Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Default GMC 1500---5.3l or 6.3l

I'm thinking of trading in my 2015 GMC 1500 with a 5.3l engine for a new one. The salesman suggested I look at a 6.2 that has a 10 speed tranny vs a 8 speed with the 5.3. He claimed the 6.2 would have comparable mileage to the 5.3---and here is the question---what mileage do 6.2 owners really get.
I don't tow so I really don't need the extra power but the test drive proved it can really move if/when necessary.
The 6.2 and 10 speed tranny command a significant premium. Perhaps a luxury that I don't need.
So, what experience can AO members share about their GMC engines?
Old 07-19-2019, 11:04 AM

I have a 2018 with a 6.2 / Trailer Max package. (with an 8 spd. tranny)

Yesterday I drove 580 km. (At roughly 110 - 115 km/hr average) and burned 76 litres of premium. That was 90% hwy and 10% in town. I had about 700 pounds in the back, and I’m on 10 ply tires with 55 psi in them.

Hope that helps. My wife’s pickup has a 5.3 in it and while I haven’t figured it out recently, it’s not noticeably different.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:29 AM

I'd be leery when you have the much cheaper option of the 5.3L. That is as bulletproof an engine as it gets. Battle-tested, tried and true is rarely a bad decision.

I'm not saying the 6.2 is bad, but if you are not hauling a big trailer why would you need it? That 5.3 is capable of getting speeding tickets too
Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 AM

If not for the fact that I often tow a fairly heavy car hauler, I’d have gone with a 5.3 myself.

The 6.2 demands premium gas, and yes, it has tons of power, but it’s hardly necessary without a specific need.

My last one had a 6.0 litre, also a very rugged engine, but it only gave me 14 mpg. empty and about 10 mpg towing, if I was lucky. At least the 6.2 improves on that.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:16 PM

Default Chevy V8

Unless changed for 2019, the 6.2L is tuned to run on regular fuel. Unlike its Camaro/Corvette counterpart. Was GM product certified for a number of years. While you get quite a bit of extra jam with the 6.2L, a comparably equipped 5.3L won’t be that far behind with regards to towing capacity.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:25 PM

To me it is simple, only down side to the bigger motor seems to be it costs a bit more to buy it. I ALWAYS buy the biggest motor I can find, I have never regretted having too much power, nor do I care if it gets slightly to a lot worse gas mileage. Gas is probably the cheapest part of owning a vehicle. The grins the big horsepower give me is worth every cent and sometimes you actually really need it..
Old 07-19-2019, 01:53 PM

I have had 2 of both and currently have a 2016 6.2 and 2015 5.3. They always got near identical mileage but the power is significant between the two. My next one will have a 6.2 for sure. Run them both on regular.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:12 PM

My wife leased a 6.2L Chev, it was horrible on fuel. 20L per 100km's was its fuel economy without a trailer. We returned it for an F150 diesel unit.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:54 PM

My dealer tells me that the 6.2 should have premium fuel for top performance--- this is for this years model, not sure about past years models.
Thanks all for sharing your experiences--- certainly diverse opinions depending upon our life styles.
I've decided to get another 5.3. The new GMC's are really nice with a number of upgrades over the past 5 years. Pricey for sure but with my present vehicle being 5 yrs old it is time for anew one. I'm close to making the big decision.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:47 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
My wife leased a 6.2L Chev, it was horrible on fuel. 20L per 100km's was its fuel economy without a trailer. We returned it for an F150 diesel unit.
Forgive the thread derail, but what do you think of your F150 Diesel? I an considering one now you dont need to go with a full load truck to get it. I do a ton of miles and the mileage combined with the longer life a diesel engine seems to get it is kind of appealing, and I think future resale of a diesel might make it financially a decent decision and at worst a wash.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
I have a 2018 with a 6.2 / Trailer Max package. (with an 8 spd. tranny)

Yesterday I drove 580 km. (At roughly 110 - 115 km/hr average) and burned 76 litres of premium. That was 90% hwy and 10% in town. I had about 700 pounds in the back, and I’m on 10 ply tires with 55 psi in them.

Hope that helps. My wife’s pickup has a 5.3 in it and while I haven’t figured it out recently, it’s not noticeably different.
So thats about 13 liters per 100k. I just drove my 2017 5.3 back from the city twice with a full tank total about 400 k. the computor says I'm at 9.6 liters per 100k
Old 07-19-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Forgive the thread derail, but what do you think of your F150 Diesel? I an considering one now you dont need to go with a full load truck to get it. I do a ton of miles and the mileage combined with the longer life a diesel engine seems to get it is kind of appealing, and I think future resale of a diesel might make it financially a decent decision and at worst a wash.
No experience with the particular ford diesel. However, def systems in even the new trucks haven't been properly sorted from what I've seen. Diesels, in my experience, do not do well if over a quarter of their lives is spent in stop and go type of driving, or short trips where then engines do not have a chance to fully warm up.

