Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

The Alaskan's response to DFO's latest reckless politically based restrictions was first, to thank Canada for doing so (while giggling inanely at the stupidity of it all), then to immediately increase their own quotas for Chinook for the South East Troll Fleet. That number now exceeds 110,000 - the highest it has ever been. Combined with other area allocations, their State-wide quota is nearly 150 K (sans the usual bycatch in their pollack drag fleets). Rumors suggest Wilkinson could easily step into political power there for his commitment to the State's fisheries.

But they did thank us for shutting our fisheries down after all...

Nog
Old 04-25-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
The Alaskan's response to DFO's latest reckless politically based restrictions was first, to thank Canada for doing so (while giggling inanely at the stupidity of it all), then to immediately increase their own quotas for Chinook for the South East Troll Fleet. That number now exceeds 110,000 - the highest it has ever been. Combined with other area allocations, their State-wide quota is nearly 150 K (sans the usual bycatch in their pollack drag fleets). Rumors suggest Wilkinson could easily step into political power there for his commitment to the State's fisheries.

But they did thank us for shutting our fisheries down after all...

Nog
Obviously there is no co-operation between the two and the US certainly doesn't "share" Canada's perception on how the Fishery should be run.

After all one Countries Fishery certainly affects the other.

I really don't know much about the politics of the Fishery but Nog sure seems to. Thank you for posting relevant information!! I will be writing to the respective Minister et al.

We have recreationally fished the Coast for many years. What a wonderful resource!! It would seem Bureaucratic interference is at it's height.

I am very sorry your livelihood and many others are in jeopardy. This is serious stuff!!

I just can't believe the Coast can go one year with quota rules and all of a suddenly make a total left turn. It would certainly make one think they truly don't have a handle on what is transpiring with the Fishery. (Like total incompetence)
Old 04-26-2019, 01:15 PM
Banned

Arrow

First time in his entire reign I have heard anything I can agree with slip out of Horgan's yap:

“Their livelihoods are now compromised because of these decisions and I know the federal government understands that,” Horgan told CTV. He went on to say, “I would love to see a compensation package for those that are being adversely affected but at this point I haven't seen that.”

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/plan-to-help-c...rmen-1.4392094

Doesn't mean I will ever change my mind and vote for him, but I do find it interesting that a Lefty actually Gets It.

BTW: The Feds are ducking and running as hard as they can from any thoughts or considerations of compensation. While they quite often immediately jump to the aid of those their gross incompetence pushes off fisheries in the east, out here we are simply collateral damage.

In another turn, certain well placed academics at UBC are now calling for whales to be granted the dame rights as humans. I kid you not:

Scientists and environmental lawyers agree that whales need the legal rights of personhood to give them a voice in courts and legislatures, and to secure their continued survival and well being.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...ghts-as-people

And The Circus Continues...

Nog
Old 04-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Will the Whales then have gender neutral washrooms? I want confirmation we are all on the same level playing field.

Dodger.

Quote:
First time in his entire reign I have heard anything I can agree with slip out of Horgan's yap:

“Their livelihoods are now compromised because of these decisions and I know the federal government understands that,” Horgan told CTV. He went on to say, “I would love to see a compensation package for those that are being adversely affected but at this point I haven't seen that.”

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/plan-to-help-c...rmen-1.4392094

Doesn't mean I will ever change my mind and vote for him, but I do find it interesting that a Lefty actually Gets It.

BTW: The Feds are ducking and running as hard as they can from any thoughts or considerations of compensation. While they quite often immediately jump to the aid of those their gross incompetence pushes off fisheries in the east, out here we are simply collateral damage.

In another turn, certain well placed academics at UBC are now calling for whales to be granted the dame rights as humans. I kid you not:

Scientists and environmental lawyers agree that whales need the legal rights of personhood to give them a voice in courts and legislatures, and to secure their continued survival and well being.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...ghts-as-people

And The Circus Continues...

Nog
Old 04-26-2019, 01:43 PM
Banned

With DNA testing this should all be so simple.
Getting the countries to co operate will be tougher but do-able.

I am just amazed that no one can put this together to make sense.

There is no argument where the different fish originate from. I dont know if the exact map is 100% complete, but figure it out.

