Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-07-2016, 01:45 PM

Default Yotes

4 for me this morning set a few more snares on tracks in the snow as well seem to be moving well in this cold weather
Old 12-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Scare crows ,, lol ya right . Got an idea I may have to try ... on your line .
I must have gave myself bad karma.....one destroyed today by a raven.....but it was all mange anyway. The birds don't seem to touch my good coyotes but if it's mange they are right onto it.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:32 PM

7 for me today....was too cold to move snares, but a couple of the old trails are drifted in, so i have a bit of work to do when things get a bit more tolerable.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I must have gave myself bad karma.....one destroyed today by a raven.....but it was all mange anyway. The birds don't seem to touch my good coyotes but if it's mange they are right onto it.
Not gonna laugh at you buddy , Im checking tomorrow and hoping I dont have any more damage . That the first with mange this year ?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:00 PM

Cold weather is helping big time. Nearly 30 coyotes in the last week. Set up four new baits today man was it cold.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
Cold weather is helping big time. Nearly 30 coyotes in the last week. Set up four new baits today man was it cold.
I was wondering how you were doing. Did you hit 100 yet? You must be getting close.

Quote:
Not gonna laugh at you buddy , Im checking tomorrow and hoping I dont have any more damage . That the first with mange this year ?
Yes, first one with mange. Caught one last week with shoulder mites and a couple with red belly but that's it. Everything else has been really, really nice.

I have to get some snares hung tomorrow because there are hardly any left. Gonna have to suck it up like Gboe. Nice to have tracks in the snow to tell me where to set and to cover any spots that were disturbed. It's getting real fun now.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:56 PM

It looks like I should get some time the next couple weeks to get a little more serious. I went out yesterday with a forum member and freshened up a bait pile. I had one coyote there in one of five snares. I went back this afternoon and added a bunch more snares, there seems to be a decent number of coyotes hitting it so I'm optimistic.

Tomorrow I'll increase the number of snares at my third bait and get it properly set up. I'm hoping to get bait out at a fourth as well. I'll see how my day goes. I'm thinking I'll check everything over the weekend.

It was quite cold out there today!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:31 AM

Only one today at my baits and one more called in . Seems someone is checking my locations from a truck and tho nothing has been touched , only a couple fresh sets of dog tracks . Tells me the coyotes may have been spooked away .
Next year Im not prebaiting like i did this fall . I'll go in and establish a bait and set up immediately . The prebaits got hit hard and cleaned up fast and seems as tho not many have returned . I know lots of guys prebait , whats your thoughts ?
Old 12-09-2016, 08:22 AM

Been a really weird year for me with what could be the same issue. Seems the coyotes hit the bait hard one night and i catch multiple then nothing for days. Then another hard hit night but nothing in between. Seeing very few single tracks around this winter too, even where i'm not trapping. Three baits out and all are seeing the same thing. Almost like wolves, the pack hits then vanishes lol.

I did pre bait one sight and it took a week to get hit. I then set it and after 4 days of nothing, 3 in one night. now on day 3 since with two day checks and nothing, I'll be checking again tomorrow.

The pre baited sight it seems did nothing to gain advantage, it's right in line with everything else I have going. Not worth it IMO may as well catch them the first time in.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Next year Im not prebaiting like i did this fall . I'll go in and establish a bait and set up immediately . The prebaits got hit hard and cleaned up fast and seems as tho not many have returned . I know lots of guys prebait , whats your thoughts ?
I think that a lot of whether or not to pre-bait has to do with where you are snaring. If I was snaring in small area of trees where there were only 6 or 7 likely locations for the coyotes to enter into the bait site I'd just put up the 6 or 7 snares required without pre-baiting. In larger areas of bush I want to know where the trails are rather than hanging 25 to 30 snares and have half of them never catch a coyote. Setting on sign is the way to go for me.

With the past two warm Novembers the bait does disappear quickly from the birds because they can fly away with it but with no snow on the ground the coyote trails become visible in the grass. Going through a lot of bait at the beginning is a pita but now that the bait is all froze together it lasts a lot longer and I can hang snares on the trails in the snow. I think that the coyotes may be less weary from using those trails before too.

In the areas that I snare what it comes down to is spending more time putting up snares or pre-baiting and only putting up snares on the trails. This snow makes life a lot easier that's for sure.....selective snare placement.....in and out in half an hour.

I've been baiting 3 sites so far and one site is starting to peter out. Anticipating that would happen, I started a new bait site last week. Today, after the snow, I'll re-bait that site and in a few days I'll set snares on the trails. I'll only have to put up the number of snares that are required instead of a whole bunch of them.