My family's situation makes sense for diesels. If we start the vehicle, the trip is likely to be a minimum of 25 highway km or more before it gets shut off again. But most of the times it gets started and it's 129 km before it gets shut down.

Systems with DEF require longer trips to keep the exhaust system from clogging. If it doesn't have that, it's a major repair of dragging the entire system out of the vehicle, and cleaning it. If the system isn't cleaned out, backpressure damages the engine.

Many guys get a DEF delete. However manufacturers are always changing the vehicle software making it harder to delete the DEF system. It's ironic as the Def delete generally makes the vehicle more efficient while increasing power. Makes me wonder what is really going on with the emissions stuff.

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 PM

I'd go with the 6.2.........5.3's have more power now than the 6.0 had 10 years ago, but the current 6.2 is a power house. I recently drove a 2015 Denali with a 6.2....nice and torquey.

Power never goes out of style........too bad they dropped the 8.1

I currently have 2 Chevys with the 6.0 and they are a workhorse gas engine with good durability and the 6.2 is more of a good thing. I don't worry much about mileage. I'm going camping regardless. But I do also have a Duramax for that.

Last edited by rembo; 07-19-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:03 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
No experience with the particular ford diesel. However, def systems in even the new trucks haven't been properly sorted from what I've seen. Diesels, in my experience, do not do well if over a quarter of their lives is spent in stop and go type of driving, or short trips where then engines do not have a chance to fully warm up.

My family's situation makes sense for diesels. If we start the vehicle, the trip is likely to be a minimum of 25 highway km or more before it gets shut off again. But most of the times it gets started and it's 129 km before it gets shut down.

Systems with DEF require longer trips to keep the exhaust system from clogging. If it doesn't have that, it's a major repair of dragging the entire system out of the vehicle, and cleaning it. If the system isn't cleaned out, backpressure damages the engine.

Many guys get a DEF delete. However manufacturers are always changing the vehicle software making it harder to delete the DEF system. It's ironic as the Def delete generally makes the vehicle more efficient while increasing power. Makes me wonder what is really going on with the emissions stuff.

Just my thoughts.
See that is the type of driving I do. I commute 100km to work and 100km home every day. I use the truck for work here and there for sure, but rarely will it get started and run for less than 30 minutes. That is why I think it may be a good fit.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-19-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
See that is the type of driving I do. I commute 100km to work and 100km home every day. I use the truck for work here and there for sure, but rarely will it get started and run for less than 30 minutes. That is why I think it may be a good fit.
Water Valley into Calgary? Ya, I'd guess you'd do ok with that. Unless you're dead set on a pickup truck, have a look at a Mercedes ML with a diesel. If all you're looking for is a fuel efficient vehicle, look at the Mercedes GLK. The other one would be the E class diesel. Mercedes diesels new are less expensive than the gas versions. That's backwards from all other companies.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:28 PM

In a Chevy or GMC I would be looking for a 5.3 with the 8 speed and the Max Tow package. That seems to be the sweet spot price wise versus the 6.2.
You have to take quite a hit with additional options to get the 6.2.
The 5.3 with that package will do everything you need from a half ton.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Water Valley into Calgary? Ya, I'd guess you'd do ok with that. Unless you're dead set on a pickup truck, have a look at a Mercedes ML with a diesel. If all you're looking for is a fuel efficient vehicle, look at the Mercedes GLK. The other one would be the E class diesel. Mercedes diesels new are less expensive than the gas versions. That's backwards from all other companies.
definitely need a truck. Always hauling tires and wheels, equipment, dump runs etc... The Mercedes diesel stuff if sweet though. I rented a C220 Diesel when I was in Europe last and I was pretty impressed for the two weeks and 4000kms. Went like heck and great fuel economy!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 07-19-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Diesel mechanic here. In the 90s and early 2000s I would’ve recommended a diesel to anyone. Then about 2003 rolled around and it all changed. Diesel was about 30% cheaper than gas and a diesel saw about 10% better mileage, and the option was less than $2000. You couldn’t lose.

Now diesel for the last 10-15 years has been anywhere from 10-40% more expensive than gas. I’m not that familiar with the fords but I guess that the mileage of the diesel is about 10% better than the eco boost. So unless diesel makes a drastic price change you will never save anything at the pumps alone. Every time you fill up you are losing. Not like in the nineties when every time you filled up you were “paying off” the $1700 diesel option.

So now you lose every time you fill up, and you lost when you paid the $8800 option (just guessing) for diesel now. Now you also have to throw DEF into it at an extra cost too. Plus, repairs on a diesel can be insanely high. Not sure if you’re following the other thread but an exhaust system for a new powerstroke is 12k. Now that is a stolen system; but a failed turbo filling the DPF and SCR with oil would probably be in that neighbourhood. I bet you can replace 2 of the 5.0l in a Ford for that.

