Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-07-2009, 02:21 PM
redgreen

Default The changing DAO/MOU

I thought in light of no AGM this year at the Convention to be able to discuss issues, and no set future date for an AGM finalized, I would like to bring to Trappers attention the discussion about the MOU at the Presidents meeting in April.

Two minutes before the MOU Committee head gave us a walk through of the "Detailed Business Plan" we were given a copy of the plan, allegedly hot off the press from ASRD review and adjustment. Quickly scanning this document I noticed a couple of pretty important items that stood out.

One was that under tenured traplines (registered), traplines were non-assignable. This means as confirmed by Gordy and the Committee head that traplines cannot be passed down to spouses or junior partners in the case of a death, or if the trapper would like someone else to have the line, or sell the assets it would not be allowed. It wasn't clear however who would be doing the re-assigning? The MOU committee or ASRD.

Now to clarify this, Gordy did say "I can't believe they slipped that in again, there's no way we will allow it". So it seems the ATA Committee has seen this insertion in the MOU agreement before. Well let's all hope it isn't allowed in there and I would like some assurances it is a definate "deal breaker" to the ratification of an MOU.
The second point was the amount of money required to get up and running was about half the original proposal voted on in Grande Prairie. I don't see how things have got cheaper, and I still question the financial sustainability.

The document I viewed at the Presidents meeting didn't say DAO it said MOU and the contents of it are significantly different enough from the one we voted on in Grande Prairie that I believe there should be a vote on this MOU at the next AGM. It's definately not the same "beast" that was voted on in Grande Prairie.

These are the sort of things I would have liked to discuss in an open floor with other trappers from different Locals present and able to voice opinions and ideas. Maybe this MOU will be in place before the next AGM.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
One was that under tenured traplines (registered), traplines were non-assignable. This means as confirmed by Gordy and the Committee head that traplines cannot be passed down to spouses or junior partners in the case of a death, or if the trapper would like someone else to have the line, or sell the assets it would not be allowed. It wasn't clear however who would be doing the re-assigning? The MOU committee
I strongly agree with you RED. As a junior on 2 RFMA's I have put in a lot of blood and sweat, not to mention 1000's of dollars into working our lines with the assumption that heaven forbid, something tragic happens to the holders of the RFMA, I would be S.O.L. and all the work would be for nothing. If it went to someone else re-assigning it, you can be gauranteed it would go to the highest bidder or a friend of a friend. Am I wrong in being so defensive?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM
redgreen

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
I strongly agree with you RED. As a junior on 2 RFMA's I have put in a lot of blood and sweat, not to mention 1000's of dollars into working our lines with the assumption that heaven forbid, something tragic happens to the holders of the RFMA, I would be S.O.L. and all the work would be for nothing. If it went to someone else re-assigning it, you can be gauranteed it would go to the highest bidder or a friend of a friend. Am I wrong in being so defensive?
I don't think there are too many of trappers that would enjoy the MOU much with this written into it. In all fairness Gordy did say it would be out of the document, but can we be sure this is in fact a deal breaker? Obviously it has bee "slipped in" before and ASRD appears to want it in the MOU.... and just how far will the ATA executive go to get self government? I don't have a great comfort level there. I still stand by the fact this route is not what we exercised our vote for in Grande Prairie and should be re-visited.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:42 AM

I am quite certain that Gordy is there for our best interests, and right now without him fighting for us and things, the registered trappers of Alberta would be quite set to lose out big time.

The man has been busting his hump for the trappers of Alberta for years and years. Then he pours in unbelievable amounts of time for us, he runs anywhere in the province, selflessly for us trappers to meetings and everything is out of his pocket, thousands upon thousands of his own dollars every year.

And let us not forget the team of guys that he is working with, they too are busting their humps in an effort to get the very best deal for the trappers of Alberta.

I believe the problem lies with SRD, F&W or whatever they want to call themselves. They do not like us very much. They do not care about us in any way shape or form. Individuals in the organization if you'ld call it that yes, individuals do care from within, but as a dept, they'ld rather we all fall off the face of the earth, or at least permanently leave the grizzly habitats of Alberta, amongst many other things. It's nice that we still have some friends within, but they are slowly being replaced.

So the bid to not be able to turn over traplines in event of death etc. I believe this is simply a ploy for SRD to be able to steal away traplines permanently as they see fit, when they see fit if they feel like it.

But rest assured, Gordy and his team will not settle for anything stupid!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:33 PM
redgreen

Default Not the Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
I am quite certain that Gordy is there for our best interests, and right now without him fighting for us and things, the registered trappers of Alberta would be quite set to lose out big time.

The man has been busting his hump for the trappers of Alberta for years and years. Then he pours in unbelievable amounts of time for us, he runs anywhere in the province, selflessly for us trappers to meetings and everything is out of his pocket, thousands upon thousands of his own dollars every year.

