Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 03:04 PM

Checked out your website. Very nice. It’s clean. Not cluttered. Well done.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
You have nothing to prove. Move on. Posting the video is good for no one
I suppose youtube is still an entertainment business. I was just trying to find a happy middle of entertaining while not invading the poachers privacy ect. The video shows people how and why they should respect wildlife. I did not intentionally look for a problem. I just happened to see it when I was just switching to a more productive fishing spot.

Much worse entertainment will expose people online like chris hansens shows. John Quiñones "what would you do" and even the show "cops".

I do think posting it will make a difference. We all have a voice to make a difference and i'm not worried to speak up.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-03-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Checked out your website. Very nice. It’s clean. Not cluttered. Well done.
Hey Moose!

Thanks for checking it out! My wife made it for me. I'm not sure what i'm gonna do with it. Maybe sell apparel and promotes brand I like ect.
Blog perhaps.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-03-2020, 04:04 PM

My moneys on the grizzly
Old 07-04-2020, 04:23 PM

Almost followed your lead yesterday. Elderly Asian couple was fishing in small pond I frequent. Little annoyed they were on opposite banks fishing floats to the middle effectively cutting the pond in half for me. But they have every right to fish this way. Then I noticed there were three floats in the water but they only had one rod visible each.

I "Accidentally" snagged one of the lines with my lure and gave reason to go over. That when I saw the other rod. I firmly told him only one line allowed but he had very little understanding of English. He did not put back in the line but did not look happy or understand why. His wife came by and in very broken English and hand gestures we were able to work out that the rules were 1 rod/line with upto three hooks. She went over to him and explained. He looked back at me smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

When I went to leave I went over and gave them my regs book. I was not sure how this would go over. I said this way maybe their son or grandson could translate for them. They were very happy and give me a million thank you's. I left feeling pretty good about the situation. Glad I handled it this way.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:42 PM

I would have spoken with the family.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I would have spoken with the family.
tough call. Talk to them and they probably stop that day. Call fisheries and they probably will never did it again.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:49 AM

You did the right thing. Poachers are poachers. Not your duty to inform the public of their poor decisions. Most people who commit a fishing offense do it repeatedly and knowingly because they have not been caught or prosecuted in the past. Don't worry about doing the right thing. They weren't too worried about doing something illegal openly in the first place. It sometimes isnt even safe to confront these people that's why there are officers who do the job.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 07-05-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Cool, I thought is was free fishing to celebrate Canada Day, apparently it is the weekend after CD, not the one before.
First off im all for reporting poaching and illegal activity so good on the OP
but in post 14 you say its stupid and rude to not no the regs yet it looks like you didn't.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
but in post 14 you say its stupid and rude to not no the regs yet it looks like you didn't.
There's a big difference between reading and understanding the regs, and memorizing every single thing in the book. Especially things that dont apply to you (eg free fishing weekend when you already have a liscence)
Old 07-05-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Why in tarnation should he need to know that if it doesn’t apply? He could of seen it in the regs, and as soon as it mentioned free weekend he could of passed it by because he always has a licence.
Snap out of er bud.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:54 AM

I think we have to change the "Free Fishing Weekend " to "License Free Fishing Weekend".
Create lot of confusion to the newbies and at least they may understand license and regulations are involved.
Cheers
Old 07-05-2020, 11:32 AM

Lots of people on the bow yesterday. Talk to a few on the paths none had any idea on regs. Lots of people sitting on chairs with lines in the water. Couldn't see what they were doing but the bow is catch and release with no bait.

I agree there should be no free fishing but free license were you can get a pass and agree to follow regs. Give a link to regs right on it.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Lots of people on the bow yesterday. Talk to a few on the paths none had any idea on regs. Lots of people sitting on chairs with lines in the water. Couldn't see what they were doing but the bow is catch and release with no bait.

I agree there should be no free fishing but free license were you can get a pass and agree to follow regs. Give a link to regs right on it.
So to me you have identified the problem. There is so little actual enforcement that no one worries about knowing the regulations. How hard would it be for an officer to walk down the banks, check lines, bait etc. Start writing tickets and being there regularly and people will start to learn. The Fish Cops complain about be spread too thin, for hunting I get it, but for fishery enforcement, there just aren't that many places you need to cover. To me it is plain and simple laziness. They get paid a regular salary, what the heck are they doing 40 hours a week if they aren't out enforcing the rules. There is also no reason why their work shifts cannot include Sat and Sunday with two other days off. If we are going to have no license weekend, at least write warning tickets for rules violations and hand out reg booklets.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:06 PM

You should not feel guilty, everything was going fine until they broke the law. If poachers don’t get caught, we may as well stay home because there won’t be any fish to enjoy.
I have never had to report and I hope that I don’t but will feel good about doing this. Poachers are selfish and don’t really care about resources or the future of these resources.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:08 PM

Does this surprise anyone? Easier to just claim ignorance and pretend not being able to speak English, they know we're to passive to do anything anyway.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Why in tarnation should he need to know that if it doesn’t apply? He could of seen it in the regs, and as soon as it mentioned free weekend he could of passed it by because he always has a licence.
Snap out of er bud.
Just find it strange to complain about someone not doing something or knowing something that he didn't know as well.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:13 PM

If you really feel bad about it you could always watch for them and offer to pay the fines.

