Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-05-2019, 12:28 PM

Default Blood Indian Carp Cup Charity Classic

Something to do this weekend

https://specialareas.ab.ca/2019/06/c...arity-classic/
Old 07-05-2019, 12:59 PM

That would be fun
Old 07-06-2019, 11:02 AM

To bad this was posted so late. I'd guess the brits posted at CFB Suffield would have been interested.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-06-2019, 05:33 PM

How does a person target Prussian carp?

I am familiar with Blood Indian and have seen pulling out a few but never had the interest as I am primarily out on the lake with a fly rod or ultra light. If this is a shore set up and cull it would be something a person could help out on.

Worms and bobbers in tight to weed banks?
Old 07-06-2019, 06:27 PM

Was there a few weeks ago. Landed over 50 on a fly rod from shore. Prince Nymph was the lucky fly.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Was there a few weeks ago. Landed over 50 on a fly rod from shore. Prince Nymph was the lucky fly.
How big do they get? Did you kill them?

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-06-2019, 08:19 PM

I hear the winners won by a margin of 230 fish!
Sounds like they were from a culture that eats that kind of fish, so they had catching them figured out.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I hear the winners won by a margin of 230 fish!
Sounds like they were from a culture that eats that kind of fish, so they had catching them figured out.
What are you saying?
Old 07-06-2019, 08:31 PM

Invasive derbies are a great idea. There should be a big carp cook off after the derby too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-06-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
What are you saying?
They were prussians.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
What are you saying?
You have a hard time with reading comprehension?
Old 07-06-2019, 08:38 PM

Default Carp

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7EyJkfg3q8sigFXTA

Killed all of them and threw them back to the feeding Pelicans.

Last edited by kinwahkly; 07-06-2019 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-07-2019, 08:27 AM

Default Derby winners

The gentlemen that won 1st in the group category did very well and we're very experienced catching carp. Myself and my buddy took 1st and 2nd in the individual category, i caught 26 myself and my buddy caught 27.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 AM

congrats
Old 07-07-2019, 02:05 PM

What’s the best way to fish for them without a fly rod? I’ll be going there in September and want to try to take a small dent out. I have a lot of success there fishing for trout, but have yet to catch a carp.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:06 PM

Anyone have the total weight of carp removed from the charity classic?
Old 07-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Default Carp rig

I use a Chinese stick float and a custom "spreader bar" that I make with a wire arm from a pickerel rig and a steel leader then attach 2 size 18 treble hooks and use corn, dough bait or maggots. Having your bait close to the bottom is key.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.4 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0722.jpg (41.3 KB, 182 views)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
You have a hard time with reading comprehension?
I don’t understand?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243dude View Post
I use a Chinese stick float and a custom "spreader bar" that I make with a wire arm from a pickerel rig and a steel leader then attach 2 size 18 treble hooks and use corn, dough bait or maggots. Having your bait close to the bottom is key.
I like the float. Halford Hides in Edmonton sometimes has African porcupine quills for sale. They work excellent for floats too.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/af...eces-quporcafr
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-08-2019, 04:23 PM

I thought I have to respond to this discussion as I was partly involved.
Fishing for carp is a very common sports in China, we have lots of competitions for it. (here I am referring to Prussian carps or likely type, not common carp)
I noticed this discussion, translated and forwarded to our fishing group on Friday afternoon.
As someone else said it was a bit late so only one group managed to be there (they didn't even know the place until 10pm on Friday night before I sent them a google pin)
We use a rod called "hand rod" and the line is in fixed length. This will help you always drop your hook into the exactly same spot and exact depth every time. We use a very sensitive float to feel the bites. As some of you may know, carps eat bait from below, so you actually see the float lift up rather than pull down. (of course, if it is fully hooked and carps start to swim away, you still see the float being pulled down).
The best place to find carps are approx. 3 feet of water, around the weed line.
Worms and corns are good for baiting carp.
Someone may ask why we keep carp.
The answer is we do cook them and eat them.
Maybe I will start another discussion to introduce how to cook them, but for now there is one simple way for everyone to try: Use carp for soup, just drink the soup and throw away the meat, in this way you don't need to worry about all the tiny bones.
My friends pulled 230lbs of carp from the lake on Saturday. Words spread and Sunday more groups showed up, probably pulling another 200+lbs carps from the lake. I'm pretty show you will see faces of Chinese showing up more and more often there.
If you have any local ponds, lakes, rivers has stocks of carp, PM me and I will help to send people in and empty it...lol
Old 07-08-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror View Post
I thought I have to respond to this discussion as I was partly involved.
Fishing for carp is a very common sports in China, we have lots of competitions for it. (here I am referring to Prussian carps or likely type, not common carp)
I noticed this discussion, translated and forwarded to our fishing group on Friday afternoon.
As someone else said it was a bit late so only one group managed to be there (they didn't even know the place until 10pm on Friday night before I sent them a google pin)
We use a rod called "hand rod" and the line is in fixed length. This will help you always drop your hook into the exactly same spot and exact depth every time. We use a very sensitive float to feel the bites. As some of you may know, carps eat bait from below, so you actually see the float lift up rather than pull down. (of course, if it is fully hooked and carps start to swim away, you still see the float being pulled down).
The best place to find carps are approx. 3 feet of water, around the weed line.
Worms and corns are good for baiting carp.
Someone may ask why we keep carp.
The answer is we do cook them and eat them.
Maybe I will start another discussion to introduce how to cook them, but for now there is one simple way for everyone to try: Use carp for soup, just drink the soup and throw away the meat, in this way you don't need to worry about all the tiny bones.
My friends pulled 230lbs of carp from the lake on Saturday. Words spread and Sunday more groups showed up, probably pulling another 200+lbs carps from the lake. I'm pretty show you will see faces of Chinese showing up more and more often there.
If you have any local ponds, lakes, rivers has stocks of carp, PM me and I will help to send people in and empty it...lol
Thanks for posting. Yes, please post other ways to cook them. Good to see people utilizing them for food! And no limits. Also will help control numbers of carp.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:54 PM

Default Just please don’t transplant carp!

Catching, killing and eating them is good, but an unintended consequence of the enthusiasm for doing that is creating motive for do it yourself stocking. That’s how they got here to begin with. It’s illegal to be in possession of live fish away from the water where they were caught.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:03 PM

My apologies for this hack..Sure would be nice.If someone with better pc skills,than me.Could post these tournament results.On the survey dealing with invasive species Thanks
Old 07-18-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243dude View Post
Wow, can't believe this would work for you, let alone I would never recommend that type of setup for prussian carp or any carp for that matter. That is insanely brutal/rough setup with trebble hooks and steal leader? You would think you are targeting pike and not carp!. Their mouth is tiny and lips are gentle, even with small hooks you lose some. I use 0.12-0.14 mm leaders at best and sometimes downsize to 0.10 if they are smaller size. And of course small hooks is the key.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Catching, killing and eating them is good, but an unintended consequence of the enthusiasm for doing that is creating motive for do it yourself stocking. That’s how they got here to begin with. It’s illegal to be in possession of live fish away from the water where they were caught.
Being in possession of any live fish is illegal but transporting an Aquatic Invasive species is a different, much more serious charge
Old 07-18-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Agree, please do not transplant. Even if you do not eat them - kill them, do not put back.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.