Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 07:42 PM

Default Anyone successful in getting airline compensation for flight delays from the EU

Looks like in the EU a delay of 3 hours departing an EU country for a trip longer than 3500 km is a €600 compensation payment.

Canada’s law coming in Dec.

Anyone have this happen to them and what was the outcome?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Banned

the rules of compensation on European flights Is significantly better then any protections we will ever have in Canada. The new tariff rules that are out now for canada are a step backwards.

If you ever need help with understanding your rights when travelling for maximizing any compensation you should use the facebook group air passenger traveller rights (canada).

You'd be surprised the types of compensation airlines are obligated to within canada or abroad.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:32 PM

Yep, delayed two days in London UK and got a $981 dollar cheque from westjet! They are obliged to pay a certain amount per day and they will cover over night accommodations.
Definitely nice to have some compensation!!

Last edited by Loz; 07-21-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Yep, delayed two days in London UK and got a $981 dollar cheque from westjet! They are obliged to pay a certain amount per day and they will cover over night accommodations.
Definitely nice to have some compensation!!
Did you have to fill out a form?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-21-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Did you have to fill out a form?
No, i just called westjet and they took the details and said they would issue the cheque within 6 weeks. It was surprisingly straight forward
Old 07-21-2019, 08:52 PM

I was delayed 24hrs leaving Barcelona due to a mechanical failure on an Air Canada plane. AC handled the accommodations and meals for the day, they put the whole plane up in a nice sea side resort. They handed everyone cards outlining your rights under the EU laws, I think most people didn’t bother to read the card or pursue it. We were entitled to €600 per person.

I wrote a strongly worded email to ACs compensation department in which I quoted the EU law and let them know I expected my compensation. They came back with an offer of $1800 per person flight credits on Air Canada valid for 1 year. I took the offer and ended up with free flights to Newfoundland with the credits. They also upgraded me to first class on the return leg of the trip which was pretty sweet.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I was delayed 24hrs leaving Barcelona due to a mechanical failure on an Air Canada plane. AC handled the accommodations and meals for the day, they put the whole plane up in a nice sea side resort. They handed everyone cards outlining your rights under the EU laws, I think most people didn’t bother to read the card or pursue it. We were entitled to €600 per person.

I wrote a strongly worded email to ACs compensation department in which I quoted the EU law and let them know I expected my compensation. They came back with an offer of $1800 per person flight credits on Air Canada valid for 1 year. I took the offer and ended up with free flights to Newfoundland with the credits. They also upgraded me to first class on the return leg of the trip which was pretty sweet.
Nice.

Cash for me is king. Vouchers for flights can be lost in life’s circumstances.

We’ll see what happens.