Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Question Suggested dog breed

I am thinking of getting a family dog. I live in a small town on an average sized lot. Two kids (8 & 11). We camp out west during the summer. I would like a dog that could come in the house when it is too cold (low shedding); good with people; low/moderate maintenance (not a big dog) and one that would alert us to bears etc (protective of the kids) while camping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM

Default re

Go to the humaine society, lots of great dogs there in need of homes, also many breeds to choose from.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:47 PM

I grew as a kid up with hunting dogs (labs, and springers). I will have one of these again. But i now have two kids. my family added a boston terrier to the family about a year ago. I can not say enough about this breed. I personaly would stay away from the "mut" type dog and get a pure bred. Get a pure bred with traits that fit with your family. they cost a little more, but 15 years is a long time.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Dogs

Dogo argentino
Just google dogo. beautiful dog good with kids absolutely fearless once bonded with family you will not find a better dog
Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Shiba Inu. Awesome dog, there was one in Hinton that saved a lady from a cougar attack. Very hardy in winter, great with kids he knows, very very smart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100-0057_IMG.jpg (136.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Dogo argentino
Just google dogo. beautiful dog good with kids absolutely fearless once bonded with family you will not find a better dog
X2
Old 11-15-2007, 09:46 PM

i am gonna put my vote in for my breed....a rhodesian ridgeback....

shed very little, don't stink, don't bark unless they are alerting you to something. fearless, but so gentle with kids. fast as lightning and stamina for days. my 9 month routinely runs labs, labradoodles, pointers etc into the ground at the dog park. they need exercise everyday...but are very relaxed and laid back when in the house and they will curl up and sleep by the fire all day if you will let them haha

if you are interested, pm me for some pics of my boy and i can put you in touch with an incredible breeder
Old 11-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post

shed very little, don't stink, don't bark unless they are alerting you to something. fearless, but so gentle with kids. fast as lightning and stamina for days. my 9 month routinely runs labs, labradoodles, pointers etc into the ground at the dog park. they need exercise everyday...but are very relaxed and laid back when in the house and they will curl up and sleep by the fire all day if you will let them haha

if you are interested, pm me for some pics of my boy and i can put you in touch with an incredible breeder
Little differnce between the soccer moms fat lab and a working gun dog. I have seen the pointers down there and if we put it up against a field pointer there arnt many dogs that stand a chance.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:55 PM

haha very true...but he has gone up against many working dogs...and i should have specified....and english pointer......he has raced around with a couple gsp's and they are much quicker off the start....but anything over 30 yards and he pulls ahead....like a greyhound (which is in his bloodline) he is built for long distance all out running.

be sure i was in no way trying to put down pointers...my next pup will be a gsp
Old 11-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Banned

There is quite a difference between a Pointer and a GSP as well.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:44 PM

what's wrong with mutts? Most modern breeds started off as mutts until they became standardized. If you're getting a purebred, make sure to check medical history of line.
I vote for Rhodesians too. Great with kids and can go on forever.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Brittany's

Well I will say brittany but I am bias they love kids a nice female will go 18.5 at the shoulder tip the scales at 35 lbs shedding is manageable and when you look at field trial stats they do remarkable stuff for small dogs. Will out run the energizer bunny if asked to do so!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:38 AM

Straight from my vets mouth, "If it wasnt for pure breeds I would be off atleast 1/2 the time I normaly work." I have a pure Shepard and I will get anothere one or a lab when the time comes. But as someone posted before if you want a pure breed do check into the medical history of the dogs family. I was not sure if lucky or not but have only had problems with ear infections and nothing the vet gave us worked (yep my dog has $600 ears) But the cleared up with some creative medicine that my wife found

pills11.com )

pills11.com )
Old 11-16-2007, 11:03 AM

My pick would be the Bernese Mountain dog, they are a very loyal, protective breed, just the kind I'm after to take stream fishing, but he's not a little dog. I'd get one now but we have 2 huskies that are a lot of work.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:45 AM

Some interesting comments. If you buy a purebread dog (from a recognized breeder, not a backyard breeder), they will provide you with a pedigree and make you aware of any medical conditions that may affect the breed. When you buy a mixed breed, where is that history? Nowhere! People will spend 600.00 dollars on ears for a purebreed. Will someone spend the same amount of money on a mixed-breed? Not normally.

Anyway. On CKC'S website they have a questionaire, that asks several questions on what you are looking for in a dog. After you fill it in, they give you a selection of breeds that falls into the criteria that you have provided. Free by the way. Handy kinda thing.

