Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: 3wt or 4wt for southern Alberta Cutthroat
3wt 27 28.13%
4wt 69 71.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2019, 10:32 PM

Default 3wt or 4wt for Southern Alberta/BC Cutthroat?

I have a few trips planned for Southern Alberta/BC Livingston, Oldman Crowsnest , Elk etc.
I want to get as new rod and can’t decide between a 3wt or 4wt what would you buy?
Old 03-12-2019, 02:52 AM

The 3wt is super fun. Cutties are not the biggest fighters, so backbone is not really critical.

But the wind. Oh sweet penelope, the wind can be insane. There has been a couple of times that I have put my 4wt away and used a 6wt. I know some people who can struggle through a 3wt, but it is funny seeing people double haul with a 3wt rod.

But if you already have a 5wt, a 3wt is a good way to round out your quiver. Personally, I am a 4-6-8wt kinda guy. For those windy days, you can just pull out a 5wt.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:29 AM

I usually take both the 3 and the 5wt just in case its real windy. The 3 is my goto tho for cutties , its only downfall is that its only 6'6" so the wind can really be a factor especially on bigger water or the more open stretches. I adore it tho ,wouldnt want to fish cutties without it
Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 AM

I would go for a 3wt but if possible, get a longer one. I have a 7' 6" 3wt that is great but as mentioned before, the wind can pick up and the little extra leverage from a longer rod would help out at times.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Suspended User

4 weight with 6 weight line to power though the wind. Change spools if its a still day.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:56 PM

I have a 8 ft - 4 wt that I am reasonably happy with although, because of the wind, I would get an 8ft - 6in if I had to buy another. I am also going to try MrDave's approach of over-lining it with a 5 or 6 wt line this year. The 4 wt does handle the bigger Cuts but, primarily because of the wind, by the middle of Sept , I switch to my 5 wt for Oldman, Livingstone and Crowsnest.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Sage made the One in a 9' 3wt, and it was likely the nicest cutthroat/small stream rod I've ever had. Wish i hadn't sold it
Old 03-12-2019, 09:51 PM

I'm living back in BC (cranbrook at the moment) and have only used a 2/3wt rods for cutties going on four years now (lakes and rivers). I would only think of pulling the 4wt out if I was on a large river system with no boat. Nothing beats mountain streams and a 7-8ft 3wt.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:29 AM

A 3 wt 9' will have the back bone to toss bullet head streamers and cut through the wind with smaller flies.
I use a 490 almost exclusively for troots but I'm chucking streamers most of the time
Old 03-15-2019, 11:06 AM

A shorter (7'6" - 8") 3wt is great in the Race Horse Creek, Livingstone R. and the upper Oldman River (upstream of the Fire base). But as others have said, there's often too much wind below, especially near the confluence with Race Horse Cr. and just below at 'The Gap'. Would a longer 3wt make a difference? I'm not so sure - fish are much larger at and below the Gap and reach 20+ inches. IMO 3wt takes too long to land a 19"+ cutt. I would say 4wt minimum and preferably 5wt lower down in the Oldman R.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:32 PM
Banned

One word for down here.....WIND!
Definately four, if not heavier, plus you may latch on to a bull inadvertently..........
Old 03-17-2019, 01:06 PM

Default Its all about throw weight.

What weight of flies or wind resistance of flies do you intend to cast.
Increasing both requires heavier lines.
Five or perhaps 6 weight maybe needed.

Don
Old 03-18-2019, 06:01 AM

https://www.ginkandgasoline.com/blog/
Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 AM

If you will be bringing only one rod to the streams, I would bring a good 4 wt rod that will do dry, nymph, and streamers.
I have nice brand new set up for sale at good deal that I have never used.
It was just a part of my collection.
Sage Accel 4wt 8' 6" 4pc with Sage 2200 Series real with AirFlo lines on it.
Pm me if you are interested.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 AM

