Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Default yote hunting question

To all the yote hunters. I do understand those things are overpopulated but what do you do with all of them when you shoot em? Did you have to get over how much they look like a dog at first? Just wondering not judging, shoot em up as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Nope no "doggy remorse" here.

But I have never shot a fox...even when they used to steal chickens off the farm. They always seemed to have to much curiosity and tolerance of us.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 PM

I skin them out and sell the fur. As for the dog question, guess I never thought of it that way as I've been shooting them all my life. But then again I don't really have a problem shooting dogs either though(only the bad ones).
Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 PM

I know what you mean Mike, foxes are really neat animals. Had one sniff my boot while scouting after dark about 10 years ago. will never forget that little guy.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 AM

I don't shoot foxes myself I enjoy seing them they are pretty neat animals and do alot with the mouse population. Coyotes I shoot and give to people that skin them and sell them. We have lost quite a few freindly cats at our farm to coyotes so I show no remorse when shooting them.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 AM

I bought my first .17 HMR in late 2002 and after the snow left I set out to lower the p'dog population in the south pasture.

Our yard is 1/2 mile off the n/s township road which has steeply cut sandy banks and provides great denning habitat for foxes.

The north side of the driveway is a slough surrounded by low willows. (lots of mice lots of ducks/snipes/blackbirds.)

While on my quest to trim the p'dogs down I noticed a momma fox would watch me patiently from about 200yds away and after I left would trot out and salvage "targets".

After a week or 2 by the 3rd shot she would come and sit down 10 yds away and scan for the inevitable "flintstone flop" then run out grab a Pd and hoof it back to the den.

This went on all summer.

Next spring it was a given but 1 out of her 5 pups was a bit smarter than the rest and would not run but instead would approach the truck when I entered the driveway after work with its momma to recieve my lunch left overs.

When I went out shooting momma would stay 10 yds away and the pup would lay 5 yds away and gnaw on a p'dog while momma would run them back to the other pups.

Every evening I came home those 2 would be at the end of the driveway waiting for left overs or the milk bones in the ziploc I kept in the console.

The pup was very tolerant and unafraid of humans and would eat out of my hand.

Last edited by IR_mike; 01-14-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:42 AM

Default .

Some people will feel remorse on shooting them because they resemble a dog but all you have to remember is if the coyote had a chance he would kill your dog or cat. iv had some experience in a bush when the coyote wont run and just snarls and growls they are not like a puppy
Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Banned

Some of the studies done by groups like Ducks Unlimited have shown that one of the biggest benefits to having a healthy coyote population is that they would keep the foxes under control. There is no predator that has a more significant effect on duck and grouse populations than the fox. They are very efficient nest predators.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:45 PM

I feel the same way about badgers. I like the little guys but im not a land owner Foxes on the other hand are very hard on upland and all birds for that matter and have noticed many foxes and a serious decrease in pheasants. Will shoot foxes and yotees on sight.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
I bought my first .17 HMR in late 2002 and after the snow left I set out to lower the p'dog population in the south pasture.

Our yard is 1/2 mile off the n/s township road which has steeply cut sandy banks and provides great denning habitat for foxes.

The north side of the driveway is a slough surrounded by low willows. (lots of mice lots of ducks/snipes/blackbirds.)

While on my quest to trim the p'dogs down I noticed a momma fox would watch me patiently from about 200yds away and after I left would trot out and salvage "targets".

After a week or 2 by the 3rd shot she would come and sit down 10 yds away and scan for the inevitable "flintstone flop" then run out grab a Pd and hoof it back to the den.

This went on all summer.

Next spring it was a given but 1 out of her 5 pups was a bit smarter than the rest and would not run but instead would approach the truck when I entered the driveway after work with its momma to recieve my lunch left overs.

When I went out shooting momma would stay 10 yds away and the pup would lay 5 yds away and gnaw on a p'dog while momma would run them back to the other pups.

Every evening I came home those 2 would be at the end of the driveway waiting for left overs or the milk bones in the ziploc I kept in the console.

The pup was very tolerant and unafraid of humans and would eat out of my hand.

Very neat story... wish i could come "feed" your pet foxes this spring
Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 AM

I am a fox fan. Unless one was here on the farm causing trouble, I leave them be. They have done a fantastic job controlling the gropher population here.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_fool1 View Post
Very neat story... wish i could come "feed" your pet foxes this spring
Whether its due to the increase of and competition from coyotes in the area or a different factor, I have not seen a fox since early last spring.

But I am sure they will be back.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 AM

The coyotes have taken a coouple of my GF cats in the past month or so. I thought it would be the fox that is hanging around. One evening I went outside and saw the cats eating. One looked different. Much bigger. I turned on the outside light to find the fox eating along side of the cats. I guess he doesn't have to eat the cats if there is easier food. LOL
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose6 View Post
To all the yote hunters. I do understand those things are overpopulated but what do you do with all of them when you shoot em? Did you have to get over how much they look like a dog at first? Just wondering not judging, shoot em up as far as I'm concerned.
I had that same feeling myself about 10 years ago then I moved out to our farm and when i watched what these coyotes did to our pets,deer,pheasants and the fear of what they could do to our small children my mind was changed in a quick hurry. As for what i do with them after they make for some good magpie shooting.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:37 PM

I do hate the guys myself and would have no remorse over a dead yote, was just wondering if the fist time felt wierd having a dog looking thing in the crosshairs. I hate having to worry about my friendly lab when out in the bush, I know she would try to go and play. It was just a though is all. I also never thought there would be much interest out there for their fur.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose6 View Post
I do hate the guys myself and would have no remorse over a dead yote, was just wondering if the fist time felt wierd having a dog looking thing in the crosshairs. I hate having to worry about my friendly lab when out in the bush, I know she would try to go and play. It was just a though is all. I also never thought there would be much interest out there for their fur.
Here is a test that will define the difference between the your lab and a coyote. Play with the lab and notice any smell that comes from it. Next, go shoot a coyote and pretending that it is still alive and without getting too much blood on yourself, play with it noticing the smell again. Compare the two and you will have no problem shooting coyotes.

They are remarkable animals but dont confuse them with your dog. I would be like having a problem shooting a moose because you rode in on a horse.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Here is a test that will define the difference between the your lab and a coyote. Play with the lab and notice any smell that comes from it. Next, go shoot a coyote and pretending that it is still alive and without getting too much blood on yourself, play with it noticing the smell again. Compare the two and you will have no problem shooting coyotes.

They are remarkable animals but dont confuse them with your dog. I would be like having a problem shooting a moose because you rode in on a horse.
OH OH now you have just a whole new thread
Old 01-15-2010, 08:56 PM

deer hunter!
your statement also goes for hunting Zebra, but not a horse?

icoyotes-i shoot some..i leave some run! its all about whats happening then!

foxes--kill'm all, the hun population is finally sustaining afters decades of virtual extinction here in zone 222.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
deer hunter!
your statement also goes for hunting Zebra, but not a horse?

icoyotes-i shoot some..i leave some run! its all about whats happening then!

foxes--kill'm all, the hun population is finally sustaining afters decades of virtual extinction here in zone 222.
isnt it illegal to shoot foxes? im really not sure. We dont have to many up here, more nowadays, Lots of blue phase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fox.jpg (45.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-15-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
isnt it illegal to shoot foxes?
my memory recalls something to the effect, that it can be hunted but not trapped at all times of the year on private land. considered vermin, same as wolf, coyote, bear, quad thiefs.

ive seen a blue one when in the manning area, very cool!
would like a tanned one of those, just for gits and shiggles

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31