And let us not forget the team of guys that he is working with, they too are busting their humps in an effort to get the very best deal for the trappers of Alberta.

I believe the problem lies with SRD, F&W or whatever they want to call themselves. They do not like us very much. They do not care about us in any way shape or form. Individuals in the organization if you'ld call it that yes, individuals do care from within, but as a dept, they'ld rather we all fall off the face of the earth, or at least permanently leave the grizzly habitats of Alberta, amongst many other things. It's nice that we still have some friends within, but they are slowly being replaced.

So the bid to not be able to turn over traplines in event of death etc. I believe this is simply a ploy for SRD to be able to steal away traplines permanently as they see fit, when they see fit if they feel like it.

But rest assured, Gordy and his team will not settle for anything stupid!
This response is very typical of ATA Executive...skirt the issue and go around and around the "bush". What your reply says has NOTHING to do with the issue in discussion. If you are going to reply, be a contributor to the topic at hand not a spewer of political crap!! I don't think anybody will deny Klassen has done much for the Trappers of Alberta....that's not the issue...membership should decide on the direction of the trappers of Alberta..not one person, and the membership have been totally excluded!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 AM

Well Mrs. Redgreen, I sure hope that you have done your part. Why have you allowed things to go this far? I suspect you like to belly ache about everything that goes on but have absolutely no desire to get involved and to do the work??? I hope I am wrong, but you obviously have a condescending attitude.

You talk the talk, but have you walked the walk???

Do you attend all the meetings in Westlock. Are you on the board of directors? I suspect the answer is no, and if so and you are so smart, why aren't you there. Why did you wait until now to make your voice heard.

Why are you whining about things here on this forum? That doesn't get much of anything accomplished aside from raise dissension. I suspect that is your goal.

SRD or F&W or whatever they want to call themselves are not there for the trappers. They really could care less whether we exist or not. This is a fact. We are an inconvienience to industry, we are few in number so therefore the govt gets few votes from us therefore, we are irrelevant.

You really need to get involved with the trapper's association and voice your concerns there through the proper channels. Not sit here and whine and cry for an audience.

Blood sweat and tears on your trapline... Now it is time for blood sweat and tears working with your trappers association, and not against.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:03 AM

BTW, I am not a part of the executive in any way, or form.

However, I truly appreciate what the executive does for us... selflessly!

The Government does not wish to ask and deal with a mob. It is counter-productive. If you want to exact change within the association, then get elected and work through the proper channels instead of showboating and creating public dissention.

See you in Sundre... unless you aren`t coming???
Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM
redgreen

Default Another Cretin

Quote:
Well Mrs. Redgreen, I sure hope that you have done your part. Why have you allowed things to go this far? I suspect you like to belly ache about everything that goes on but have absolutely no desire to get involved and to do the work??? I hope I am wrong, but you obviously have a condescending attitude.

You talk the talk, but have you walked the walk???

Do you attend all the meetings in Westlock. Are you on the board of directors? I suspect the answer is no, and if so and you are so smart, why aren't you there. Why did you wait until now to make your voice heard.

Why are you whining about things here on this forum? That doesn't get much of anything accomplished aside from raise dissension. I suspect that is your goal.

SRD or F&W or whatever they want to call themselves are not there for the trappers. They really could care less whether we exist or not. This is a fact. We are an inconvienience to industry, we are few in number so therefore the govt gets few votes from us therefore, we are irrelevant.

You really need to get involved with the trapper's association and voice your concerns there through the proper channels. Not sit here and whine and cry for an audience.

Blood sweat and tears on your trapline... Now it is time for blood sweat and tears working with your trappers association, and not against

I am involved...I attended the conroversial AGM in GP where 7% of the trappers of Alberta voted...and have been working ever since to get clarity for our Local members and the trappers on Alberta what is really going to take place with the ever-changing DAO/MOU...a truly moving target....the same with the Convention that was advertised and promoted in conjunction with the AGM....cancelled at the last minute without membership consultation....again you are a typical emotional cretin that cannot place facts down on paper and present a proper statement. Please respond with some facts and how you feel about the above mentioned issues. I don't agree with your analysis on ASRD....throw out some names of ASRD Officials that hate us in the manner you suggest...then we can contact them and see what their problem is. I am not working against the Trappers Association, just asking questions and hoping for some answers...it seems asking questions and raising issues is offensive to some.....
Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Default public awareness

Quote:
BTW, I am not a part of the executive in any way, or form.

However, I truly appreciate what the executive does for us... selflessly!

The Government does not wish to ask and deal with a mob. It is counter-productive. If you want to exact change within the association, then get elected and work through the proper channels instead of showboating and creating public dissention.

See you in Sundre... unless you aren`t coming???
if creating public awareness creates dissention then the public obviously needed to be made aware....
Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 AM

I guess I should have been more specific...

counter-productive dissension.