about bullet placement with in range of such rifle.

P.S. Most folks just want meat on the table ethically.
Thanks. :-)

Gotta say I was getting fed up looking for a gun and want to get reloading and shooting! I feel good with the choice.

Matt
Old 06-02-2018, 04:29 PM

How dare you change your mind after all the drama you instigated.....haha

I had a Vanguard series 2 true north edition for a while, the trigger wasn't bad and it shot fine, even if the rifle didn't have the premium feel of some more expensive rifles.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:35 AM

Congrats on your new gun. I like the S2 and would like to own one someday
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 06-04-2018, 06:18 AM

Good job! S2 is a good gun. I have had a few and will again.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Sooooooo....are you saying you currently own a few Kimbers,or you get rid of them as fast as you buy them?

I own several. Like an idiot I sold one a few years ago because it was a ‘06 classic and I already had a 100 year commemorative Remington 30-06 I like to use. There was some sellers remorse so last winter I replaced it with a montana in 30-06. Over the past few months every time I look at the Remington I get the urge to sell it but I’ve never missed a shot with that rifle and I’ve shot a lot of game with it since I bought it in 2006. It’ll be hard to let go but one of these days it’s getting sold.
I’m still waiting for a .223 or 22-250 to pop up then my classic select .243 will have the 338 federal barrel that’s sitting in my safe installed. For now I use the .243 for coyotes so it needs to stay the way it is.