BW
Old 07-05-2020, 03:40 PM

If they seemed nice like you explained I would have confronted them. If they continued on I would have called it in but thats me. Nothing wrong with what you did. If I had to guess I would say they were Asian? My people tend to do stuff like this lol. I used to turn a blind eye to it when I was younger but not anymore.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
Definitely did the right thing. It takes a few minutes to read the regs for any body of water.
Yep agreed!
Old 07-06-2020, 06:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Does this surprise anyone? Easier to just claim ignorance and pretend not being able to speak English, they know we're to passive to do anything anyway.
Play that card and I know that around here your ignorance would cost ya.....no excuse at all....or you might get an educational lecture and a warning depending on how you act......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-06-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
So to me you have identified the problem. There is so little actual enforcement that no one worries about knowing the regulations. How hard would it be for an officer to walk down the banks, check lines, bait etc. Start writing tickets and being there regularly and people will start to learn. The Fish Cops complain about be spread too thin, for hunting I get it, but for fishery enforcement, there just aren't that many places you need to cover. To me it is plain and simple laziness. They get paid a regular salary, what the heck are they doing 40 hours a week if they aren't out enforcing the rules. There is also no reason why their work shifts cannot include Sat and Sunday with two other days off. If we are going to have no license weekend, at least write warning tickets for rules violations and hand out reg booklets.
have you ever been out of the city? just curious, I could fish a different spot every 2 hours and never see anyone else for days even just around here. 2 fish cops to cover hundreds of fishing spots? why do you think they want us to report what we see?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-06-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
have you ever been out of the city? just curious, I could fish a different spot every 2 hours and never see anyone else for days even just around here. 2 fish cops to cover hundreds of fishing spots? why do you think they want us to report what we see?
You know that it is entirely possible to disagree with someone's point of view without being condescending, sarcastic or a smartass about it? Maybe not, because you seem to use that approach pretty regularly.

The places where you see no one else for hours isn't likely to be the place you are getting the heavy poaching. Even if it is, those areas I get relying on calls to know about. What I was suggesting is they at least hit the high percentage spots, stocked ponds, common river spots, with lots of targets of opportunity because you don't see them at your spots or the high percentage spots either. Answering RAP calls makes perfect sense but I don't think that is using about 40 hours a week x the number of Officers employed.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
yup...stretched thin and following up on calls makes a walk down a creek bed hard to do...this aint the US where it seems the law enforcement is more abundant.....like most government agencies they do the best they can and make due with little to no resources/pay nor support....so like you said we need to assist where applicable...some don't get it though and complain eitherway….I don't see enough law enforcement....or...oh yeah got a ticket what a load of bs....odd how people are eh?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-06-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Don't feel bad for their poaching. A lot would not call it in, good job. Imagine if you didn't, how many more fish they would take over the summer? That is assuming they learn from this.
Imagine how many they have already taken and got away with... I would bet a lot of money that this wasn't the first time they have done this. Don't lose any sleep over doing the right thing. Good on you.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
You know that it is entirely possible to disagree with someone's point of view without being condescending, sarcastic or a smartass about it? Maybe not, because you seem to use that approach pretty regularly.

The places where you see no one else for hours isn't likely to be the place you are getting the heavy poaching. Even if it is, those areas I get relying on calls to know about. What I was suggesting is they at least hit the high percentage spots, stocked ponds, common river spots, with lots of targets of opportunity because you don't see them at your spots or the high percentage spots either. Answering RAP calls makes perfect sense but I don't think that is using about 40 hours a week x the number of Officers employed.
Every area is a high percentage spot. I have made calls from every lake, on every trip out so far this year for multiple offences from illegal possession to too many rods.. In a 40 hour week I am sure they are lucky to get out for 1 day. Every ticket that is challenged that officer has to show up for court, have his paper work up to date and then there are the nuisance wildlife calls etc. that the have to deal with as well. Totally underfunded and understaffed.

BTW good job on making the call the OP.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:48 AM

To the OP, I am 100% behind your decision to report these poachers. People that keep fish without reading the Regulations are habitual offenders, they need to be charged! It’s sad that we cannot have enough eyes out there and that is exactly why we need everyone to stand up for our resources when they get the chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:

wasnt meaning to be condescending, sarcastic or a smartass just saying it the way it is. I have them stop in and ask to report poachers if i see them because there is so much fishable area and so many places to hide around here, its sad they could use 25 officers and still not cover everywhere, plus as soon as they drive away whats to stop the poachers from taking out the second or third rod from the trunk and casting away. every frikkin bridge on the rivers is packed with tards who have no clue what the regs are or even that there are regs in the first place. had families who were fishing asking why the hell I was releasing such big good eating fish, more than once. told them if I see them keep a dino they would find out why as soon as the fish cops got there, and they still couldnt understand. sure a lot of idiots buying fishing gear nowadays. some even speak English!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-07-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
had families who were fishing asking why the hell I was releasing such big good eating fish, more than once.
I have had this happen too. I've used it as an opportunity to encourage them to get familiar with the regulations.

For some, it really seems like it's to wrap their minds around. Many come from a place where there harvesting regulations were either simple or non-existent.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:19 PM

Default Poacher

Good job!!

july 1, is free fishing and dont need a license. like on family day in Feb. They probably thought since its free fishing, that fish is free too. too many poachers out there. need more of them reported.

Tags
poacher