Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 07:58 AM

Default Mosquito Magnet

We are having a Family BBQ coming up soon and with the moisture we have had the mosquitoes are going to be hatching like crazy. Kind of worried about the Toddlers enjoying themselves without being bitten to death.

I was looking at buying one of those propane/electric devices Mosquito Magnet) and was wondering if anyone had bought one and if they are effective.

Thanks very much in advance.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:51 AM

I'm interested in those devices too. I don't like the idea of slathering kids with chemical repellants like 'deet'. If a chemical mosquito repellant can penetrate my fishing rod handles and fly lines and turn them into mush, I wonder what it's doing after it enters our skin. I might squirt some Muskol on the brim of my hat if things get real bad - but not on exposed skin.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:29 AM

The in-laws had two set up where we use to set up our trailers on their property. They work not too bad. If you go that route set them up a couple days before your BBQ. They will not catch them all but will get lots. We also found that for the kids, we would use a lotion called Skin so Soft by Avon. Either that or I can come over and hang out cause I seem to be the mosquito magnet in the crowd.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:35 AM

I tried this recipe this year you can google it. Was cheap blue listerine, Epson salts and stale beer mix it all together and spray around on bushes etc not on person. I sprayed it all over the dog houses etc and bushes close to there houses for the mosquitos are just crazy here. It may be doing something for don't notice them around the houses etc but go 50yds away and there all over the dogs and I.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:39 AM

We have and it works well. It's not a quick process. It will take a couple of weeks . It traps so they can't breed and cuts down on the numbers over time.

Look for garlic spray, attach to garden hose and spray area where you want to be. Various stores carry it. Strong smell of garlic but it does keep them away quickly. Do a few days before event and hopefully no rain to wash it away.

Both combined work well. Used last year and backyard was almost free of the pests. Go anywhere else and they were horrible. This is on an acearage.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:09 AM

Why not send the kids to run around the whole yard attracting the mosquitoes to keep them off of the adults?
Old 07-21-2019, 01:42 PM
Banned

Arrow

Thermacell's are a lot more effective, and start to work within minutes.

https://www.thermacell.com/

Cheers,
Nog
Old 07-21-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
I tried this recipe this year you can google it. Was cheap blue listerine, Epson salts and stale beer mix it all together and spray around on bushes etc not on person.
Where does one find this Stale Beer u talk of to mix in this recipe. Around my place there is no such thing as stale beer. There is mostly just ice cold refreshing Budlight. Lol
Old 07-21-2019, 11:24 PM

[QUOTE=thumper;4004131]I'm interested in those devices too. I don't like the idea of slathering kids with chemical repellants like 'deet'. If a chemical mosquito repellant can penetrate my fishing rod handles and fly lines and turn them into mush, I wonder what it's doing after it enters our skin. I might squirt some Muskol on the brim of my hat if things get real bad - but not on exposed skin.[/QUOTE

Wife’s cousin was all about using hippie chemical free naturopathic stuff one summer. 15 min into our hike she was crying for my deet laden spray! I don’t use it often but when I need it the stuff sure works!
Old 07-21-2019, 11:37 PM

Get a 2 gal sprayer and get some mallothime. Spray it in advance and it works great. But you have to stay off it for 24hrs after aplication. Keeps them out for about 3 weeks after aplication. Spray your lawn and into trees as high as can.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Where does one find this Stale Beer u talk of to mix in this recipe. Around my place there is no such thing as stale beer. There is mostly just ice cold refreshing Budlight. Lol
Around here they call that water....
Old 07-22-2019, 04:31 AM

We have been using one of these unit for the last few years. We start it about the middle of May and shut it off the end of August. They are the best thing since sliced bread. It is true that the effect is not immediate but it is very effective.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:55 AM

Default Propane Miz killer

I bought one a few yrs ago! Not that good it worked ok if you kept changing a bait scent until in! But they lasted a very short time!
Best of all is still a bunch of really good zappers on the night before, cleans them right up!
We run 4 in our your everynight and have to blow them out with compressed air every day! The fish in the pond love that every morning they wait with thier mouths open!
Don’t waist your money on junk! I’ve tried almost everything!

Sst
Old 07-22-2019, 10:22 AM

Costco carries a bug lantern thing that uses a UV light and fan to capture and kill insects. Avoid it at all costs! All it does it fill itself up with moths. Any mosquitoes that do get sucked in take days to die and escape when you have to empty the catch container daily. If it fills up overnight it usually pops the breaker by morning.

The real bug zappers seem to be the only thing that really help. The Thermacells are good but you will need a lot and the fuel cells aren't cheap either.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-22-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
We are having a Family BBQ coming up soon and with the moisture we have had the mosquitoes are going to be hatching like crazy. Kind of worried about the Toddlers enjoying themselves without being bitten to death.

I was looking at buying one of those propane/electric devices Mosquito Magnet) and was wondering if anyone had bought one and if they are effective.

Thanks very much in advance.
I would suggest looking into bug spray that uses Icaridin as the active ingredient. According to the label, "it is non-irritating, non-greasy and won’t damage plastics or synthetics and provides 12-hour protection from ticks, 12-hour protection from mosquitoes, and 10 hours from black flies." Approved for kids 6 months and up. Have used it the last 2 years, it is pretty effective and a very good alternative to Deet. You can buy it from places like Rexall or Sobeys (Rexall has their own brand but a common popular brand is called Piactive).
Old 07-22-2019, 06:30 PM

I have a friend that's rigged up a fan, a light and a net bag (like a pillow-case). He leaves it on every evening and it blows all the flying insects into the bag. He turns the bag inside out in the chicken coop the next morning, and the chickens love it!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:51 PM

Had one of these and as stated above, they work but are not an instant cure for a crowd. The propane supply burns and creates C02 which the little buggers are attracted to (Same way they find us apparently). Mine caught thousands of mosquitos, still got bit but maybe not as much. They do go through propane though. Put mine up-wind of the house/yard and it worked as advertised.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Thermacell's are a lot more effective, and start to work within minutes.

https://www.thermacell.com/

Cheers,
Nog
Agree, been using one for at least 10 years when hunting, and to keep the little vampires out of my job sites in summer.

My daughter got married a couple weeks ago, an outdoor wedding right close to Wapiti river. With all our rain, the mosquitos were thick at the rehearsal the night before. I showed up early the next day, set out 4 units to cover a 4000 sq foot area, and by the time I walked my girl down the grassy aisle, not a mosquito in sight.

They work great.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone