Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 08:48 AM

Default Ever been inspected at your home?

re: the political misrepresentations about our firearms laws / gun violence "statistics" in the news of late and bill c-71 waste of money has me incensed!

We have inspection clauses in the firearms act that allow for inspection of businesses and dwellings . . . what the heck does adding more record keeping (read as registry 2.0) do for the safety of the public? I know, stupid question

Has anyone here ever had their house inspected? Truly, any straw purchasers would be quickly discovered if the damn CFO actually did their work as already written.

Definition of “inspector”
101 In sections 102 to 105, inspector means a firearms officer and includes, in respect of a province, a member of a class of individuals designated by the provincial minister.

Time to write another letter I suppose.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:28 AM

The only time I have ever heard of CFO home inspections was from the CGN site, and they took place in Ontario.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:56 AM

My neighbor got inspected several years ago but it was court ordered, not a random inspection. I'm not sure if it was the RCMP only or if a CFO was present as well. I do know they seized his firearms but left ammo in his garage, in fact it is still there with the new home owner. They must have missed one because a few weeks later he shot himself in the head with a 12ga.

I believe the clause the OP is referring too also states something about a mutually convenient time. I'm willing to bet the CFO's work government hours just like most of us, meaning should they try to do an inspection, likely there is no one home to let them in. At this point they would require a warrant to enter the premises anyways. Many of the positions I have worked required me to give notice of my holidays a minimum of 2 weeks in advance ( some places can be up to a year), this could also complicate thing when it comes to a convenient time. If you knew 2 weeks in advance they were coming, you would make sure everything was stored properly, likely making the inspection useless anyways.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-21-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
My neighbor got inspected several years ago but it was court ordered, not a random inspection. I'm not sure if it was the RCMP only or if a CFO was present as well. I do know they seized his firearms but left ammo in his garage, in fact it is still there with the new home owner. They must have missed one because a few weeks later he shot himself in the head with a 12ga.

I believe the clause the OP is referring too also states something about a mutually convenient time. I'm willing to bet the CFO's work government hours just like most of us, meaning should they try to do an inspection, likely there is no one home to let them in. At this point they would require a warrant to enter the premises anyways. Many of the positions I have worked required me to give notice of my holidays a minimum of 2 weeks in advance ( some places can be up to a year), this could also complicate thing when it comes to a convenient time. If you knew 2 weeks in advance they were coming, you would make sure everything was stored properly, likely making the inspection useless anyways.
What does 2 weeks notice for your work have to do with the firearms act?
Old 08-21-2018, 10:06 AM

I think if I received notice of an inspection, I would ask that a mutually agreeable date and time could be arranged so that me and a lawyer could be present.

Failing finding a lawyer, a friend with video recording experience would do.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:53 AM

The Firearms Act provides that a firearms officer may inspect any premises where there is suspicion of more than 10 guns existing.

The procedure is begun by a firearms officer contacting you to arrange for a date and time to inspect. You are obligated to make the arrangement within a reasonable time. That is when the firearms officer contacts you, you get back to him or her in a reasonable time to set the appointment some time in the future when it is convenient for both of you. Then the officer will attend and inspect your building. If you consent to this, the officer can stay until you revoke consent or until he/she is finished.

The firearms officer must prepare an affidavit as to why he/she believe you have 10 or more guns and why he/she must visit to inspect.

https://cssa-cila.org/legals/inspections-and-warrants/
Old 08-21-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
What does 2 weeks notice for your work have to do with the firearms act?
If the CFO has to do the inspection at a mutually convenient time, then it would require at least 2 weeks notice to book a day off unless they issued a legal document stating I must be given the time off work to attend.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-21-2018, 01:11 PM

Just running off the top of my head, I believe there are two categories, one is for a regular guy and the other is a collector.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:15 PM

In that section it states a warrant as well. Why not just do some data scrubbing for potential criminal activity (whatever that may look like), get a warrant and then inspect.