I don't think that there is a best way to do it and it all depends on where you are snaring so I won't try to convince anyone that my way is best. Everyone should try both ways and see what works best where they are snaring.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:56 PM

Default baiting

the one area I set east of me has produced 22 yote's in 23 days and 18 off one carcass,and starting to slow down as carcass is pretty much cleaned up,pre baited new spots on Monday went in Wednesday and it was like a herd of elk went through,set 12 snares at first site and 6 at the other as well as a couple of bobcat sets as I seen one the day I was baiting and low and behold it was into bait site,i throw my yote carcasses off to side of bait to draw birds and it worked like magic,bring the birds,brings the yote's,IMO
Old 12-09-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I think that a lot of whether or not to pre-bait has to do with where you are snaring. If I was snaring in small area of trees where there were only 6 or 7 likely locations for the coyotes to enter into the bait site I'd just put up the 6 or 7 snares required without pre-baiting. In larger areas of bush I want to know where the trails are rather than hanging 25 to 30 snares and have half of them never catch a coyote. Setting on sign is the way to go for me.

With the past two warm Novembers the bait does disappear quickly from the birds because they can fly away with it but with no snow on the ground the coyote trails become visible in the grass. Going through a lot of bait at the beginning is a pita but now that the bait is all froze together it lasts a lot longer and I can hang snares on the trails in the snow. I think that the coyotes may be less weary from using those trails before too.

In the areas that I snare what it comes down to is spending more time putting up snares or pre-baiting and only putting up snares on the trails. This snow makes life a lot easier that's for sure.....selective snare placement.....in and out in half an hour.

I've been baiting 3 sites so far and one site is starting to peter out. Anticipating that would happen, I started a new bait site last week. Today, after the snow, I'll re-bait that site and in a few days I'll set snares on the trails. I'll only have to put up the number of snares that are required instead of a whole bunch of them.

I don't think that there is a best way to do it and it all depends on where you are snaring so I won't try to convince anyone that my way is best. Everyone should try both ways and see what works best where they are snaring.
All I can say Dave is " if its working don't fix it ". Seems to work for you and thats what counts . We have one area where the landowner says we can snare but no bait piles .. Lots of deer here too which can be a problem for sure . Debating whether or not to set a site using scent rags , seems like braggadoe used that last year . My concern will still be deer tho. Might be better of to just go call the area and take what shows up .
Old 12-09-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Only one today at my baits and one more called in . Seems someone is checking my locations from a truck and tho nothing has been touched , only a couple fresh sets of dog tracks . Tells me the coyotes may have been spooked away .
For me, I throw my first round of bait out, let it sit for 3 or 4 days, then get in there and hang snares. Ive found by then the trails are more or less established, and i dont want to feed the buggers for free. That works well for me....might have to move a few a few days later, but I like starting to catch them asap.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
All I can say Dave is " if its working don't fix it ". Seems to work for you and thats what counts . We have one area where the landowner says we can snare but no bait piles .. Lots of deer here too which can be a problem for sure . Debating whether or not to set a site using scent rags , seems like braggadoe used that last year . My concern will still be deer tho. Might be better of to just go call the area and take what shows up .
I got an area somewhat similar.....last year thats where i experimented with footholds. I had limited success, only ended up with 5 in footholds, but it was good learning experience and im alot more confident with footholding now. might just be something to consider anyway.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I got an area somewhat similar.....last year thats where i experimented with footholds. I had limited success, only ended up with 5 in footholds, but it was good learning experience and im alot more confident with footholding now. might just be something to consider anyway.
Yes that could definitely be the way to go , but it is a hard to get to area and I cant do the required daily check . Lots of yotes in the area so I'm gonna figure something out .
Old 12-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Banned

If you have a BAD on your snares and it's anchored well, deer shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think. I've only ever had one deer step in a snare and it never even broke stride before the BAD gave way. Would your beaver concoction work for scent in an area like that? Do the rags act as a visual attraction like what birds do? I wouldn't know what to do in an area like yours. It looks very challenging!
PS. I'd be interested in seeing what your sets look like. It might be something that I'd be interested in trying sometime.

Last edited by HunterDave; 12-09-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:50 PM

The family and I did a 2-3 day check on three baits tonight and ended up with 5 so I'm happy with that. The bait I expected to do well at had nothing and the bait I expected nothing at had 4. One mangey.