Imho a 4wt is slightly more versatile for various conditions(wind/bigger water/larger flies/weighted flies etc) and plenty sporting feel for pan size trout thru to 20”ers......heck when I started flyfishing 35+ years ago I had ONE flyrod,a 7wt 8’6” Fenwick Eagle that I used for everything from Atlantic Salmon to Great Lakes Steelhead to pan size brookies to trolling streamers for ice out Lakers and landlocked Atlantics....yes I was overgunned for the brookies but had a blast regardless.
That said,I can’t think of any legit reason to buy a 3wt over a 4wt unless you just want to witness 8” trout put a deep bend in’er?
Also agree with previous suggestions of overlining the rod by a line weight or 2...not just for wind,but for tiny streams it helps load the rod when you are fishing a short line wether false casting or roll casting...wutever...ie;your 4wt rod is designed to load with 30’ of 4wt line beyond the tip.
Fishing short on small streams it’s rare that you will ever have more then 20’ of flyline beyond the tip...overlining compensates for this.
Also imho there is zero benefit to buying relatively short flyrods;ie;6’6”-7’6” 3wts etc.
Granted,yes they are marketed as small stream/brush choked/Creek rods.....I’ve fallen for the marketing hype as well in years past....but it’s been my experience that I much prefer 8’ minimum and even 9 footers on the tiniest of creeks.Ive found on these tiny creeks I’m rarely ever actually casting anyhow other then a short roll cast,and often as not I’m merely “reaching” to swing a bugger/streamer/flymph,or dapping a dry etc.The longer rod I’ve found gives me much better reach to manipulate presentation and mending.The only advantage I’ve e er found to sub 8’ flyrods is a bit easier bushwhacking without takking the rod down/zero advantage and actually a hinderance when it comes to actual fishing and presentation imho.....I no longer own any flyrods <8’.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Imho a 4wt is slightly more versatile for various conditions(wind/bigger water/larger flies/weighted flies etc) and plenty sporting feel for pan size trout thru to 20”ers......heck when I started flyfishing 35+ years ago I had ONE flyrod,a 7wt 8’6” Fenwick Eagle that I used for everything from Atlantic Salmon to Great Lakes Steelhead to pan size brookies to trolling streamers for ice out Lakers and landlocked Atlantics....yes I was overgunned for the brookies but had a blast regardless.
That said,I can’t think of any legit reason to buy a 3wt over a 4wt unless you just want to witness 8” trout put a deep bend in’er?
Also agree with previous suggestions of overlining the rod by a line weight or 2...not just for wind,but for tiny streams it helps load the rod when you are fishing a short line wether false casting or roll casting...wutever...ie;your 4wt rod is designed to load with 30’ of 4wt line beyond the tip.
Fishing short on small streams it’s rare that you will ever have more then 20’ of flyline beyond the tip...overlining compensates for this.
Also imho there is zero benefit to buying relatively short flyrods;ie;6’6”-7’6” 3wts etc.
Granted,yes they are marketed as small stream/brush choked/Creek rods.....I’ve fallen for the marketing hype as well in years past....but it’s been my experience that I much prefer 8’ minimum and even 9 footers on the tiniest of creeks.Ive found on these tiny creeks I’m rarely ever actually casting anyhow other then a short roll cast,and often as not I’m merely “reaching” to swing a bugger/streamer/flymph,or dapping a dry etc.The longer rod I’ve found gives me much better reach to manipulate presentation and mending.The only advantage I’ve e er found to sub 8’ flyrods is a bit easier bushwhacking without takking the rod down/zero advantage and actually a hinderance when it comes to actual fishing and presentation imho.....I no longer own any flyrods <8’.
I absolutely agree with going with the longer rods. I got a 3 wt 6'6" rod and thought it would be great for all of the small tight little creeks I fish from time to time and it would allow me to make some cool casts it tight spaces at times but it was so rare that it was an advantage, I ended up selling it. The disadvantages are too many with a short rod and I only own 8' + rods now.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstream View Post
If you will be bringing only one rod to the streams, I would bring a good 4 wt rod that will do dry, nymph, and streamers.
I have nice brand new set up for sale at good deal that I have never used.
It was just a part of my collection.
Sage Accel 4wt 8' 6" 4pc with Sage 2200 Series real with AirFlo lines on it.
Pm me if you are interested.
I have this exact rod, love it, and the Sage Accel series are all great casting tools. Sadly discontinued by Sage a couple years ago. This would be a all round great choice for the streams the OP mentioned.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:56 AM

Default Accel 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohod View Post
I have a few trips planned for Southern Alberta/BC Livingston, Oldman Crowsnest , Elk etc.
I want to get as new rod and can’t decide between a 3wt or 4wt what would you buy?
I have one to sell, if interested. Still in great shape. It’s a great rod for the rivers your talking about.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the response everyone, I went with an 8’6’” 4wt… looking forward to those reckless cutthroat takes!