I just shake my head. This shouldn't be about "rights" or Commercial fishing or worrying about what financial losses will happen to tourist rec based businesses.
This should be about the fish. End of story.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:10 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
With DNA testing this should all be so simple.

I just shake my head. This shouldn't be about "rights" or Commercial fishing or worrying about what financial losses will happen to tourist rec based businesses.
This should be about the fish. End of story.
Jamie: Largely the DNA work has been done. I was directly involved in that for around a decade (when we first moved south) as I was directly contracted to DFO to do that (among other tasks). I literally collected thousands upon thousands of samples at varying time of the year, as did a good number of folks I trained to do the same.

DFO well knows that the impacts of Area G troll, and many of the recreational fisheries is negligible. The DNA and coded wire returns have well proven this for years upon years.

And while it certainly SHOULD be about the fish, it isn't. It is a sell-out by DFO caving into blackmail demands by Fraser FN's that they would fish the threatened runs into extinction if everyone else was not taken off the water. Purely Political. Accomplished in order that these FN's might (MIGHT being the operative word) do what is necessary to conserve the very runs THEY put in jeopardy.

In short, a complete joke. Especially since many of these FN's having realized their goal of getting everyone else off the water (who largely had damn near zero impact on the stocks of concern) are now saying openly they will not comply.

Nog
Old 04-28-2019, 01:20 PM

What a cluster.... Sounds like their mind is made up and that's it regardless of scientific evidence.

Sounds similar to the grizzly bear fiasco.

What a shame!!
Old 05-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Banned

Arrow

SFI Update:

CHINOOK RESTRICTIONS IMPACT SURVEY

As all are aware, on April 16 the DFO announced new management measures—non-retention fishing restrictions to address conservation concerns for particular runs of Fraser River Chinook. The broad application of those measures and an unwillingness to consider options that would allow opportunity for the public fishery while not impacting the stocks of concern is causing unnecessary and significant damage to BC's reputation and, more importantly and critically, to the economies of small coastal communities and small businesses around the bottom end of Vancouver Island and the entire length of Juan de Fuca and Georgia Straits in particular.

Appreciating the serious impacts and to better characterize, understand and convey what the restrictions mean to British Columbians, the BC Chamber of Commerce is reaching out to all sectors who are affected by this decision with a quick six question survey. If your business is impacted by the restrictions placed on Chinook salmon, please take a few moments to complete the BC Chamber of Commerce - Chinook Restrictions Impact Survey.

SOUTHERN RESIDENT KILLER WHALE - SRKW FEEDBACK NEEDED BY MAY 3rd

As many will recall, measures to help protect SRKW were to be announced by Ministers Wilkinson and McKenna on time with the approximate return of the whales to our waters. This means that a first round of measures are in the process of development and will soon be implemented. Over the past few months, DFO and Transport Canada led a number of Technical Working Groups. The SFI and SFAB representatives were invited to participate. And, as some will have noted or perhaps even attended, there were three public consultation sessions, in Victoria, Sooke and in Richmond. There is also an opportunity now and until May 3rd to provide feedback on two proposals that have been developed as a result of the TWG sessions and public consultation.

The government has consolidated feedback from the Technical Working groups and from scientific publications and produced a consultation paper that outlines two approaches. Your feedback and response to these proposals is needed. Express your support for Option A as it proposes much less impact on recreational fishing and boating activities than Option B.

The consultation process closes this Friday, May 3rd and the measures will be implemented shortly after that. The consultation paper is here and provide comments in support of Option A to DFO.SRKW-ERS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

For more information and details about SRKW please visit both SRKW.org or the SFI SRKW page.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvan View Post
So here we have a group of guys from a Province that's wants to cut off our oil complaining about fishing on our coast and talking about poaching I know all those Alberta plated 1/2 tons with freezers in the back are just running back and forth from Rupert empty
Slow your roll. Ocean fisheries are a Federal Issue. Those stocks do not belong to BC. They belong to Canada which at least for now Alberta and every other province is a part of.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Banned

Arrow

From yesterday's protest:

However, anglers say these conditions will do little to protect the chinook populations they were intended for, and harm communities that rely on the sport fishing industry. The $1.1 billion industry supports over 9,000 jobs.

According to organizers, the DFO's own DNA sampling of chinook salmon caught last year shows that recreational fishermen reeled in less than one per cent of vulnerable chinook stocks.

