Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Default Red deer gold prospectors group anyone?

Hello everyone

My name is Fish_guts! Just looking for anyone interested in gold panning, kayaking, fishing, camping, 420 and hip hop lol. I’m down for all of it and none of my friends or family are! I have a kayak, sluice box(river and highbanker). Looking for people to go out with. I’m probably gonna head out to the baptiste river this weekend if anyone is down for some sluicin and fishing!

HOLLER BACK!
Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 PM

Had much luck sluicing/panning around Red Deer?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:51 PM

Yeah there is quite a bit in the places I’ve been. Some places I would still like to check out. Gotta use a floatation device to get too.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:04 AM

Anything in the Clearwater river upstream of Hwy 54/22 bridge? I'm from Red Deer County.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:14 AM

There is actually quite a bit of placer gold in that river! But nsr is the best bet!
Old 07-22-2019, 06:49 AM
Banned

Default Baptiste river

I have been at the Baptiste in the last few weeks. Due to the amount of rain we have received, the level of the water is about 5' higher than normal.
I would say not workable for what you want to do.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:01 AM

McLeod river has decent gold as well as the embarras in Edson area. Both rivers are too high to bother with currently. Agreed that the north sasky is the best but also flowing way too high. Just wish the gold was a bit bigger but still interesting hobby and more than just gold to be found some cool gemstones and other stuff aswell.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 PM

Some prospecting to be done around Whitecourt now too. "Things" are where you find them.

Mentioned in a gov't geological report...

2007- "Significant amounts of placer gold, platinum and rare diamonds have been found in gravel deposits on the northern outskirts of Whitecourt, Alberta. These deposits are currently being worked for their cobble and gravel components, but test circuits have been set up to recover heavy minerals from the gravel washings. These minerals are recovered by various density-sensitive methods, such as a jig concentrator, shaking table, spiral concentrator and Knelson concentrator. Quartz, almandine garnet, magnetite, ilmenite, hematite, gold, zircon and monazite were the main minerals identified in these concentrates during this study, along with minor amounts of platinum, pyrite, dolomite, calcite, cerussite, lead, rutile, chromite and barite. Rare diamonds recovered from other samples were also shown to us, but not recovered from the samples used in this study.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-22-2019, 10:10 PM

Oh man I’m stir crazy waiting for the river to slow down so I can set up a high banker. Be nice to meet up with some of you guys and get busy finding all these goodies! I know we’re not getting rich but it’s so damn fun! Lol
Old 07-22-2019, 11:33 PM

Check out "Bull*^%$korner" on YouTube. He's in Red Deer and is a prospector type guy.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS View Post
I have been at the Baptiste in the last few weeks. Due to the amount of rain we have received, the level of the water is about 5' higher than normal.
I would say not workable for what you want to do.
They tell me there are actually some claims on the Nordegg river.

Grizz
Old 07-23-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
They tell me there are actually some claims on the Nordegg river. Grizz
From what I can see the only mineral claim on the Nordegg river is industrial. It is for subsurface sulphur. At the headwaters of the Nordegg there are some permits for dolomite and limestone.
https://geology-ags-aer.opendata.arc...11.138%2C53.51
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-23-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_guts View Post
Oh man I’m stir crazy waiting for the river to slow down so I can set up a high banker. Be nice to meet up with some of you guys and get busy finding all these goodies! I know we’re not getting rich but it’s so damn fun! Lol
Here's a good interactive map you might enjoy. It has many layers but if you shut off a few of them you can see places where sampling has occurred for many minerals. Click OFF all the layers and only leave the resource estimate and metalic mineral occurrence layers on. Then look WSW of Edmonton to the Blue Rapids area, 83G03 on the grid. The sample there is very intriguing. 85 grams of gold per ton. That's like almost 3 ounces in a yard of gravel. I called the map makers to see if this was an error and they assure me it isn't. The catch is the gold has 30 meters of overburden on it...so if you feel like digging a tunnel....

