Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 06:26 PM

Default Pinehurst Lake

Has anyone been fishing the lake , I suppose the water is high & how is the boat launch. Thank You
Old 07-04-2020, 07:50 PM

I was there 2 weeks ago. Launch sucks, dock is underwater when its wavey and lotsa floating wood in the lake.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:16 PM

It’s a gong show out there 60/70 boats out there daily this weekend.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:55 AM

Had a friend that went last weekend and counted 78 boat trailers in the parking lot and down the road in one afternoon.

I'll be heading elsewhere.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:32 AM

No kidding I'm headed to Manitoba there's nobody fishing out there from what my contacts tell me on the Winnipeg River

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2020, 10:13 AM

Was supposed to head there in a weeks time but if it's that nuts probably going to pull my reservation and head elsewhere. What's it like during the week? Is this normal or more pandemic caused and people have more time on their hands?
Old 07-05-2020, 12:13 PM

COVID and big reduction of folks travelling abroad likely contributing to folks being out on the Lakes.

Any lake with a slot limit now is getting hammered. A few weeks back CO’s on one lake up that way not policed all that often made a surprise appearance. They never got the boat off the trailer as they where busy at the launch writing tickets and confiscating gear. Sad to see.

Us anglers have seem to have short memories as to why our lakes got locked down in the first place.... over exploitation by anglers. We continue on the way it is we will be right back there in a heart beat.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:46 PM

Just go back from week there. Boat launch is worse than ever and a gong show to load with all the people. Either load really early or late. New Bach looked like sylvan lake with all the sun bathers and swimmers. Time to find a new lake.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
COVID and big reduction of folks travelling abroad likely contributing to folks being out on the Lakes.

Any lake with a slot limit now is getting hammered. A few weeks back CO’s on one lake up that way not policed all that often made a surprise appearance. They never got the boat off the trailer as they where busy at the launch writing tickets and confiscating gear. Sad to see.

Us anglers have seem to have short memories as to why our lakes got locked down in the first place.... over exploitation by anglers. We continue on the way it is we will be right back there in a heart beat.
Total catch and release here we come.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Total catch and release here we come.
Hope not. I think the majority enjoy keeping a fish for a meal once in a while. Problem is once is a while is a lot more often than it likely should be for some.

Personally would have liked to seen a tighter slot limit sizing but that's just me.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:49 AM

Default Options

Has anyone been out to touchwood? I'm thinking it would be a nice alternative for at least getting a line wet. I dont want to drive out just to find out campground is full. I've done that to many times before covid made all our campgrounds so busy
Old 07-09-2020, 08:34 AM

I spent the long weekend out at Pinehurst. It was my first time there so I still have a lot to learn about the lake. Found the walleye fishing was best in the evening. Morning and afternoon were a real grind to get fish to bite.

Didn't catch any pike, but I didn't spend as much time on the water as I wanted too. 2-3 hrs a day due to wind and rain. Here's my trip report if anyone's interested.

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/t...e-july-1-2020/

I was surprised to learn the campground was a Provincial Recreation Area. Lots of campers had their ATV's parked right in the campground. First time I've come across that.

The nicest day was Friday and the boat launch was absolutely full. They were building a secondary parking area that looked like it would be completed in the next few weeks. You might've waited for two vehicles to launch before you got a turn.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
I spent the long weekend out at Pinehurst. It was my first time there so I still have a lot to learn about the lake. Found the walleye fishing was best in the evening. Morning and afternoon were a real grind to get fish to bite.

Didn't catch any pike, but I didn't spend as much time on the water as I wanted too. 2-3 hrs a day due to wind and rain. Here's my trip report if anyone's interested.

I was surprised to learn the campground was a Provincial Recreation Area. Lots of campers had their ATV's parked right in the campground. First time I've come across that.

The nicest day was Friday and the boat launch was absolutely full. They were building a secondary parking area that looked like it would be completed in the next few weeks. You might've waited for two vehicles to launch before you got a turn.
Love the read man! Goes well with my morning coffee.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-14-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:

My understanding is that the new construction is for group camping spots.

They used to bring their ATV's into camp years ago but it stopped pretty quick when they started giving out tickets for driving them in the campground. Not sure if Nixon changed the law or not though.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:28 PM

I am thinking about going to Pinehurst for the first time. Could you tell me What are problems with the boat launch? And would say launching by myself could be an issue? Hoping it’s not busy this week with school start up. Thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2020, 03:34 PM

I was there earlier in the year so I'm not sure what the problem could be about lately. The only real problem I saw with the boat launch was how busy it was. Its a single lane launch and fairly steep, 4wd is a must. There was plenty of parking but all of it was full by 11 am.

Here's my trip report:

There was some construction happening by the launch as well. Could have been building a day use area or more parking but that might have an effect on the parking/launching situation.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:56 AM

StringTheory thank you. I do have a four-wheel-drive and plan to be there around 6am. I’d heard it was rough. Read your trip report a few days ago. Nice article.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:23 PM

Pinehurst launch is fine. Stay on the right side of the launch if you are looking at the lake. Fish the points on the north shore adjacent to the main basin.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryard2 View Post
StringTheory thank you. I do have a four-wheel-drive and plan to be there around 6am. I’d heard it was rough. Read your trip report a few days ago. Nice article.
Sorry for the double post! I swear when I first replied to this thread there was only your question and my reply... Guess I needed another coffee or something!
Old 09-01-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I was there earlier in the year so I'm not sure what the problem could be about lately. The only real problem I saw with the boat launch was how busy it was. Its a single lane launch and fairly steep, 4wd is a must. There was plenty of parking but all of it was full by 11 am.

Here's my trip report:

There was some construction happening by the launch as well. Could have been building a day use area or more parking but that might have an effect on the parking/launching situation.
I read your report. Kudos to you for fishing out of a kayak. When you say those don't look like big waves but are 2 ft swells, I know what you mean. Spent may a trip back in the day on that lake trying to out run the coming windstorm and get back to the campground. Sometimes we won, sometimes it was a bit hairy in the 12 ft tinner. That lake gets rough fast. Nice report.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
Pinehurst launch is fine. Stay on the right side of the launch if you are looking at the lake. Fish the points on the north shore adjacent to the main basin.
Walleye101 info is extremely appreciated!!! Wanted to fish here since I was 14, 40 years later finally have a boat to go and the time to do it.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I read your report. Kudos to you for fishing out of a kayak. When you say those don't look like big waves but are 2 ft swells, I know what you mean. Spent may a trip back in the day on that lake trying to out run the coming windstorm and get back to the campground. Sometimes we won, sometimes it was a bit hairy in the 12 ft tinner. That lake gets rough fast. Nice report.
Haha the big waves make the best stories though!

Modern fishing kayaks are actually very capable boats. More stable than canoes and most drain completely and immediately after being swamped with water. Most of the time it comes down to just how wet do you want to get! I guess thats the same in any boat.

Glad you liked the report. I hope people find them helpful.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
Thank goodness their fixing the launch.
https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/no...20200826#50406

Pinehurst Lake Boat Launch in Lakeland Provincial Recreation area Park will be closed from September 14 - 18, as the boat launch will be under repair and replacement.
In the event we have poor weather (windy, substantial rain), the dates will have to be rescheduled.

While you are correct the right side is is the smoothest for the vehicle one need to be careful as they did not lay the cement blocks straight. The right side moves left after 3 blocks or so and I have seen a number of people now back their trailers off the cement blocks on the right side and it it quite the drop.

Last edited by cube; 09-16-2020 at 09:17 AM.