"Sport fishermen are the first ones that want to protect stocks of concern because we want to see them in future years," said Jason Assonities, a local fishing guide.

"We have the data that says we're not really catching them in this fishery, so why are we getting closed down when we're not catching these stocks of concern?" Assonities added.

"For us, it's pretty clear this is all optical, and it's all political."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...119270?cmp=rss

Every single time Pierre's Idiot Child can get in front of a microphone he mumbles repeatedly about Jobs Jobs Jobs.
I guess they simply don't count if they aren't in Quebec, eh?

Nog
Old 05-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Interestingly enough, DFO's own website, which had both the in-river FN Chinook fisheries listed that they let (one week plus extensions on The Most Endangered run of Chinook in the Fraser), has been modified such that they have now been removed? I have sent them a request for clarification, and will see if one of the other Ladz captured a screen shot (I do believe so) which I will post once located. Appears to be even more shenanigans occurring...

And of course the Minuter continues his blatant lies over this issue:

""As Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, Canadians expect me to make my decisions based on science and evidence, and ensure these endangered wild chinook stocks survive," stated Wilkinson. "The restrictions were mindful of what we have heard from recreational and commercial fisheries stakeholders."

https://www.nsnews.com/news/angered-...ver-1.23809422

He simply could not have strayed any further from the truth in that comment.

Nog
Old 05-02-2019, 12:37 PM
Banned

Arrow

Anyone that wants to understand how much closed door planning happens between the DFO and FRAFS (Fraser River Aboriginal Fisheries Secretariat) have a read. Warning, barf bag may be required...

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...019-pdf.45275/

Nog
Old 05-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Another poster, on another Forum, who gets some of the unintentional ramifications:

"As Coastal Communities all up and down BC and especially on Vancouver Island get hammered in order to appease the lower Fraser First Nations or more correctly, a few bad actors, there is a growing realization that the Financial interests of a great many First Nations in the smaller coastal communities are also being damaged and in some cases severely. Many of their interests are directly connected to the Public Fishery and tourism. In my view they are increasingly becoming concerned about this and as the full impact of how this will harm there interests sinks in I think it will get more interesting for the Federal Liberals. In effect by completely capitulating to the Lower Fraser First Nations in an unbalanced and misguided failing attempt at reconciliation, the Federal Liberals not only turned their back not just on BC's coastal communities but also on the many coastal First Nations who are apart of those communities."

Yep.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Anyone that wants to understand how much closed door planning happens between the DFO and FRAFS (Fraser River Aboriginal Fisheries Secretariat) have a read. Warning, barf bag may be required...

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...019-pdf.45275/
Apparently some are having issues accessing that link.

For those with strong stomachs, here is another approach that works:

http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files2...LN-in8Klri6OzU

Nog
Old 05-03-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Decent Summary of the where & why:

Pacific Angler Report (Copied)
Vancouver Saltwater Salmon Fishing Report

Well it’s official. The DFO and Fisheries Minister have made it non-retention for chinook salmon on the south coast. They just shut down some of the best fishing I have ever seen in our local waters and what is very likely the best fishing on the entire coast right now. That’s just our area. Let’s not forget about the iconic sport fishing communities on the Island like Tofino, Ucluelet, Bamfield, Campbell River, Renfrew, and Victoria, just to name a few. The result is thousands of people are going to lose their jobs and it is going to cost this province hundreds of millions of dollars.

So how did we get here? Well it’s a complicated scenario and the road to this closure has a lot of ups and downs and twists and turns, but it goes something like this. Chinook stocks are diverse. Some come from the Fraser, some from rivers that empty directly into the ocean, some spend 2 years in the freshwater before they leave to the ocean, others out migrate right away, some spend their ocean life in local waters, some go way offshore. So, as you can imagine, some stocks might be suffering while others are doing very well. Large blanket closures are an ineffective way to manage such a diverse resource.

