Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 PM

Moose. No question. The nasal cavity is considerably larger than elk or caribou. Too "robust" to be a caribou as well. Being a yearling bull though, the skull is relatively short yet compared to a mature moose. Oh, and those INCISORS, are the teeth on the front of the lower jaw... on you,me and this moose and all other deer species.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 PM

and not to mention, if it was an elk......minus the enormous nose on the skull of this moose. it would either be an dead elk brought up here from else where. or the only elk ever seen in the area ever , other than an apperant planting of an elk herd from the early 80s that i many bs on.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 PM

Default .

Old 01-14-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
and not to mention, if it was an elk......minus the enormous nose on the skull of this moose. it would either be an dead elk brought up here from else where. or the only elk ever seen in the area ever , other than an apperant planting of an elk herd from the early 80s that i many bs on.
I seen them BS elk personally, my dad had one lined up in his sights right next to Engstrom Lake. They didn't take long to clear up the rest of the elk outta that heard. Rumor was they were brought up from Elk Island to try to establish a population up here. They lasted the late 80's, early 90's from what I can remember. One of my dad's friends found the head of a 5 point bull in the bush the second year they were planted there. They weren't far from the scout Camp...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
I seen them BS elk personally, my dad had one lined up in his sights right next to Engstrom Lake. They didn't take long to clear up the rest of the elk outta that heard. Rumor was they were brought up from Elk Island to try to establish a population up here. They lasted the late 80's, early 90's from what I can remember. One of my dad's friends found the head of a 5 point bull in the bush the second year they were planted there. They weren't far from the scout Camp...
There were 250 brought in about 1985IIRC.
I actually saw two ( cows) one day when heading to Christina Lake, right about kettle river.
There was also big bull killed on the Airport road about ten years ago.
Cat