Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator

It should also be noted that the removal of fish and game clubs from the former telephone game harvest survey was because of privacy issues (FOIP) and a lack of volunteers. Many areas of the province were lacking in survey information because of this.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 PM

I must say I am really happy with the online licencing system. No long lineups, no waiting on the phone for hours on end trying to submit draw applications(I've never personally had to do this but my dad has. . .haha), everything is in english so there's no miscommunication, there's no extra charge to reprint your fishing licence or wildlife certificate, you know exactly what you are getting when you pay the bill unlike at most local retailers, you can see your draws, draw results and priorities at any time.
As for the local retailers, I do agree it's crumby that they have to pay for the machine and supplies to run it, however it is their choice to provide that product and service to their client base.
I always ended up going to Canadian Tire for licences and the system was set up in the key cutting department, so it's not as if the store had to hire someone specifically for selling tags and licences, they did key cutting and general sales as well. For the phone lines and internet, we added one phone line at work through Shaw and the only extra costs incured are $35/month to use the phone line, no instillation fees, highspeed internet is $52.95/month and with most interac machines now the internet is a requirement so that would more then likely already be installed. Bank fees on interac purchases usually are under 2% per transaction, lowest for debit cards, most for AMEX cards, mind you the banks charge businesses to do deposits at the bank as well so either way you're paying bank fees, government fees, taxes, just-for-the-hell-of-it-fees. . .so on and so forth. And such is the cost of doing business!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
It should also be noted that the removal of fish and game clubs from the former telephone game harvest survey was because of privacy issues (FOIP) and a lack of volunteers. Many areas of the province were lacking in survey information because of this.
They only paid 50 cents for each correctly completed survey. Our club used to do these surveys and spent countless hours on the phone. After a month of many members phoning around the club would make $200 - $300 for that work. Many of those phone calls were long distance that members ended up paying out of pocket. We certainly didn't do this as a fundraiser for the club, but only to help out in wildlife management but it got to be too much so we quit. Many of these phone calls ended up with abuse directed toward the person conducting the survey as many dissastified with SRD policies and management would take their anger out on volunteers.