Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Something from this site

https://www.jackery.com/
Just gonna quote this again because these guys has wicked products.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Not here!
Oh?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2019, 10:49 AM

Costco sells a 2 pack of pocket juice chargers for like 20 bucks. Go pick one of those up and take both with you. Each one will give you 3 charges on the average phone. Also worth mentioning I did 3 days in the backcountry last week using my inreach mini and phone with only Bluetooth on. I went in around 80% charge on my phone and came out around 70%. I only checked it when we stopped to see how far we were from the backcountry campgrounds, to send check in messages, and check the weather. If your not going to use your phone a ton, and turn it off while your walking, one charge would probably do you for your whole trip.

Edit: Also want to add to make sure you take good topo maps and a compass with you. I only say this because you said you want to use the maps on the ihunter app. The minimum for a topomap Id recommend is the BRMB, although if you can find a fold up water proof one those are the best. You should also look at GAIA GPS app which is like 25 bucks a year for the subscription. Good investment if you plan to do a bunch of trips.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill

Last edited by raab; 07-18-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Oh?

If you'd a goggled before you started the tread it wouldn't have shown up, but nice try.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:50 PM

Why am I having to justify asking this question here? This is completely ridiculous. There has been extremely helpful insight given, by people with similar use situations regarding the question asked.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2019, 02:49 PM

I have an old Goal Zero portable solar panel, that I haven't used in quite some time, but after some of the replies here, I'm thinking of hooking it up to one of the battery packs and charging my cellphone from that while hunting... that would be the best of both worlds I think since the battery pack should last for multiple charges and can be recharged by the solar panel if and when I need to
Old 07-18-2019, 02:57 PM

I used this Light (Hybridlight Solar Rechargeable Expandable Lantern, Flashlight, Cell Phone Charger) on my Mountain Goat hunt last year worked pretty decent as a phone charge and nice to have as a lantern in the tent. I did find that after I got a full charge it took 2 days of sunlight to charge enough to recharge my phone again as the actual Solar panel is fairly small.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 PM

The sun is a fire ball,,, a camp fire is the same thing but it's a pancake...

Both give off infrared light.

Yuppers,,, not the sharpest pencils in the pack,,, sometimes not the dull-est... Ha

http://equip2survive.com/2013/06/02/...e-electricity/

👍
Old 07-20-2019, 12:54 PM

We used a solar panel from MEC last year on a fly in hunt with no service. It was good, but I’d wanna check the forecast because it was very sensitive. Pointed straight at the sun on a blue sky day it charged an iPhone 7 in a couple hours. If it was angled off by a few degrees or it wasn’t full sun, it was a longer process.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:12 PM

I use an Anker charger. The one I have is a 20,100mAh unit with three USB ports. Also looking for a smaller one for weekends/overnighters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=RyanV86;4004068]I use an Anker charger. The one I have is a 20,100mAh unit with three USB ports. Also looking for a smaller one for weekends/overnighters.

How many days to you get from your 20100 mAh charger with your phone
Old 07-21-2019, 01:43 PM

I just ordered and got that anker. Should be good for a couple charges. Wouldn’t want to backpack it though. It’s like a little boat anchor.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:56 PM

Used an Anker to keep the change on my inReach and cell phone while sheep hunting last year. I don’t know whether the power surged or what caused it, but my inReach powered out and didn’t turn back on for 4 months.

I had even tested it extensively at home, prior to deciding to pack this little boat anchor.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:09 PM

A combination of Goal Zero solar panels and battery packs have worked well for me over the years. Their solar panels seem to work better than some of the others I’ve owned or tried. Wish they were lighter though...
Old 07-21-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
A combination of Goal Zero solar panels and battery packs have worked well for me over the years. Their solar panels seem to work better than some of the others I’ve owned or tried. Wish they were lighter though...
They don't seem to bad for weight if you run the Goal Zero Nomad. Not a whole bunch heavier than the Power Traveller(new improved Solar Monkey). The only thing I wondered with the Goal Zero was how durable they were. The Power Traveller's hard case is pretty bullet proof. The Goal Zero looks like you have to be half careful with it to not bend/break it? How do you find it for durability?

https://powertraveller.com/collectio...-solar-charger

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/solar-...s-solar-panel/
Old 07-21-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
They don't seem to bad for weight if you run the Goal Zero Nomad. Not a whole bunch heavier than the Power Traveller(new improved Solar Monkey). The only thing I wondered with the Goal Zero was how durable they were. The Power Traveller's hard case is pretty bullet proof. The Goal Zero looks like you have to be half careful with it to not bend/break it? How do you find it for durability?

https://powertraveller.com/collectio...-solar-charger

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/solar-...s-solar-panel/
My solar panel is a Nomad7 and has held up fine so far. (6-8 years, I think?) But from your link, it does look like it has been redesigned since I bought mine- So I wouldn't want to speculate on how the new model holds up. In my experience, the Goal Zero solar panels do charge well, even in less than perfect conditions. I usually leave mine propped in camp, charging a battery pack and have rarely returned to a pack that wasn't fully charged.