Enter interior Fraser chinook. These fish spawn in the interior tributaries to the Fraser, and they hang out in these rivers for 2 years before out-migrating. To say things are not going well up there is an understatement; less water, long hot summers, warm water, forest fires, siltation, are just a few of the issues these fish have to face for 2 years. The end result is the survival rate is extremely low. The few that do make it after 2 years then have to make it past the seals as they leave the Fraser. Of all the out migrating salmonids, these 2 year old chinook smolts are some of the biggest, only second to steelhead smolts. As a result, the seals focus on them, as they do steelhead smolts. As many as 47% of them are consumed by seals. The few that make it then head offshore to feed and return 2 years later. In general, they come back around the south end of Vancouver Island and into the south arm of the Fraser, returning in the months of April, May, June, and July. There is no doubt these fish need to be protected and we are all for that. Sport fishing regulations have been in place to do so for many years, so much so that our exploitation rate for these fish is either at 0% or so small that it is negligible.

So, what about all these fish off South Bowen right now and over in Nanaimo and Gabriola? Well these are not the fish I just described above. DFO has a lot of DNA data that shows what fish we are catching, that is how we can be so certain. This is a scientific fact, not speculation. The fish we are we catching in these areas are from a variety of rivers where things are not as dire as the conditions seen in the interior of the province. The chinook stocks from these systems are stable, and in some cases are at or near record returns. There is no conservation concern for these stocks and a 2 per day limit is sustainable. A 1 per day limit is certainly sustainable and acceptable from a scientific fisheries management viewpoint. If you have been fishing these past 2 weeks you know how many fish are out there.

Then why did we get shut down? This is the question you should be asking and I am going to tell you the politics behind it. The reality is this. The interior Fraser chinook need protection. Sport fishing regulations have been in place to do so for many years as noted earlier, and commercial troll opportunities for these fish have been reduced heavily in the past and this year are non-existent. The last piece of the puzzle is First Nations in river fisheries for these same fish. You can’t carve any more meat off the bone from the recreational or commercial fleet, the rest has to come from First Nations in river fisheries. This isn’t me speaking; this is the DFO science that was presented in a variety of meetings and forums.

The only way to put more of these fish on the spawning beds is to stop in river netting of these fish. Hence the recent closures and reduced opportunities for First Nations over the coming months as per the announcement yesterday. I hope you are connecting the dots here and asking yourself this question. So why is a sustainable fishery like we see off South Bowen, for non-interior Fraser chinook, which are experiencing good to excellent survival rates, closed? You should also be asking yourself why this fishery is closed when it has absolutely nothing to do with these interior Fraser chinook. Well we asked these very questions to the Minister and DFO these past few days. The answer we received was this. Despite the fact our current local chinook fisheries have no impact on these interior Fraser chinook, they have to close the recreational fleet on a grandiose scale so they can reduce First Nation in river harvesting opportunities for interior Fraser chinook.

We pointed to their science that shows we aren’t catching those fish and asked if we could have 1 a day, the answer was no. We asked if we could keep a hatchery only, which has absolutely 0 effect on Fraser fish as these fish are from the USA, the answer was no. In short, the answer is the recreational fleet has to be closed first, and then they can take fisheries measures for First Nations second. That precedent was set in a case that is often referred to as the Tommy Case. Let me make this clear. If there is a conservation concern, I will be the first to put the rods away, and if anyone has a right to the first harvest of those fish, I agree it should be First Nations for ceremonial and food fish purposes. I get that if we are fishing for the same fish. What I don't agree with and what I don't get, is the DFO shutting down one distinct fishery and user group so they can shut down another user group on totally different fish. This is ludicrous and political, this is not scientific, and this is mismanagement of the resource at the highest level. So, I think it is important that we are all very clear that this Minister just shut down the entire south coast so they can attempt to reduce First Nation in river impacts on interior Fraser chinook.

On our home waters that means they just shut down South Bowen, Thrasher, Nanaimo, which are all experiencing amazing fishing (for non-interior Fraser stocks), just to have the opportunity to keep First Nations nets out of the Fraser to save interior Fraser stocks. You can see my frustration. Unfortunately, I don't think it is going to do much to help these fish. DFO needs emergency hatchery production for these fish, the habitat needs some help, and we need to deal with the seals. None of that is happening anytime soon from what I can see. Since the DFO has sacrificed the whole south coast, I hope they plan on making sure the Fraser is net free until July 14. I hope fisheries like this have now been closed 2019 Open Times for the Mid & Upper Fraser River First Nations Fisheries - Week 16. I will give the DFO the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume that is the case; I certainly hope so for the fish. In the meantime, diverse and sustainable recreational fisheries remain closed and the south coast marine fishery and economy has been cut off at the knees.

