Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-11-2017, 12:30 PM

Default First All Purpose Shotgun

Hi All.
I'm new to bird hunting (upland and waterfowl), and am looking to get a 12 gauge to be used for both.
My budget is around $1,800 max. and I would prefer to buy new.
I'm on the fence between a semi-auto (inertia driven) and an O/U.
I like the look and feel of wood on guns, so this would be preferred over the synthetic stocks but not super important.
If I could get some opinions on which would be the better "dual purpose gun", that would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:33 PM

Either will work well , it all comes down to personal preference
Some guys like semis in the goose blind more than O/U's
I prefer s SxS for everything , not because I think they are better, I just prefer them for hunting.
Cat
Old 04-11-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Either will work well , it all comes down to personal preference
Some guys like semis in the goose blind more than O/U's
I prefer s SxS for everything .
Cat
Agreed, and make sure it fits you well.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:39 PM

I've never gone "shotgun shopping" with that kind of budget, but from I do know about upland hunting...the lighter the gun, the better. (provided it fits you, you shoot it well, etc. etc.) To me, it's where O/U shotguns shine..but I wouldn't even attempt to GUESS at how many miles I've lugged around 870 pump guns. Pretty good "all around" guns, but heavy for the number of kms you're likely to put on your boots looking for birds. I inherited a 16ga. Ithaca 37 Featherweight a couple of years ago, and while I still think an O/U is a nicer choice for upland, it's a nicer pump to carry around on long hikes than the 870 is. As much as I love 870s.

Waterfowl~semis rule the day there, suited to 3" or even 3-1/2". However, I personally wouldn't consider a big semi the nicest gun to be lugging around in the bush. I like walnut/blued steel too...but..for ducks, it will be a camo/synthetic gun when the time comes.

Sounds to me like you need 2 shotguns.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask Bearman View Post
Agreed, and make sure it fits you well.
Agreed, too many people tend to overlook fit, even though we pound the heck outta the fact that a gun NEEDS to fit for trouble free shooting!
Cat
Old 04-11-2017, 03:56 PM

As for semi vs O/U, it is personal preference the only difference being +/- 1 shot in my mind. So I would base it on fit, feel, esthetic and that tingly feeling when you realize you're getting a new toy. Personally I enjoy my 725 Sporting
Old 04-11-2017, 04:06 PM

I think you can use/carry whatever you want hunting upland, as long as the weight isn't too onerous humping it over hill and dale (reason I picked u a little 20ga a couple years ago). So I'd primarily look at what I want to use in the duck blind. Personally, while I love wood too, I'd go for a semi-auto with a synthetic camo stock. You want something to handle the rain and snow and be less visible. Just my two cents. Nice if the gun can handle 3 1/2" loads but it sure isn't a requirement. I just use 3" for everything.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:55 PM

I started with a U/O and later bought a semi. Both shoot game, trap, and skeet equally well. I personally like underovers when hunting upland game because you can use 2 chokes, modified for up close and full choke for the second shot when I miss; if you need 3 shots for upland chances are the birds are far enough away you wont hit them anyways.

My U/O is a CZ Redhead and a Winchester SX3 in wood trim for my semi. Both have been very reliable and under your budget, for 1800 you can get a really nice shotgun.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:19 PM

If I was only allowed one shotgun for everything, it would be a 12 gauge semi auto, and it would be a gas operated gun to reduce recoil. Fortunately, I will likely never be forced to make that choice. And fit would be my number one priority in choosing a shotgun, as a shotgun that doesn't fit, isn't of much use.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:40 PM

Like a lot have said "one firearm to do it all" will involve a compromise on one end or the other. I like the break action for upland, and our gang all carry them, broke open for the most part, that way a fellow can see and carry it in a "safe" condition. The two choke and two different shell thing is also a plus.
But I / we like the synthetic auto loaders for waterfowl most due to ease of loading in the blind and the synthetic part. In addition as the water fowling usually entails more clothes, wet weather, damp etc. I use a different fit for this firearm. A lot of the new semis are quire adjustable out of the box, the trick to know what to adjust them to.
That's were a gun fitter can help.
What I would do is spend the time and $ to shoot / get fit properly at Silver Willow or another gun fitter not at a box store shouldering a firearm. To me the fit is the be all and end all.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:06 PM

I would be quite comfortable shooting everything with a 16 or 20 gauge SxS or O/U including geese - which I have done in the past and will continue to so

I enjoy break action guns for several reasons and the older the better!
Cat
Old 04-11-2017, 06:09 PM

My preferred upland shotgun is a o/u Beretta I bought used but in terms of utility, I've had no bad experiences with my Extrema 2 and Versamax. Most recently, I have beaten up and modded my Versamax and it runs and runs. I had to use a thinner recoil pad to make it fit but it has been a great shotgun.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:45 PM

As for o/u I would use the Browning to set the price for quality and then choose An o/u in that price range and above . As for semi auto buy a Remington so you can keep food on the table for the gunsmiths . Actually Beretta , Beneli, Browning semi autos seem good . Definitely choose based on how it fits .
Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 PM

I have always enjoyed an over/under for upland. When my focus changed to waterfowl I did not hesitate to transition to an autoloader. My suggestion based on your questions is to start with a quality semi. For a new shooter there is a definite recoil advantage. Good luck in making the right choice.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:12 PM

I like my CZ Redhead 20ga O/U for grouse, it's very quick to shoulder and just feels natural, it was around $800 years ago. I just retired my old 870 and bought a Browning Silver Hunter 12ga for skeet and geese, I got on sale at Bashaw for $1100. I haven't shot it a lot yet but what I did shoot it cycled beautiful. Both have beautiful wood stocks.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Banned

I like the semi for goose/duck hunting, with synthetic stock. As mentioned before I find it much handier in the blind. Lots of nice guns in your price range.