I can certainly see your point however- the Power Travellers would appear to be a more durable construction.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
My solar panel is a Nomad7 and has held up fine so far. (6-8 years, I think?) But from your link, it does look like it has been redesigned since I bought mine- So I wouldn't want to speculate on how the new model holds up. In my experience, the Goal Zero solar panels do charge well, even in less than perfect conditions. I usually leave mine propped in camp, charging a battery pack and have rarely returned to a pack that wasn't fully charged.

I can certainly see your point however- the Power Travellers would appear to be a more durable construction.
Sounds like its treating you pretty good for durability. I will have to have another better look at them. The Goal Zeros have a lot more panel area for sure so it makes sense they charge quicker and in less than ideal conditions. Thanks for the reply Wrongside.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:51 PM

What are you guys doing on your phones when you should be behind the glass?
Old 07-21-2019, 11:02 PM
Banned

They are good to use with a spotter to video something your looking at
Then you can watch it over in slow motion or stop it and really get a good look at the critter
Old 07-21-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
They are good to use with a spotter to video something your looking at
Then you can watch it over in slow motion or stop it and really get a good look at the critter
Phone scoping
Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post

Lots of guys have inreaches that connect to your phone so they can text home off of your phone instead of the inreach or use them to view topo maps linked to the inreach, Check the weather forecast. I have a bunch of reading material and podcasts on the phone that helps pass the evening time when a guy is out solo. And the new phones are nice for taking long range pics of game. Gives you another tool for field judging.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Sounds like its treating you pretty good for durability. I will have to have another better look at them. The Goal Zeros have a lot more panel area for sure so it makes sense they charge quicker and in less than ideal conditions. Thanks for the reply Wrongside.
You bet.

Seems like solar and battery tech is rapidly changing and improving these days. Leads to more solid options for us.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
My phone is off and packed away 99% of the day. But like bdub, I do use it for certain applications- ie; navigation, ballistics, photos and in the evenings for reading or a little music.

In the end, a phone is multi purpose, and even with a charging system saves me a little weight in my pack. I rarely carry a camera, GPS, etc anymore.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:32 PM

My InReach uses 2% battery per day. A phone will last 8-10 days. That’s airplane mode and on at night kept warm in the sleeping bag for an alarm clock. Phone is linked to InReach through the Earthmate app. This anker will handy to charge it a few times. Maybe take more pics that way.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Banned

Just seen a plug on Instagram for
Ravpower
Looks like it’s a light weight, high efficiency 3 panels solar charger
They have a 32000 mah battery as well
Old 07-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is exactly what I was thinking. How on earth did we ever get by out in the wild back in the good old days. Back then it was all about where can I save weight, hell a guy was even cutting the labels out of all your clothes to try and save weight. Now it how much junk and gadgets can I carry while out packing. That's the strong back weak mind theory, lol.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Just seen a plug on Instagram for
Ravpower
Looks like it’s a light weight, high efficiency 3 panels solar charger
They have a 32000 mah battery as well
My 30100 Mah power back weighs 1 pound 7 onces, and my 20100 mah weighs 14 onces, then add my 10000 mah goal zero bank weighs 6.7 onces, so this is what Im taking sheep hunting, I have a sunjack solar panel that has 2 usb ports, so we can now charge 2 units at night and that the panel charge both during the day
Old 07-22-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what I was thinking. How on earth did we ever get by out in the wild back in the good old days. Back then it was all about where can I save weight, hell a guy was even cutting the labels out of all your clothes to try and save weight. Now it how much junk and gadgets can I carry while out packing. That's the strong back weak mind theory, lol.
If you bothered to read the original post you would see what it’s for

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If you bothered to read the original post you would see what it’s for
Oh I know you get lost easily! It's tough to concentrate when you sit behind a desk at the bank all day.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Are you preaching on the subject from the back of your atv? Would love to hear your opinions on how or what a guy should pack out hunting, especially backpack hunting.