Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-10-2015, 07:30 PM

Default Neck sizing belted cases - die set up question

K so I got 100 once fired cases and my box of hornandys is empty so I want to load up some hunting rounds for the season with swift S2 or LRX maybe.

Just wondering how you guys are neck sizing and setting up your dies. I watched some u tube and read RCBS instructions ( that are pretty vague, and seem to be for full length dies). Some people say neck sizing with FL dies is a no no too but lots seem to do it. Plus I don't want to push the shoulder back to far or at all maybe, kinda defeat the purpose. Instructions and opinions seem all over the map.

These are belted cases so want to get as much life as possible, I have both FL and Neck dies RCBS. Cases are deprimed, tumbled and ready to go.

Thx for any tips!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:42 PM

Smoke your neck up and keep lowering the sizing die until you get the desired amount of case neck re-sized, usually about a caliber width of neck is fine, sometimes a bit more.
it's a trial and error thing.
Cat
Old 08-10-2015, 07:51 PM

If I am trying to neck size with a FL die, I generally drop the press handle all the way down, with the shellholder in place, then turn the die down until it contacts the shellholder, and back off a turn. You will size most of the neck, and leave the shoulder alone. If the cartridge has a short neck, I might only back the die off half a turn.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If I am trying to neck size with a FL die, I generally drop the press handle all the way down, with the shellholder in place, then turn the die down until it contacts the shellholder, and back off a turn. You will size most of the neck, and leave the shoulder alone. If the cartridge has a short neck, I might only back the die off half a turn.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

It really is this simple.

It's not hard to see where the neck is sized or not sized. You can adjust the die down pretty close without hitting the shoulder.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:45 PM

I don't like just neck sizing as a rule. Click on the link and watch the video. This is how I set up my dies.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod35265.aspx

-Billy Molls
Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 PM

Great thanks a bunch, I can probably get away with just the neck for one or two more loadings as the brass has spring back after firing. Will try that out and check that they chamber with no resistance.

That vid is handy Chuck, will it be the same with just neck dies I presume? My understanding is FL dies still work a bit of the sides of the case when set for neck/partial sizing.

I'll see if Joe @ RPS has one as I seen the hornady one before but not sure how they worked. I like to know what's happening and everything the same for consistency so one of those gauges are on the purchase list.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:00 AM

I used a FL sizer to neck size my 7RM brass for years. That Sako was on it's third barrel and all brass was neck sized only.

Bobby

Old 08-11-2015, 11:24 AM

Just buy a Lee collet die.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
Just buy a Lee collet die.
ding ding ding, we have a winner!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.