https://ags-aer.maps.arcgis.com/apps...ff766fb8d0aee5
Old 07-23-2019, 03:29 PM

Seems like some interested prospectors in here! Anyone up to some panning in the near future??
Old 07-23-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Here's a good interactive map you might enjoy. It has many layers but if you shut off a few of them you can see places where sampling has occurred for many minerals. Click OFF all the layers and only leave the resource estimate and metalic mineral occurrence layers on. Then look WSW of Edmonton to the Blue Rapids area, 83G03 on the grid. The sample there is very intriguing. 85 grams of gold per ton. That's like almost 3 ounces in a yard of gravel. I called the map makers to see if this was an error and they assure me it isn't. The catch is the gold has 30 meters of overburden on it...so if you feel like digging a tunnel....

https://ags-aer.maps.arcgis.com/apps...ff766fb8d0aee5
Before you load up your gold pan and shovel, that's 85 grams concentrate, which works out to 0.19 Grams Per Tonne.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:49 PM

Welcome "Fish Guts", If you are planning on hand mining in Alberta you will need a Metallic and Minerals permit for anything more than gold panning, IE Highbanker with pump. $50 for 5 years from Alberta Gov't. It's essentially an royalty agreement for any gold you sell, over an Ounce a year. Also you will need to abide by their environmental policies for water turbidity as well as seasonal closures for class of waterbody, NSR has several.
I'm just giving a heads up since Fish and Worms have been checking setups and permits last few years, save you some grief.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:26 PM

Link to get you started, https://www.alberta.ca/minerals-plac...-tool-kit.aspx
Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Before you load up your gold pan and shovel, that's 85 grams concentrate, which works out to 0.19 Grams Per Tonne.
Thanks for clarifying that. I see that I misinterpreted the map site data.

Outrageously silly of me. I don't want to start no gold rush. There are places where there is considerably better prospects.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Just gotta find an old dried up river bed and look there! Anyone know where anything like that exists around red deer??
Old 07-24-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Just gotta find an old dried up river bed and look there! Anyone know where anything like that exists around red deer??
The old river beds intersect the current river beds in places.

Here is a good amount of info on Alberta's gold that's only 35 years old. There is a map in the report that gives a couple ideas of where gold is concentrated.

https://ags.aer.ca/document/OFR/OFR_1985_11.pdf
Old 07-24-2019, 03:09 PM

Just stopping by to say hi, your name sounds awfully familiar! Lol if you're ever up around Edmonton then feel free to message me!
Old 07-24-2019, 03:21 PM

Nothing wrong with high water, it naturally works the ground and small gravels into a bank.
Once it drops a bit, you can find fine gold where you would have had to work many cubes of material prior to the high water.

TBark
Old 07-25-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnuts View Post
Just stopping by to say hi, your name sounds awfully familiar! Lol if you're ever up around Edmonton then feel free to message me!
Right back at ya man!!
Old 07-25-2019, 06:04 PM

Anyone have pictures of their set ups? I’m gonna take some this weekend of mine! I’m heading out to baptiste to pan if anyone is interested! Still wouldn’t mind finding some old river beds and trying there aswell.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
A lot of old river beds were buried during the last ice age. Anything since is relatively recent. Trick would be to locate one of those.

Grizz
Old 07-25-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
A lot of old river beds were buried during the last ice age. Anything since is relatively recent. Trick would be to locate one of those.

Grizz
I guess that could be a bit difficult but probably not impossible, however the funds is probably the biggest hurdle to leap! Don’t think my highbanker amd pan is gonna do much as far as ancient river beds go! Lol
Old 07-29-2019, 08:36 AM

Heading out this afternoon to do some test panning. On my walk to heritage ranch I noticed a ton of rusty gravel on the far bank! Gonna kayak over and see how it is. Anyone want to join, leave a message. Have an amazing day!
Old 01-05-2020, 08:21 AM

Default Can’t wait for spring

Been a bit since I checked into this site. Hope everyone is having a great year thus far! See you guys out on the banks this spring!