Good luck and enjoy. I like the gundogs so you know which breeds I'd be looking at.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
There is quite a difference between a Pointer and a GSP as well.
Yup I agree I was talking about those AF pointers not a GSP anyway.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:30 PM

i gotta say for a smaller dog..it is hard to beat that brittany...what a beautiful dog.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:55 PM

good luck finding a dogo breeder around here i was looking at them ended up going with a doberman one of the best family dogs
Old 11-16-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
What a doll! We lost our old Brit a few months ago and we are missing her something terrible. Our son bought a pup from Vin and what a little whirl wind! Great dog and smart as a whip but I'm not sure I'm up to the new puppy thing yet. Sandi was talking about a cat the other day so I may have to get off the dime soon here. Jesus a frigging cat!!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 PM

hungarian viszla sorta outta the blue but im looking into getting a cross between a lab and vaszla , or a long legged short haired jack russel but a female male is to domanit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e7a22aa3.jpg (38.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-16-2007, 05:27 PM

o ya that juck rus wieghed about 25-30 lbs and he was crazy protective of my buddies nephews and i heard of a story that a jack russel fought off 2 pitbulls attacking a couple of kids he always smelt a raccon o a skunk outside and let us know there was sumthing there and he jumped a racoon that came into the house if i didnt want a bird dog id buy jack
Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 PM

For a family dog it's hard to beat a golden retreiver. The only problem is that they shed a fair bit.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 PM

theduke,
I have broken coat(father wasa wire and mother was a smooth coat) Jack that is great as a watch dog and gopher killer. He does have issues with little kids. Tries to dominate them. May not be a good choice with smaller children, but fine with older ones.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBO View Post
I am thinking of getting a family dog. I live in a small town on an average sized lot. Two kids (8 & 11). We camp out west during the summer. I would like a dog that could come in the house when it is too cold (low shedding); good with people; low/moderate maintenance (not a big dog) and one that would alert us to bears etc (protective of the kids) while camping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hey ROBO I'll add a new breed to the mix. We have a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie). We live in the subburbs of Calgary and she is awesome. I bought her a couple of years ago when my son was 4 and my wife was due in 4 weeks......made sense at the time!

She bonded with our son INSTANTLY. Our cats and the new arrival taught her what the pecking order was in short order. She is so good with the kids it's unbelievable! The newborn (who is now 2) actually taught herself to walk by pulling herself up on the dog's coat, and then the dog would slowly lead her around the house!

The breed is considered one that is "eager to please". She can be a bit 'yappy', and twice a year she plays the shed game. She is a wimp for the most part unless it involves the kids, and then she is a devil. Great town/city breed, low maintence and the breed's detriment's are vastly outweighed by its upside as a family animal.

Tree
Old 11-20-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Suggested dog breed

Thank's all for the suggestions and keep them coming please. Apparently I have a lot of home work to do.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
We had one of those, loved killing cats. I didn't care for the temperament around people much either.

I've often wondered what a golden doodle would be like. Especially if it's temperament is any where nearly as good as a pure golden.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:23 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
What a doll! We lost our old Brit a few months ago and we are missing her something terrible. Our son bought a pup from Vin and what a little whirl wind! Great dog and smart as a whip but I'm not sure I'm up to the new puppy thing yet. Sandi was talking about a cat the other day so I may have to get off the dime soon here. Jesus a frigging cat!!
Never imagined you as a cat guy but you have been letting that feminine side show through a bit more each year....must be something to do with age! I can line you up with a few free ones if you need me to. Anything to help you out buddy!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Suggested Dog Breed

Just got word on my new dog, she is coming from Texas, Blue Lacy is the breed.
I want this breed because , of low maintence,short hair,quiet ,very smart breed, no health problems, weight is about 40 lbs.
The Blue Lacy is classed as a herding dog, but is used as a upland hunting dog,a sent dog for finding wounded game, also coon and hog hunting, and is a great dog with children, will be getting my dog approx.mid Dec. will post pictures when i get dog, looks like a very good dog ,but is a bit of a problem finding a ride to Canada
Sonny
Old 11-20-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
We had one of those, loved killing cats. I didn't care for the temperament around people much either.

I've often wondered what a golden doodle would be like. Especially if it's temperament is any where nearly as good as a pure golden.
odd....mines loves everyone and everything haha
Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 PM

I'd have to say that for what you want there is no need to have to pay the high prices of a pure bred when there are so many in the shelters that are in need of good pet homes. If you don't need a dog to do a specific job, but want a good companion there is no greater joy than giving a loving dog a good home and a second chance!

ARF (Animal Rescue Foundation) is an amazing rescue organization that will match you with a wonderful companion based on a survey that you fill out. They interview you and take a look at your house and family situation and match you to a dog that will suit your needs. The dog will come with all it's shots, be fixed, well socialized and you will be armed with information about the dog! IMO one of the best ways to get a dog bc they really do put a lot of effort into finding their dogs their forever homes and don't just give you a dog bc you have some money. Plus ARF dog's don't cost an arm and a leg like most pure breds will run you. They have evrything from pups to youths to older dogs. To check out what they have and more about them visit

www.arf.ab.ca

Good luck!!