Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 02:48 PM

Question Youth Firearm Transportation

I am 17 years old and have my youth firearms license, we keep all our firearms at the house but I was planning on bringing out my .303 and a .22 for the coyotes and gophers at the farm. I know I’m not aloud to shoot without an adult in ear shot that’s not the problem. My question is if the guns are locked and in a case in the bed of my truck do I need someone over 18 with me to transport them? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Buckshot82; 07-22-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Name change
Old 07-22-2019, 03:10 PM

The firearms would be in your possession, and a minor can't legally possess firearms on his own.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The firearms would be in your possession, and a minor can't legally possess firearms on his own.
Then firearms would not be able to be picked up at a post office by anyone not having legal authority to do so. Do Post Offices require staff to be able to legally possess firearms ?

Someone under 18 can have in their possession a firearm for the purpose of transporting it as authorized by a legal firearms owner.

The RCMP are harassing teenage gopher shooters but the discussions do nothing more than substantiate a confiscation agenda.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
Then firearms would not be able to be picked up at a post office by anyone not having legal authority to do so. Do Post Offices require staff to be able to legally possess firearms ?

Someone under 18 can have in their possession a firearm for the purpose of transporting it as authorized by a legal firearms owner.

The RCMP are harassing teenage gopher shooters but the discussions do nothing more than substantiate a confiscation agenda.
If the package containing the firearm is not labelled as containing a firearm, how does Canada Post know what is in the parcel? If the firearm was trigger locked or in a locked case that the minor did not have the key or combination for, you might get away with it, but if the minor is knowingly carrying a firearm, that they could use if they chose to, I would expect the police to seize them , if they discovered them in the minor's possession.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:26 PM

Chief Firearms Officer 701-10065 Jasper Avenue Edmonton, AB T5J 3B1 Mailing Address: 11140 109 Street NW Edmonton, AB T5G 2T4 phone number 1-800-731-4000 Fax number: 780-495-7970

ask to be transferred to Alberta cfo.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:05 PM

Shipping rules are different than possession rules. Firearms can be shipped with the people shipping the object not being required to possess a PAL. Someone without a PAL may also receive the firearm. Doesn't ad up to the other regulations. But that's how it works.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:52 PM

Youth 16 and over who have a minors Pal can legally transport and use non restricted firearms without an adult. My nephew just got his in the mail and the standard conditions only apply. If your 12 and under and sustenance hunt you dont need an adult for a youth pal. Lots of exceptions being allowed now.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
Youth 16 and over who have a minors Pal can legally transport and use non restricted firearms without an adult. My nephew just got his in the mail and the standard conditions only apply. If your 12 and under and sustenance hunt you dont need an adult for a youth pal. Lots of exceptions being allowed now.
Wow yeah I need to do some more research then, I had always been told that I needed someone within earshot of me until I was 18. I’ll have to really look into this though because my deer hunting season could get a lot longer lol.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
Wow yeah I need to do some more research then, I had always been told that I needed someone within earshot of me until I was 18. I’ll have to really look into this though because my deer hunting season could get a lot longer lol.
And I don’t think it’s “within earshot” but “within arms length”
None of that will matter if you can legally transport them yourself...good luck and give the gophers a rough time.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
Except the Provincial legislation can and does trump the Federal rules.

To hunt with a firearm, hunters under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, a legal guardian or by a person 18 years of age or older who has the written permission of the parent or legal guardian.

So you need your folks and or a note from your folks and have an adult present with you.(doesn’t need a PAL).
I think one of the conditions my boy had when he had his Minors PAL is he needed written permission from the owner of said firearm with him when he borrowed it.
He did this lots in his 16th and 17th years, standing note from me to borrow firearms, and a standing note for the landowner where we hunt, and other notes for specific adult friends who might take him hunting.

He went after school quite a bit to hunt.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-24-2019, 04:16 PM

if youre under age of 18 you have to have someone within arms reach of the firearm to take control of it if needed
Old 07-24-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
if youre under age of 18 you have to have someone within arms reach of the firearm to take control of it if needed
That is incorrect.

If the minor already has a minors PAL that statement doesn’t apply.
Now they do need to be accompanied on a hunt by an adult...... that adult doesn’t have to even have a PAL.........

I wish people would quit making up rules that do not exist.

In case you stumble with the accompany definition, here it is:

In this section, the term "accompany" or "accompanied" means that the persons involved are close enough to each other to easily facilitate verbal communications without the need for electronic devices. It is acceptable, however, for the hunter to be placed in a stand location by the guide or hunter host, if they remain at that same location to be picked up later the same day.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-25-2019, 03:34 PM

Dick284 teaches the course. His answer is correct and he knows more than most of those ladies you will get on the end of the line. Go with Dick's answer young fella. You are on safe ground.

Things are getting stupid now.
Closed Thread

Tags
firearms license, license, transportation