Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 08:52 AM

Default Rod Socks

Just wondering if anyone here are using them? If so, do you buy a full length sock if you have a 2 piece spinning setup or shorter and split your rod in half? Been thinking about it for awhile. Your thoughts if you use them and where did you get yours? Or have you made your own? Thanks
Old 07-02-2020, 09:15 AM

I use them on my full length rods. I use a pvc pipe with a plug on one end and threads on the other that I put them inside. This way I can fit a few rods inside without them rubbing on each other.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I thought about the PVC tubes but wondered about the reels being attached. So you just store the bare rods in the tubes? What about your reels? Do you take them off? I was thinking socks for the rods and a little bag cover for my reels.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Just wondering if anyone here are using them? If so, do you buy a full length sock if you have a 2 piece spinning setup or shorter and split your rod in half? Been thinking about it for awhile. Your thoughts if you use them and where did you get yours? Or have you made your own? Thanks
I have them for Just about all my rods including ice fishing rods. I like them and use them even when The rod goes into a plastic pipe for travel.

I saw what looked like the rod glove material sold by the foot at Barry Jays the other day and thought that might work well for customizing lengths or lining the plastic pipes.

For the plastic pipe you can cut a slot in for the reel or cut the last bit of the pipe in half.

an example I found. I don't cap the ends as I want my things to dry out quicker. and just use an elastic to hold the rod in.

I use built in Vac tubing as it is lighter than PVC pipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rod Pipe storage 1.jpg (48.4 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by cube; 07-02-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I have them for Just about all my rods including ice fishing rods. I like them and use them even when The rod goes into a plastic pipe for travel.

I saw what looked like the rod glove material sold by the foot at Barry Jays the other day and thought that might work well for customizing lengths or lining the plastic pipes.

For the plastic pipe you can cut a slot in for the reel or cut the last bit of the pipe in half.

an example I found. I don't cap the ends as I want my things to dry out quicker. and just use an elastic to hold the rod in.

This is a sweet setup!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-02-2020, 11:25 AM

I've used the nylon fabric ones from Bass Pro and the Rod Gloves and the Rod Gloves are far easier to manage. I like them for my rods in the rod locker as it does a few things.

1) it protects the rods from nicks and scratches better, making them less likely to snap under load

2) I have the rod gloves in different colors so it's easy to pick out which rod is which.

3) I like to leave certain rods setup for certain presentations (ie: Lindy rig, slip bobber, 3-way with slinky weight, etc). The rod glove slips over these setups and keeps things from getting tangled.

They are pretty cheap (under $10 IIRC) and a good way to keep things organized.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-02-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post

Good idea for sure but a little bulky for me as I usually have at least five rods in my boat and my rod storage compartment won't hold em. Good idea for transport. I would soft line the inside in some way
Old 07-02-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I've used the nylon fabric ones from Bass Pro and the Rod Gloves and the Rod Gloves are far easier to manage. I like them for my rods in the rod locker as it does a few things.

1) it protects the rods from nicks and scratches better, making them less likely to snap under load

2) I have the rod gloves in different colors so it's easy to pick out which rod is which.

3) I like to leave certain rods setup for certain presentations (ie: Lindy rig, slip bobber, 3-way with slinky weight, etc). The rod glove slips over these setups and keeps things from getting tangled.

SS
This sounds like a good setup for me as I usually keep at least 5 rods in my boat for pretty much the same reason. Like to change up quick if need be. Thanks for the insight. This helps
Old 07-02-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I use them on my full length rods. I use a pvc pipe with a plug on one end and threads on the other that I put them inside. This way I can fit a few rods inside without them rubbing on each other.
I did the same and made my own pvc tube but I always take my reels off and store those separately in a foam-lined case I made just cause I'm always changing reels and setups for different waters.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:06 PM

nah I probably should, but I dont even put socks on my feet most fishing trips I even have a storebought case somewhere cant even remember where I put it

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-02-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post

SS
X2.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I don’t have tubes in my rod locker, so I’ve got every rod in a sock.

I like to keep my reels in one of these neoprene covers too, protects them from getting scuffed and banged.

http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish...EL_COVERS.html
Old 07-03-2020, 01:00 AM

I found one of these rod gloves at a local lake a while back. Fits my broken down 2pc 6’6 rod perfectly. Excellent for protecting your vehicles and rod from snapping off or scratching the bejesus out of everything.

Like others, its the “the rod glove” brand commonly sold in bps/cabela and other fishing stores.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Thanks for the reply. I thought about the PVC tubes but wondered about the reels being attached. So you just store the bare rods in the tubes? What about your reels? Do you take them off? I was thinking socks for the rods and a little bag cover for my reels.
Sorry out camping and not the best service! Yes I remove the reels each time and store separate. I use the neoprene covers on them. Works well if you have space to store the tube. Mine fits perfect in the storage area of my trailer as I don’t leave them in the boat continuous.