I think the real issue here is that the police/cfo are under-resourced and the politicians are just coming up with other ridiculous ways to try to solve problems where solutions already exist.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2018, 05:08 PM

I knew a guy who was a collector. He got a random inspection. He was given a week notice and the CFO showed up. All his guns were in safes and the CFO walked out and nothing happened.

Another guy i knew was obsessed with security systems and he requested an inspection.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:31 PM

I have been checked twice, not by the CFO, but by RCMP officers.

neither time there was an issue, but i was well aware of the requirements when I built my gun room.
Cat
Old 08-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Banned

I had the understanding they could just stop in when ever they want to check things out if you own restricted. I’m rather proud of the way I store my firearms so I would let them in when ever they chose to stop by 😎
Old 08-22-2018, 09:55 AM

I was inspected several years back. After renewing my PAL, the CFO sent my license to the wrong person. During my struggles in trying to get a license in hand, the CFO continued to restate that they had sent me my PAL. Turns out the guy they sent my PAL to was a convict, barred from owning firearms, and living on the other side of the country. The CFO then mixed up their own info, that I was the convict, and sent the RCMP to confiscate my firearms. RCMP were actually awesome, they turned it into an inspection to prove that I was safe in my storage and handling procedures and aided in rectifying the CFO's incompetence and ensured I received my PAL.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have been checked twice, not by the CFO, but by RCMP officers.

neither time there was an issue, but i was well aware of the requirements when I built my gun room.
Cat
Cat where did you get the requirements for a gun room?

The reason I ask is that back when I build my gun room, what I found out via email with the CFO is that there are no requirements outside what is in the legislation.

Quote of the email response:
"Thank you for your inquiry, please review the attached Copy of Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations.

There are no actual references to details on construction of a room for storing Firearms, but you will need to follow the storage requirements of those firearms as outlined in the document. How you wish to build this room is up to you.

Thank you"

The attachment was just the "Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations" Referencing Sections 5,6, and 7. Not exactly a definitive answer.

If there is additional information out there on how to build a storage room I would like to know what they are for compliance sake.

Based on my interaction on this subject a lot is based on "common" sense and interpretation like other aspect of our firearms legislation. My only hope is that my interpretation on what a "room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms" meets or exceeds the interpretation of the inspecting officer.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKha View Post
Cat where did you get the requirements for a gun room?

The reason I ask is that back when I build my gun room, what I found out via email with the CFO is that there are no requirements outside what is in the legislation.

Quote of the email response:
"Thank you for your inquiry, please review the attached Copy of Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations.

There are no actual references to details on construction of a room for storing Firearms, but you will need to follow the storage requirements of those firearms as outlined in the document. How you wish to build this room is up to you.

Thank you"

The attachment was just the "Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations" Referencing Sections 5,6, and 7. Not exactly a definitive answer.

If there is additional information out there on how to build a storage room I would like to know what they are for compliance sake.

Based on my interaction on this subject a lot is based on "common" sense and interpretation like other aspect of our firearms legislation. My only hope is that my interpretation on what a "room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms" meets or exceeds the interpretation of the inspecting officer.
All I did was read thee regulations, my guns are in a locked room inside another locked room.
They are not loaded, there is a window but it has security bars on it.
There is also an alarm system, but it is not needed.
"Locked secured" are the operative words,, it would not matter if they were all under the bed and not in cases if they were locked and secured.
Cat
Old 09-10-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
All I did was read thee regulations, my guns are in a locked room inside another locked room.
They are not loaded, there is a window but it has security bars on it.
There is also an alarm system, but it is not needed.
"Locked secured" are the operative words,, it would not matter if they were all under the bed and not in cases if they were locked and secured.
Cat

So does a locked room inside another locked room count as 2 locks on a restricted firearm?
Old 09-10-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
So does a locked room inside another locked room count as 2 locks on a restricted firearm?
Dunno my revolvers were always inside a locked range box and trigger locked in that room .
That way I didn't have to mess with anything, just grab and go.
Cat