Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Default OPINIONS: inflatable pontoon fly fishing boat

I am looking to buy a pontoon for fishing. I am hoping I might get some good ideas and direction from you folks.

I have owned several boats, and currently use the round fishing float tube design but not a pontoon.

I am wanting your opinions on your experiences. What you like; what to stay away from; good/bad; make model; garbage....etc

If you are looking to sell one I would entertain that as well. I have been on Kijiji to get ideas too.

Thanks in advance,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 AM

Are you talking about a portable, float tube type pontoon like a Fish Cat 4, or an actual pontoon boat that you can mount a motor to and carry gear like a hard cooler with?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:57 AM

Scott;
Actually either one....I have 3 of the round ones and liked it for years, but not so much now and looking for a change.

Thanks,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=best+...BQcEW8M:&vet=1

Old 07-18-2019, 12:29 PM

If you're planning to do some rivers with it, check out the Watermaster from Big Sky Inflatables. It's great for smaller trout ponds as well. Best part is it's frameless and all fits in large backpack so you can get to some hard to access waters easily.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:37 PM

I love my Fish Cat 4 pontoon style float tube, sitting mostly out of the water really helps keep me warmer in the spring and fall, plus they are quite durable.

I only use it for lakes for obvious safety reasons, and the only downside to this model is the weight is a bit heavy for longer hikes. They go on sale sometimes, you can pick one up for about $275 new if you catch a good sale.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM

Check out Outcast sporting gear. Quality stuff.
They have the great Fish Cat 4 series and pontoons
Old 07-18-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanks guys....

I have a 14' boat/motor for lake access and to fish with a buddy etc.

I am looking for something for a small lake or pond where there is no gas motor allowed; only electric or muscular... and a little more user friendly than the round ones. Most places I frequent is a very short walk....no hiking anymore...lol

One thing of note is, if you ever get a puncture etc on a round one, a replacement tube from a tire shop will get you a new truck tube for a fraction of the cost to that of a bladder.

I know I will be selling all my round ones with fins.

Last edited by graybeard; 07-18-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:15 PM

Graybeard,

I own a Fishcat 4 and love it. I will also say that I have never fished out of a full size pontoon, so I have no comparison.

I've noticed that I typically sit just below the waterline (220 lbs) but I can still reach around and fish enjoyably. I don't use an anchor of any sort, and don't feel I get pushed around too badly by the wind. I do like being able to redirect with a quick motion of the feet, rather than the idea of trying to get an oar/paddle coordinated if I needed to make a quick adjustment.

I really like that I have zippered storage on both sides, and there is a triangle area behind the seat you can toss a few things if you don't mind them getting a bit wet.

The Fish Cat also comes with the D-loops underneath which I have fixed a few straps to, allowing me to carry it like a big backpack. This is super handy to me, as many of the lakes are remote which I fish. I have even strapped it on and taken my dirtbike down to the lake before.

If it got stolen, I would definitely buy another!
Old 07-18-2019, 02:32 PM

imo...yOU STILL NEED FINS FOR BOTH.
Fishcat adv..Cheaper,more portable,lighter
dis...Leg power,body is still in the water.Colder water may req.neoprene waders
Pontoon.ADV..cost more,can add elec.mtr.generally come with oars,quicker,too move around,more room,storage..
DIS Set-up time,if you break it down to fit into a vechile.
Wind ;because your not in the water.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:24 PM

i bought this one on sale last year for like 239 or 249 ......

https://www.cabelas.com/product/boat...0.uts?slotId=4

problem is it was in the US and is USD. It was on sale.....but a buddy was going to kalispell MT.....and i paid for it online....he picked it up as he was coming back....i love it.....

keep.ur eyes open.....lol

happy
Old 07-18-2019, 04:43 PM

You might take a look at the Outcast Scout frameless pontoon. They have oars but are only 35 lbs. I have had one for 3 years and am really happy with it. I use it for stillwater fishing, but I have seen a couple of them on the Bow. It is certainly easier on my 60 year old back than the 65 lb Outcast Streamer XL I had previously. The oars are quite effective although obviously not as good as the longer oars found on framed pontoon boats. I made a trolling motor mount for the Scout and use it with a 35 Amp-hour wheelchair style battery. Here's a link to a previous post of mine about this boat.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ut+motor+mount

Ken
Old 07-18-2019, 05:03 PM

There are a few on Kijiji right now. Have a look.

I've heard good things about Bucks Bags pontoons and I don't think you can buy them locally. Does anyone here own one?
Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=graybeard;4002916]I am looking to buy a pontoon for fishing. I am hoping I might get some good ideas and direction from you folks.

I have owned several boats, and currently use the round fishing float tube design but not a pontoon.

I am wanting your opinions on your experiences. What you like; what to stay away from; good/bad; make model; garbage....etc

If you are looking to sell one I would entertain that as well. I have been on Kijiji to get ideas too.

Thanks in advance,

i have one i will probably part withhttps://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=/OUTCAST/FISH-CAT-STREAMER-IR/&se=30040
Old 07-18-2019, 11:27 PM

I can attest for the Outcast Scout frameless pontoon.

Packs away into a kids hockey bag, sets up in 5 mins.

Very stable on the rivers, rowed against 30-40km winds on barrier lake with a passenger. Tracks well on lakes and rivers.

Fins actually do something because you sit low. Fins are a must on the river for control. I recommended good fins like the force fins or outcast power fins.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:27 PM

I received a call on a minty Fish Cat 4......and I bought it this morning....

Now to sell my round tubes, and related gear.....

Thanks for all your input....

Old 07-19-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I received a call on a minty Fish Cat 4......and I bought it this morning....

Now to sell my round tubes, and related gear.....

Thanks for all your input....
I think you'll be happy with your new purchase. One thing you might look into adding if you don't already have one is a rod holder, I have the Scotty model which works really well. Guys get really creative adding custom made rod holders / gear holders out of pvc pipe too, check out some of the info online.

The extra space behind the seat is good for storing gear too if you have a dry bag, cooler, etc.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:11 PM

Am also looking for an inflatable pontoon fishing boat.
Hope it is ok to bring back this old thread.

Please list your must have accessories...

Full length chest waders right? I have good hip waders but NFG right?
Do they come with the fins?

I am thinking a rod holder.

Using oars, or electric?

Small pack for water bottle, snack, and rain jacket, anything else?

thanks in advance...
Old 04-24-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4570 View Post
Am also looking for an inflatable pontoon fishing boat.
Hope it is ok to bring back this old thread.

Please list your must have accessories...

Full length chest waders right? I have good hip waders but NFG right?
Do they come with the fins?

I am thinking a rod holder.

Using oars, or electric?

Small pack for water bottle, snack, and rain jacket, anything else?

thanks in advance...
A lot will depend on what type of pontoon you end up getting. For example, I have a standup FishCat so waders are completely optional for me as I can almost keep my feet dry the entire time. That being said, I still wear my full waders in case it rains so I can just throw on a rain jacket and be comfortable. I have a trolling motor so I don't use the oars a lot.

That being said these would be my items for any pontoon:
  • Oar hooks that can keep the oars attached to the boat when you don't need them.
  • Anchor. Pontoons drift around with the slightest of breeze so if you want to stay in a spot for a bit, an anchor is your best bet. I've never used flippers with my pontoon so I'm not sure if others find that is easier.
  • Some storage somewhere for water, snacks, safety gear, etc.
  • Goes without saying, life jacket unless you are a very advanced swimmer but I think since pontoons are classified as boats it might be mandatory.