If you think this management strategy is unacceptable, you need to let DFO know. Send an email to these people and let them know this is not acceptable. Let them know how it is affecting you and let them know how you are going to vote next election.

Hon Jonathan Wilkinson Minister Jonathan.Wilkinson@parl.gc.ca

Rebecca Reid, DFO Regional Director General, Pacific Region Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
It's my understanding that the DFO were held at gunpoint by the Fraser River FN fishery and were told they would have to shut it ALL down in order to to get thier compliance on the Fraser River closures. DFO fell for it. Now they ( Fraser River FN Fishery) say they have no intention of honoring that commitment. Are DFO the dummies or was that particular plan recommended to DFO by the Salmon Commission ? I know it's a bit late now to do anything about it, but how do you see this all playing out?

Last edited by Salavee; 05-03-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:48 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
... Are DFO the dummies or was that particular plan recommended to DFO by the Salmon Commission ? I know it's a bit late now to do anything about it, but how do you see this all playing out?
It was purely a political move, and executed by DFO.
Current belief is that the PMO put extreme pressure on the DFO Minister to cave in to FN demands. It is thought they believed this was a "necessary" step to try and pacify FN's ticked off over losing their Shining Star Minister (JWR) and near complete lack of anything substantial on the FN portfolio since this government came into power. Unfortunately that gambit has failed miserably, and has / is costing the coastal communities in a very dear way.

Playing out? If this government survives October, these measures will stand for a minimum of five years, and more likely ten. In fact, it is completely possible thing will get even worse.

Should the alternative group get in, there is some possibility they might over-rule this horse-pucky (there have been mumblings to that effect from some of them).

In the meantime, my crew (Area G troll) is gearing up to meet with recreational sector reps with a view towards establishing a class action lawsuit over these matters...

Nog
Old 05-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Despite the Minister's whining that this was all about getting the FN's to stop in river Fraser Chinook fishing until July 15 (when BTW, some of the more threatened runs will be in the river & ripe for exploitation) he has let no less than SEVEN openings for targeting on threatened / endangered Chinook runs since mid April.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...nTimes-eng.pdf

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/f...s_Previous.pdf

Of course there is zero accountability regarding the numbers those openings removed and from which endangered stock.

But hey, at least we got those damn sporties and commercial guys off the water, even if they don't catch the runs in question to any measurable degree.

Canadian Government HYPOCRISY at it's finest...

And folks wonder why we have difficulty believing anything they have to say...

Sadly - Nog
Old 05-06-2019, 02:50 PM

The poachers are having a tougher time now too, one of the 2 processors in Rupert (not Rupert Meats) is under investigation for buying and selling illegal seafood. Everyone has known about it for years. I wonder what finally pushed them into charges?
Maybe something to do with the now 1000+ crab dumped in Vanderhoof, last pile being over 200. Story is that while in transit to sell the illegal crab someone called them and told them to dump the load.
They will never catch everyone but this is a good start.

Now stop netting the spawning salmon and they may have a chance.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
The poachers are having a tougher time now too...
The poachers on the Fraser will NEVER "have a tough time". Period.
Enforcement will always look the other way. Best they can manage is to try and take out nets (when no-one is monitoring them of course).
And as long as there is a market, it will continue until the last chinook is killed for an illegal sale.

Reality.

Nog
Old 05-06-2019, 03:37 PM

https://flyfusionforums.com/board/to...comment-206748

Perhaps some truth here:
Old 05-07-2019, 12:17 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Simply does not occur in the case of Chinook (Springs).
The recreational sector has, for years, been granted exponentially more of the TAC than the two troll groups involved.
There are no seine fisheries for this species beyond the odd terminal one (aka limited Port Alberni) and gillnets have been largely taken out of the picture except for FN use (both FSC and race based commercial).

The harvest by all commercial sectors last season was WELL below 80,000.
The harvest by the recreational sector was in excess of 200,000.

Simply Facts..
Nog
Just saw this...

In fairness that was negotiated to allow Commerical fishermen first rights to Sockeye, Chum, Pink salmon.