Not a bad night, cold but no wind and light snow.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:00 PM

H380 I did a little prebaiting this year simply because I had lots of bait coming in and couldn't start as soon as I wanted. I won't do it again regardless of the circumstances. With the warm weather half a truck load would be gone in days. I feel like I wasted the bait. I always set a few snares when I start a bait. Usually I can pick out some likely spots for a snare and then I add more as needed.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:30 AM

I did not prebait this year .im snaring a small river bottom property ..set out bait last saturday and set the trails that i remembered them using from last year had to check that sunday because of warm weather picked up a nice female on that day .. weather turned cold so i checked on wednesday picked up 4 more and checked yesterday had 2 real nice colored pups
Which makes 5 females 2 males with 3 pups in that bunch so far ..still have not caught the alpha male which maybe tough now
Old 12-11-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
I did not prebait this year .im snaring a small river bottom property ..set out bait last saturday and set the trails that i remembered them using from last year had to check that sunday because of warm weather picked up a nice female on that day .. weather turned cold so i checked on wednesday picked up 4 more and checked yesterday had 2 real nice colored pups
Which makes 5 females 2 males with 3 pups in that bunch so far ..still have not caught the alpha male which maybe tough now
This ^^^^, is my prebait reasoning as well . my spots have all been used before and I know the kill trails that worked last year . First bunch this year certainly got well fed , just need em to show up again . Good job Rob , keep at em .
Old 12-11-2016, 08:19 AM

Default How's everyone doing

The cold spell definitely helped. Picked up 12 this week, so I am very happy with that. A couple of weak ones with just the start of mites, but mostly very nice coyotes.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
This ^^^^, is my prebait reasoning as well . my spots have all been used before and I know the kill trails that worked last year . First bunch this year certainly got well fed , just need em to show up again . Good job Rob , keep at em .
Thanx buddy will set a new property this morning when i can get motivated to go out into the arctic air lol
Hope your feeling better soon and we can possibly get together again for a day
Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Banned

Finally got some more snares put out today, I didn't have many left hanging. One bait site had 8 snares and produced 5 coyotes. Another site only had 3 snares left and one was caught there. I have a snare wise coyote at my third site. The bugger has been walking right through my snares and knocking them down or pushing them to the side. I'll get him.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
This was a topic last year. I basically will say the same thing I always do. It's a waste of time and money to prebait. Set snares and dump bait the same day. Bait should have dogs on it and caught within a few days....Done deal!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
This was a topic last year. I basically will say the same thing I always do. It's a waste of time and money to prebait. Set snares and dump bait the same day. Bait should have dogs on it and caught within a few days....Done deal!
Yup , I remember now . should have listened nube . Don't know about the rest of the province but my area has less dogs this year than last , might possibly have something to do with local ranchers hitting the gopher population with a strong poisoning campaign and coyotes feeding on them .
Old 12-12-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Yup , I remember now . should have listened nube . Don't know about the rest of the province but my area has less dogs this year than last , might possibly have something to do with local ranchers hitting the gopher population with a strong poisoning campaign and coyotes feeding on them .
Same here. I ve checked dead pits and bait piles and there's not one single coyote in the area or even track. I have never prebaited and usually clean out a group in a week. But snaring around compose piles is the lotto.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Finally got some more snares put out today, I didn't have many left hanging. One bait site had 8 snares and produced 5 coyotes. Another site only had 3 snares left and one was caught there. I have a snare wise coyote at my third site. The bugger has been walking right through my snares and knocking them down or pushing them to the side. I'll get him.
Good work Dave. Just finished up making another 100 snares tonight! And I put out a bunch more On the weekend can't wait till wed to check snares! Have about 200 out and would like to get another 50-60 up on wed.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:17 PM

Pretty slow for me this year . Last year at this time I had caught 30 coyotes this year only 8 . Seems to me that there's not to many pups around ,7 of those I caught were adults ,1 was a mangy pup . Don't really get to many coyotes with mange around here .last year I threw out 4 outa 40 ,so I am wondering what might be killing of those pups ?
Old 12-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpbear View Post
Pretty slow for me this year . Last year at this time I had caught 30 coyotes this year only 8 . Seems to me that there's not to many pups around ,7 of those I caught were adults ,1 was a mangy pup . Don't really get to many coyotes with mange around here .last year I threw out 4 outa 40 ,so I am wondering what might be killing of those pups ?
It sounds like what I went through last year. Around 80 coyotes caught and less than ten were pups. Out of them only 2 or 3 made it to auction.....the rest were sick/mange. This year has turned around 100%. I'll guess at about two pups for every adult, and only one with mange.

I don't know if it'll work for you or not but last year I found that lots of moving helped increase my catch. I'd take out 5 or 6 coyotes (locals?) from a bait site and it'd go cold so I moved to a new area. I found that it worked better than waiting for transient coyotes to come through. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:31 AM

I have 2 baits right now and will set up a few more in another big bush that I have been heiring coyotes yapping a lot . Already got permission just the land owner wants me to wait till deeper snow so his dogs won't be very mobile . Sure wouldn't want them to get into the alberta (bad) power snares . Thanks Dave , all a guy can do is keep on trying ,and set more bads .hehe