The resale value I see declining too. I think these trucks missed their timing and fewer and fewer people will pay the premium going forward thus destroying the resale value. Even those Colorado diesels used aren’t going for more than $2000 more than a gas truck on the used market.

Unless you are pulling loads, planting canola, paving roads, or mining ore; diesel is a lose, lose, lose, lose proposition for the average man in a half ton. This is really too bad. I would have given anything to have had a diesel option in a half ton in 1997. Many guys might be upset with my statements but if they kept their receipts they’d likely see what I’m saying.

Now if you have a reliable source of freesel fuel this changes everything.

Restore a 7.3l in a 1996 F250 and I’ll be on your side though.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Diesel mechanic here. In the 90s and early 2000s I would’ve recommended a diesel to anyone. Then about 2003 rolled around and it all changed. Diesel was about 30% cheaper than gas and a diesel saw about 10% better mileage, and the option was less than $2000. You couldn’t lose.

Now diesel for the last 10-15 years has been anywhere from 10-40% more expensive than gas. I’m not that familiar with the fords but I guess that the mileage of the diesel is about 10% better than the eco boost. So unless diesel makes a drastic price change you will never save anything at the pumps alone. Every time you fill up you are losing. Not like in the nineties when every time you filled up you were “paying off” the $1700 diesel option.

So now you lose every time you fill up, and you lost when you paid the $8800 option (just guessing) for diesel now. Now you also have to throw DEF into it at an extra cost too. Plus, repairs on a diesel can be insanely high. Not sure if you’re following the other thread but an exhaust system for a new powerstroke is 12k. Now that is a stolen system; but a failed turbo filling the DPF and SCR with oil would probably be in that neighbourhood. I bet you can replace 2 of the 5.0l in a Ford for that.

The resale value I see declining too. I think these trucks missed their timing and fewer and fewer people will pay the premium going forward thus destroying the resale value. Even those Colorado diesels used aren’t going for more than $2000 more than a gas truck on the used market.

Unless you are pulling loads, planting canola, paving roads, or mining ore; diesel is a lose, lose, lose, lose proposition for the average man in a half ton. This is really too bad. I would have given anything to have had a diesel option in a half ton in 1997. Many guys might be upset with my statements but if they kept their receipts they’d likely see what I’m saying.

Now if you have a reliable source of freesel fuel this changes everything.

Restore a 7.3l in a 1996 F250 and I’ll be on your side though.
I agree with this with the exception of the powerstroke restoration. Those trucks ride like a horse drawn solid axle hay wagon.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:22 AM

Default Trucks

Over life of any unit, cost of fuel will be more than price of the vehicle.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Over life of any unit, cost of fuel will be more than price of the vehicle.
Close to true. 200,000 MILES (330,000 klm), at 15 miles per imperial gallon, gas at $5 a gallon is $66,700. At 20 mpg you save $16,700. Doesn't take much to spend $70K on a pickup these days.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Default Diesel/gas

Driving a diesel especially a Ram Cummins is the difference between a real hot lady in your bed and a gas job chick that just lays their waiting for it to be over!
PS you will also keep the Diesel Chick for 500,000+Km but trade the Gas Chick in at 200K Km.

Last edited by Big Grey Wolf; 07-20-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:46 AM

I have the 6.2L in a 2018. Just the standard, not max tow, version. On Costco premium I get 11.8L/100 highway and UFA regular gets me 12.6L/100 according to the display. Thats empty highway driving at 100-110km/hr. Hook a 18' behind it and it drops down to around 20L/100
Old 07-21-2019, 11:55 AM

My 2010 Avalanche with a factory 6.2L 6 speed will get 22.4 mpg doing ~118 KPH with premium fuel and cruse on when ever possible.

Calculating MPG at fill-ups... not using DIC for reading; have not calculated city mpg as I know it's not not going to be great.

BTW the 6.2 gets better mileage than my 03 Avalanche with the 5.3

After driving the gutless gas pots that they put out in the 80's and 90's it is a blast to finally have a factory set-up with some real jam. I may not need all the power but it is a blast to drive
Old 07-21-2019, 06:01 PM

Default 2018 gmc 6.0

I have a 2018 GMC 1500 with the 6.0. The owners manual calls for premium fuel which i follow consistantly.

20,000km on it 12,000 or so are Highway 2. The milage consistanly shows 12.0L/100. The best i have gotten on a 100km trip is 8.3L/100. Personally I would definately go fror the 6.0
Old 07-21-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Driving a diesel especially a Ram Cummins is the difference between a real hot lady in your bed and a gas job chick that just lays their waiting for it to be over!
PS you will also keep the Diesel Chick for 500,000+Km but trade the Gas Chick in at 200K Km.
On my 2005 5.3 Silverado, I have 490,000+ kms - mostly Hwy/non towing - and going strong. Depends on how you treat them.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:08 AM
Banned

That 5.3 is a good engine! Not sure bigger is better but no life experience here
Old 07-22-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
That would be lovely! Haha. I average about 26L/100km in a 5.7L hemi...