Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2021, 05:04 AM

Oh I got a chance yesterday and I blew it. After that I got stuck dealing with things at home. Things started out great this season but the last 3 days not so much

Today is my birthday and I have gone hunting on my birthday almost every year. I have yet to fill a tag on my birthday too.

So let’s see if I can change that
Old 11-18-2021, 06:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Well happy birthday....after you shoot a cranker make sure you put your teeth back in for the pic’s.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-18-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well happy birthday....after you shoot a cranker make sure you put your teeth back in for the pic’s.....
I just went grey early so I look older then I am

Today’s my 40th I maybe a little over the hill now but still have some time before I am a toothless old geezer

When I reach that stage I will send you a PM so you can let me know where to get the best deal on the first set of dentures and a good hunting cane old man
Old 11-18-2021, 07:03 AM

Today’s the day. I’m feelin it for ya. Happy birthday and happy hunting. Go get em
Old 11-18-2021, 09:54 AM

The downside to cellular cams they tell you when you are in the wrong spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2021, 09:57 AM

Yep, that’s a thing. Hope you have an awesome birthday and are rewarded with a nice buck.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:14 AM

Happy Birthday! Its gunna all come together for you today.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
The downside to cellular cams they tell you when you are in the wrong spot

Haha. That’s true. Especially when they tell you that the buck you have been after for a couple of years walked by where you were waiting for it for a while 10 minutes after you left and that is the last time that buck to be seen by you. As was my case, lol.

Happy birthday and good luck!
Old 11-18-2021, 10:53 AM

Oh that guy walking by well I am not there I can just laugh about

Missing this guy yesterday not so much. I am a lefty and the stand was set for my buddy who is right handed I should have spun the stand before sitting in it. Came in on my weak side

Old 11-18-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Oh that guy walking by well I am not there I can just laugh about

Missing this guy yesterday not so much. I am a lefty and the stand was set for my buddy who is right handed I should have spun the stand before sitting in it. Came in on my weak side

That sucks, at least you know he is still out there.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:45 PM

Well it was a slow day passed on a small 10pt in the morning and then nothing

Decided since I was in the supplemental zone I would come out early and look for a doe at last light. Wife has been bugging that she wants more meat in the house. Spotted a deer off of a lease at 100yards. Pulled up on it to see it was a little buck. Brought the rifle back down put 2 more in the tube and it still had not moved

Decided screw it I have never filled a tag on my birthday and I only have a few days left to hunt. It was just too easy and I got hungry

So not the climatic ending everyone was looking for but I did take my birthday buck. 100yards with the 30-30 and he tipped over on the spot

Old 11-18-2021, 05:46 PM

The scouting for next season starts as this season ends
Old 11-18-2021, 05:52 PM

Congrats on the birthday buck. I too settled for something smaller than I hoped, but that’s the way life goes… just never know what your going to see later on.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

Decided since I was in the supplemental zone I would come out early and look for a doe at last light. Wife has been bugging that she wants more meat in the house. Spotted a deer off of a lease at 100yards. Pulled up on it to see it was a little buck. Brought the rifle back down put 2 more in the tube and it still had not moved

Decided screw it I have never filled a tag on my birthday and I only have a few days left to hunt. It was just too easy and I got hungry

So not the climatic ending everyone was looking for but I did take my birthday buck. 100yards with the 30-30 and he tipped over on the spot

The look on that buck's face looks like he was shocked you were there! A fine eater he will be.

I learned a lot reading your thread

Happy birthday, wishing you many more!

Cheers - N40
Old 11-18-2021, 06:24 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Pepperoni buck!

Good eats!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-18-2021, 06:29 PM

Thanks to all your help on this thread Smokybuck I managed to seal the deal today, right in my ambush point. Thanks again for the awesome thread. Can’t wait to see what next year holds in store for you!!!

Old 11-18-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
Congrats on the birthday buck. I too settled for something smaller than I hoped, but that’s the way life goes… just never know what your going to see later on.
Honestly in that moment I just felt it was the deer to shoot even though it’s the smallest one I have seen this year. I don’t view it as settling and enjoyed my season either way

Some won’t understand how I can keep passing on bucks and be fine shooting the little guy but it’s the hunt I enjoy most

I also know I still had a decent chance on one of the big guys
Old 11-18-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
Thanks to all your help on this thread Smokybuck I managed to seal the deal today, right in my ambush point. Thanks again for the awesome thread. Can’t wait to see what next year holds in store for you!!!

