Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I see mention of forgetting trigger lock keys or the bolt I don't use trigger locks, on non restricted firearms and I store the bolts in the rifles to avoid those issues. I use other methods to legally store my non restricted firearms. Losing a bolt can be very expensive, and can leave a rifle unusable for an entire hunting season.
Same here. Can't trust myself with trigger locks. On our 10 day trip I always pack two rifles and 40 hand loads each. Can't be too careful.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:13 AM

I have a " hunting check list " printed off and in my hunting bag with my hunting license and tags so as long as I don 't forget to look at it i'm good to go. but at my age now that's sometimes a stretch

I always take a spare rifle to hunting camp along with at least 20 rounds of ammo, never know when you are a buddy may need it, shi$ happens.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:56 AM

Loaded up with the old man to go elk hunting ... the old boy always said to me ... tags , rifle, bullets, flashlight, knife. Everything else can be bought. We get to our hunting camp 5 hours away start loading up for an a afternoon hunt .!im loaded up ready to go on the quad and I look over at the old man and I can see in his face pure panic , and now he’s vibrating , just rattled he says I forgot my f***ing bullets . Lol . We ended up getting my uncle to go in the reloading room and send us the shells via greyhound . Got them in a day . He was camp
Cook and guide for a day and I shot a bull elk . Once we got his bullets never seen another animal for 6 days lol
Old 01-17-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Same here. Can't trust myself with trigger locks. On our 10 day trip I always pack two rifles and 40 hand loads each. Can't be too careful.
Use combination locks, no key. Even for guys with keyed locks you can remove one in ten seconds with no damage to your firearm if you forget the key. Check out YouTube for the easy removal tip. I used a pointed plastic stick instead of a screwdriver when I tried it.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
My wife dropped me off so I could hike back to camp. Grabbed my rifle and realized the trigger lock was on it and no key. Luckily I had youtubed picking that lock before going out. Picked the lock and continued with the hunt.
I have never forgot ammo but I forgot my key to my trigger lock many years ago. I just used a nail file the wife left in the glove box and got it off in about 2 mins. Very easy.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:15 AM

many years ago I used to hunt with a father /son combo.The dad owned a Browning Safari in 300H&h that I coveted dearly.He never took it out of it;s case after coming back from the annual moose hunting trip.His son,borrowed every from his dad and wrecked it or somehow screwed it up one way or another.I went over there one afternoon to see how packing was going and all the fathers gear was pile in the middle of the garage floor,browning safari included.Nobody was around so I switched the browning out of it's case and stuck a single shot Cooey .22 in it.The next morning we left for the 11 hour journey to moose camp.After getting every thing set up and a restful sleep,we all went out in the morning to start hunting.The dad open the case to his beloved Browning and saw the .22 and freaked.....the kid freaked cause he thought that this time bodily harm was actually coming his way.It was a tense few minutes before the Browning appeared and chaos ceased.Even today when you bring up the subject of the dad forgetting his rifle his eyes still snap,I also firmly believe that I had every thing to do with safe storage in his house as there never was a chance to grab that browning again as it was now locked up in a cabinet every time it came home
Old 01-18-2020, 09:23 AM

Happened to me this year . Getting old I guess . My hunting buddy had his 06 so I used it as he was tagged out . Unfortunately he left his rear scope cap down on our stalk and I lost a shot opportunity . Sealed the deal the next week though .
Old 01-18-2020, 12:57 PM

Have never forgot ammo and the availability of ammo at a country hardware store dosnt factor in my caliber selection at all why would it. I have seen people forget there trigger lock keys there bolts and there “clips” before.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
My goodness. Definitely gives a good argument for leaving a full box in the truck on a sheep hunt. That’s crazy. Good thing my two sheep partners shoot the same cal as me.

This is why we should cache some lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2020, 09:00 PM

I make a little pile of everything going on the hunt. Rifle, ammo, knife, pack, etc. Even a one-day coyote jaunt, same routine. Haven't forgotten anything yet........

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-23-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Ok I do admit I get a chuckle when guys are discussing what calibers to buy. Invariably, the old "availability of ammo" argument pops up as the sure fire reason why to avoid/purchase a particular firearm.

Honest question. Has anyone actually been in a situation where they needed Bob's Hardware Store to have their caliber sitting on the shelf? Any real world emergencies or is this a fallacy?

I do lock all of my firearms/ammo cases with combo locks. I can imagine myself losing a key. But leaving ammo at home? I dunno...
Some years back one of my hunting partner's forgot to bring his ammo. He had 3 rounds with him. He shoots a 6.5 and we shoot .30 cal's (.300 Savage and .308) so he was SOL cause you couldn't find his ammo at the local store.

His response at the time was, "I only have 3 tags so I really only need 3 rounds" We still laugh about it. But the next year I made everybody give me a box of their ammo which I put in a locking ammo can that stays in my truck for the duration of our annual hunting trip out west. I also put a box of my ammo in my hunting partner's truck.......just in case.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-23-2020, 07:29 PM
Banned

I roll my own ammo so when I talk availability, its about finding anything if yours doesnt make it when you land in some far away land
Old 01-23-2020, 07:37 PM

A few years back I was out hunting.....had my ammo and 270 I thought.....Loaded my ammo into the mag and began walking. After a bit I came across a small buck and went to chamber a round. For some reason I couldn't push the bolt all the way closed. Turns out that a while back I had somehow managed to put my Barnes Vortex 270 bullets into my 3006 box and my 3006 bullets into my 270 box. So when I had thought that I grabbed my 270 ammo (correct box) I had in fact brought 3006 ammo. And unfortunately 3006 and 270 have the same brass casing size so the ammo fit fine into the mag fine so I only found out at the worst possible time.

Now I keep 2 rounds of every caliber I own locked in a box in my truck during hunting season just in case I do something that stupid again!