Also, the key fact here guys the rec sector only takes 0.6% of the fish we catch as a whole are from this river. Obviously as you get closer to the mouth of the river that goes up, so I do understand some restrictions, but take areas 12-13, in the past 3 years only 130 fish have been caught from the Upper Fraser River via DNA...that's IT!!! Yet shut down....130 fish out of around a 20,000 return?!?! insane to close for what it does to small communities.

Not to mention same DNA sampling shows almost no Upper Fraser fish caught on WCVI especially farther north. Just doing it for FN and Environmental groups. This Liberal government is a joke. We are lucky, but many fishing lodges and charters are not and this will hurt them greatly. Even past that though, ruin reputation of BC as a sport fishing destination going forward. Biggest impacts I bet are in 2020.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 05-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Well worth watching!!

https://www.facebook.com/robert.alco...5999435322307/
Old 05-09-2019, 04:10 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Something smells fishy

Nothing infuriates me more than when a politician claims to be "following the science" and then goes against it—when he/she claims to be fighting for the environment while at the same time cutting funding to the very programs that support it.

On Wednesday, May 1, I travelled to North Vancouver along with other Whistler and Squamish residents to attend a protest organized by Whistler local Dave Brown against the recent extensive closures of recreational salmon fisheries in our waters.

The turnout was beyond expectations with more than 200 supporters and multiple TV and radio crews in attendance in front of (federal) Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson's office.

Speakers representing recreational fishermen and women, charter companies and local businesses expressed their support for protecting salmon populations, but their dismay at the lack of science-based decisions and real action in addressing the issues.

As a former environmental scientist and a recreational fisherman, it was deeply frustrating to have our Liberal Fisheries Minister ignore his own department's science and make a decision to completely shut down retention of Chinook salmon on the majority of the South Coast of B.C. until July 31.

This decision will do little to protect the early Fraser Chinook populations of concern; Department of Fisheries and Oceans' (DFO) own DNA data shows recreational anglers catch 0.63 per cent of these Chinook stocks while there are numerous other healthy Chinook populations in our local waters, that should be open to retention.

This spring, the Chinook salmon fishing has been nothing short of spectacular prior to this closure. This closure is severely impacting B.C. coastal communities and business—the very people who care deeply about healthy salmon populations. This is a missed opportunity to put in place a concrete, funded plan that would actually help the Fraser River Chinook populations, rather than (only) giv(ing) the appearance of doing something.

Interestingly, the public fishery in B.C. is a $1.1-billion industry and the largest economic contributor of all the fisheries, supporting 9,000 jobs. However, we catch less than 15 per cent of halibut and 10 per cent of salmon coastwide, and less than four per cent of total fish harvested in B.C.

I want to see Fisheries Minister Wilkinson put into action a recovery plan for early Fraser Chinook that includes Chinook predator control, habitat protection and rehabilitation, key hatchery enhancement as well as adequate funding for fisheries officers and habitat staff.

Attacking recreational anglers under the guise of conservation is a thinly veiled attempt at gaining political favour that inflicts serious harm to the B.C. economy and coastal communities, does not enhance the early Fraser River Chinook salmon stocks and side steps the need to take real and meaningful action.

Be very wary when your elected officials claim to be "following the science."

Mark Steffens // Whistler

https://m.piquenewsmagazine.com/whis...t?oid=13827008
Old 05-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Banned

Arrow

Two more in river Chinook FN openings for five days each just ending. Or are they?

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...nTimes-eng.htm
Old 05-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Old 05-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Today. Granville Island. NO legal source whatsoever...
Still up at the end of the business day...
And yeah, reported... For whatever "good" that will do...

Nog
Old 05-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

Nog
$50 a pound.... HOLY.. Whats the cost of Coke or Heroin out that way...

THE BALLS these guys have.
I would guess a undercover reporter would get a hell of a kick out of casting some serious light on guys like this.

That would embarrass the crap out of the politicians and the tribes.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Don't expect the CBC or The Nature of Things to cover it.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Don't expect the CBC or The Nature of Things to cover it.....
True.. You need a local CTV guy.. That way you have a chance of it going national.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Nog
I just emailed the fish company in Granville island asking them about their fish. I will let you know if I get an answer.

"It's being wildly circulated on the web that you are selling Fraser river spring salmon. May I ask where have you been able to legally aquire these fish since all fisheries have been closed?
Thank You
Scott Helderweirt"