Congrats on a nice buck
Old 11-18-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post

That’s a dandy buck! Congrats!

Smokey congrats on the bday buck, it’s always nice when it isn’t complicated. And hey, who wouldn’t mind a buck on their bday? Provided their bday is in hunting season.

I’m going to try some of these tactics my next time out. It’s been a great thread to follow and I have learnt a lot from it. Thanks for posting this, I hope you do it again next year.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:59 PM

I just got off the phone with one of my buddies who came out hunting this year and looks like he is coming house shopping this winter

I got him into hunting about 17years ago and he hunts the same style so the future seasons may get interesting
Old 11-18-2021, 07:28 PM

Nothing wrong with meat in the freezer congrats on a fruitful season.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:34 PM

It’s good to see this thread has given some people information on bush hunting whitetail. Those who choose to truly pursue this style of hunting will find its a never ending learning process. I am already planning adjustments to next season

The fact of the matter is there is bucks that live like phantoms in the bush that go unseen. I may not have tagged one of the big guys but I think you guys have seen enough pics to realize quality deer can be found in the bush. I will bet that majority if not all the bucks I left in the bush this season will survive hunting season too

Iceberg

I am glad you could utilize information you have found in this thread to help tag a fine buck. If this is a new style of hunting for you keep at it and look for the trends in your area. There is a ton of information missing in this thread too
Old 11-18-2021, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
It’s good to see this thread has given some people information on bush hunting whitetail. Those who choose to truly pursue this style of hunting will find its a never ending learning process. I am already planning adjustments to next season

The fact of the matter is there is bucks that live like phantoms in the bush that go unseen. I may not have tagged one of the big guys but I think you guys have seen enough pics to realize quality deer can be found in the bush. I will bet that majority if not all the bucks I left in the bush this season will survive hunting season too

Iceberg

I am glad you could utilize information you have found in this thread to help tag a fine buck. If this is a new style of hunting for you keep at it and look for the trends in your area. There is a ton of information missing in this thread too
Thanks to you Smoky buck for this thread Full of excellent tips
Old 11-18-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Congrats smoky. I find it so cool how many people you have motivated to hunt with this awesome ambush style. Putting in the work to get good opportunity’s at big deer.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:11 PM

I think it’s awesome you got a buck on your birthday. I hope you do some sort of neat mount with a birthday candle or two, somehow it makes a ordinary 2 point something special. I think that’s cool.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:34 PM

Well done, Smoky! Great thread that I read every single post in and there aren’t many where I do that.

And you left them grow another year

P. S. If I shoot a moose with antlers just like that before lights out on Novemenr 30, I will be a happy man.

Edit: and you at least motivated Iceberg, who did a good job taking a fine deer. Congrats to him as well.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:34 PM

Best thread in the hunting section this year. Thanks and happy birthday. If you could elaborate a bit on your calling techniques that would be great.
Cheers.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Best thread in the hunting section this year. Thanks and happy birthday. If you could elaborate a bit on your calling techniques that would be great.
Cheers.
My calling techniques umm I go into the bushes and make noise

The most important thing when calling is location. The fact of the matter is you won’t call in a buck if he is not within ear shot. Rattling carries long range but a lot of the other calls I use don’t have a lot of range. Add wind or any other background noise and the range is even shorter.

Outside of rattling I view my bleats and grunts as most effective at distances of under 200yards and more like under 100yards

The calls used this season

Rattling was both antlers and rattle bags. Time and time again the antlers seem to out produce the rattle bag. They are just more versatile tone wise and duplicating the sounds of buck locked up. You can also rack the bush or ground. If I am on the ground I even thump the on the ground to make it sound like stomping hooves. Don’t just bash them together and try to make noise but instead visualize what two bucks would be doing. The fact I can visualize what I am doing with antlers vs a rattle bag I feel is a big part of why I find them more effective

I always get asked how long and how often to rattle well I really don’t know :sHa_sarcasticlol. Everyone in my group does it slightly different. The main thing don’t over do it. Take time to listen and look so give small breaks. I run 2-4 sets with 5-15min pauses and 20min to hour long breaks. Really I just go with what feels right. You are way more likely to scare off bucks by over calling vs under calling. Some bucks are shy especially some mature bucks. Yes a portion of bucks come in aggressive but most I think are just curious

