Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roer.die.ontlasting View Post
No I do not think it is right. So here is my simple solution to this issue. The landowner says no Mr. Outfitter you cannot hunt on my land.

Roer
Good point. And it's just a simple step from there to say no, Joe Public, you cannot hunt on my land either.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Tonto;482044]It is minor if you live southeast of me, as there is still no sunday hunting. I have relations that live south of Brooks. How does sunday hunting help the majority of them?

I have no kids and my 14th birthday was a long time ago so the reduction in age had no bearing on me but I still lobbied for it and applauded it when it came to be. We have no Sunday hunting in the majotrity of the mountain areas that hunt either but I see the expansion of Sunday hunting as a great thing for Alberta hunters in general. Sometimes you have to look past what's good for you and look at what's good for the fraternity of hunters. Sadly, it seems many have a hard time doing that. In fairness, an extra hunting day was added to southern zones as well. While some people wanted Sunday, they still gained a day. Sees like a good thing to me...even though it doesn't benefit me....
Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I have no kids and my 14th birthday was a long time ago so the reduction in age had no bearing on me but I still lobbied for it and applauded it when it came to be. We have no Sunday hunting in the majotrity of the mountain areas that hunt either but I see the expansion of Sunday hunting as a great thing for Alberta hunters in general. Sometimes you have to look past what's good for you and look at what's good for the fraternity of hunters. Sadly, it seems many have a hard time doing that. In fairness, an extra hunting day was added to southern zones as well. While some people wanted Sunday, they still gained a day. Sees like a good thing to me...even though it doesn't benefit me....
I don't know what not having kids or being 14 has to do with what you quoted.
I agree sunday hunting is good for hunters in general. Never said it wasn't. Just said it was a minor change for some. In fairness an extra day was added on for those that don't have mon-fri jobs. Again good for some, minor to a lot more.
Maybe putting sheep on a draw would be a good thing for the fraternity of hunters, Would you support putting sheep on a draw if it was best for the fraternity?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Maybe putting sheep on a draw would be a good thing for the fraternity of hunters, Would you support putting sheep on a draw if it was best for the fraternity?
Most definitely.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Banned

This really isn't a discussion that will be of much fruit, but the expansion of Sunday Hunting across the province was not a brainwave of a forward thinking minister or a sudden revelation. It is the result of a continual progression over time by individual municipalities on the fringes of the green zone and beyond. It was a pretty easy carrot to toss for someone looking for political brownie points.

Sunday hunting has nearly doubled my hunting opportunities - but whether it is worth the double edged sword remains to be seen. A different topic than this thread.

Certainly one must wonder about a portfolio that has been historically stagnant that sees such a flurry of activity with a minister with visions of grandeur, a very strong Capitalist bias and a hole to climb out of.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Good point. And it's just a simple step from there to say no, Joe Public, you cannot hunt on my land either.
...and that would be the right of any private landowner.

The point has more to do with the landowner denying access to an outfitter that wishes to profit from his land and permission to access it, not in denying access to all hunters.

They are not one and the same.

Waxy
Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
This really isn't a discussion that will be of much fruit, but the expansion of Sunday Hunting across the province was not a brainwave of a forward thinking minister or a sudden revelation. It is the result of a continual progression over time by individual municipalities on the fringes of the green zone and beyond. It was a pretty easy carrot to toss for someone looking for political brownie points.

Sunday hunting has nearly doubled my hunting opportunities - but whether it is worth the double edged sword remains to be seen. A different topic than this thread.

Certainly one must wonder about a portfolio that has been historically stagnant that sees such a flurry of activity with a minister with visions of grandeur, a very strong Capitalist bias and a hole to climb out of.
X2.

IMHO, it's kinda like giving credit to the weatherman because it's sunny outside.

It was due to years of hard work by all kinds of people and organizations that Sunday hunting, age revisions, the Hunting Heritage Act, online licensing, etc... became a reality, not because Morton waived his magic wand.

Sadly, all of that good is entirely cancelled out by Morton's desire to commercialize wildlife and bring paid hunting to Alberta, in spite of the overwhelming opposition of Alberta's outdoorsmen, the very people he was supposed to represent.

That will be his legacy...

Waxy
Old 01-15-2010, 11:23 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
It was due to years of hard work by all kinds of people and organizations that Sunday hunting, age revisions, the Hunting Heritage Act, online licensing, etc... became a reality, not because Morton waived his magic wand.
At least Morton made all that hard work finally come to fruition. Few of the other ministers seem to really give a darn. Any of his predecessors could have done the same thing but chose not to. I applaud what he did in regards to the items I listed above. He took a lot of heat for some of it.

Quote:
Sadly, all of that good is entirely cancelled out by Morton's desire to commercialize wildlife and bring paid hunting to Alberta, in spite of the overwhelming opposition of Alberta's outdoorsmen, the very people he was supposed to represent.

That will be his legacy...
I'm really not sure that one cancells the other. We have the gains but it is sad that RAMP will be his ultimate legacy. Has anyone got an answer back from Knight yet as to what his thoughts on RAMP are?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

Default Morton warns Alberta's spending 'buffet' coming to an end

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Mo...782/story.html

Wonder if he'll start with RAMP?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
LOL...that would be a bit ironic wouldn't it but then I always love a good bit of irony.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...that would be a bit ironic wouldn't it but then I always love a good bit of irony.
AUPE is complaining that they have already been squeezed. Imagine the press you would get it the Alberta civil servant gets cut because of the budget tightening and yet SRD is stroking cheques to the RAMP hutterites...

It's funny when politics comes back around to bite.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Its funny on the list of achievements and discussions no-one has mentioned the Alberta Land Stewardship Act (ALSA) and the Land Use Framework. This is an extremely powerful bit of legislation that virtually all other existing acts (Forests, Mines and Minerals, Parks, Municipal) will be forced to comply with.

I don't agree with everything that Morton has done, but this legislation is one of the most significant we have seen in Alberta in the Tories 40 + years in power.

Compared to the benefit ALSA will have for habitat and hunters (and the requirement to actually plan for the kind of future Alberta we want), the Sunday Hunting and RAMP pilots are minor.

I also agree with those posters if you are happy Morton is gone, be careful, he has been promoted. I predict he will be Premier within 18 months.