Rattling is best during the first half of the season but works all season. The myth you need to use big antlers to call mature bucks. I can call in big bucks with a set of forks. My personal set is a 3pt blacktail antler and a small 4pt mule deer antler. I prefer the configuration of mule deer antlers over whitetail antlers because I don’t hit my hands as much

Estrus bleats (can call) are a great non aggressive call. I actually carry more then one do to different tones. Really it’s supposed to be a ****ty doe talking. What would get your attention more a woman when talking dirty saying the same word over and over or saying full sentences. Just like people some bucks are not as easily excited as others and some just need one dirty word

The can calls we use are made by primos and hunter specialties. They come in different sizes creating different tones and length of bleat. I carry 2-3 and rotate through them as I call. I use anywhere from 1-6 bleats at a time randomly spaced out. If I hear a deer walking I call to them to get their attention too

Estrus bleats are best starting after the first week of November and truly shine once the bucks start cruising. They seem to scare does and part of the reason we often see majority bucks well on stand

The communication bleat is a less common call we use. It is not for drawing in deer but comes in handy to get them to step out those last few steps. This works on all deer too. It is great for short range call when a deer hands up for long periods. It is also great to calm a deer that startles that doesn’t really know what you are. This is great for deer that bust you do to noise but only go a short distance. It can bring back a deer for a second look

This call work year round

The one we use are the deer stopper and Kmeer deer. They can be a real pain to find so expect to search on the internet and order them. I don’t see them in stores often

The grunt call is a double edged sword in my opinion and I have a love hate relationship with it. It can bring in a buck or blow him right out. In my opinion don’t over use it and don’t get aggressive with it unless it’s last resort . Yes some bucks you can can get them angry with with a grunt call and they will storm in for a fight. In my opinion only a small portion of bucks are aggressive and a lot of big bucks are actually cautious/non confrontational. So be careful with a grunt call. I will get aggressive with a buck if he is pacing in the bush showing aggressive traits or I feel I have run out of options

The main way I use a grunt call is in combination with the estrus bleat using tending grunts. This is a non aggressive way of using a grunt that can get another buck competitive. Now instead of challenging him to a fight you are making him jealous and giving him a reason to come push of the other buck. Be sure to vary your tones so you sound realistic. You don’t want to sound like a big tough guy but more so a buck he can bully

YouTube tending grunts that actually deer are doing not some dude telling you how to call. Listen to it and duplicate it

I will call to deer I hear walking through the area but can’t see

The grunt call I swear by is the true talker. It is made with rubber and wood giving a natural sound. I have tried so many plastic grunt calls that just sound off or even scare deer. The true talker also gives you the ability to easily change tones just by pushing on the reed. I have a primose grunt as well and it works but lacks the ability to easily adjust tones on the fly

Mid to late November seems to be the best timing

The best way to get good at calling is get out and do it. Try different routines pay attention to how the bucks react and learn how to read their personality type. I vary my calling depending on if I feel if it is an aggressive or shy buck

Don’t ask how I determine if the buck is aggressive or shy it’s really a guess to do with how they are coming in. There is a reason I usually teach people how to call by having them sit with me

The more you play with it the better you get. So that’s it that’s what you get now get out there and figure it out

Oh use your ears they often sneak in like ninjas. I don’t even know how many times I see or hear nothing and next thing I know there is a buck 20yards away

Last edited by Smoky buck; 11-19-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:47 AM

Congrats on the birthday buck Smoky!
Old 11-19-2021, 09:45 AM

Default Ambush style bush bucks 2021

Congrats Smoky! Glad you sealed the deal in that one.

Had one come in on my weak side last night. Decent 3x3, but holding out for a bigger one. Would have had to move a lot to make a clean shot.

Nice morning today.

I am set up a bit too close to the road normally not
A big issue, as this place is very out-of-the-way.

Road hunters just drive back and forth , maybe once or twice a day at most.

Have a persistent one this morning. Stops, slams door, and begins a series of the most awkward rattling that I’ve ever heard. Like a mix of castanets, tap dancing and like he’s hammering a nail with a chunk of pvc. I wonder if that has ever worked for him? I’m honestly curious.

I’ll sit up here until he’s gone.