Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2016, 07:24 AM

Default Gas Gouging

The price of gas in in Medicine Hat jumped yesterday from 87.5 to 101.7. Can anyone explain why the jump? Because it was Friday? Because they felt the need to gouge the public some more? What i can't figure out is when the price of oil goes up, they raise the price of gas .....i get that. But when the price of oil goes down, the gas stays at the same price. How does that work?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:28 AM

No snow and camping = higher price at the pumps.
Reason = becuase they can if they want.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:31 AM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3FRgE4mvQw

You're welcome.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:33 AM

Costco had gas for 85.4 three hours ago, I filled up there yesterday when I saw the Shell at 101.9
Old 04-30-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiity View Post
The price of gas in in Medicine Hat jumped yesterday from 87.5 to 101.7. Can anyone explain why the jump? Because it was Friday? Because they felt the need to gouge the public some more? What i can't figure out is when the price of oil goes up, they raise the price of gas .....i get that. But when the price of oil goes down, the gas stays at the same price. How does that work?
It's called the Ben Dover Principle. Same thing happens to the losing side of any federal or provincial election, they feel somehow they're gonna get the shaft and are quite vocal about it
Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
It's called the Ben Dover Principle. Same thing happens to the losing side of any federal or provincial election, they feel somehow they're gonna get the shaft and are quite vocal about it
What the heck does the price of gasoline have to do with the "losing" side?...that's quite the stretch, even for you.....
Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 AM

Poor Halbert, a true conservative, his sense of humour seems to be missin'.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:55 AM

Not sure why so many consumers think that the price of gasoline shouldn't change at the whim of the people or companies who are selling it. The product is privately owned and the businesses selling it do so to make a profit. Anyone can sell what they own for what they think it will fetch in the market. Anyone who doesn't like the price is able not to purchase. It's called free enterprise.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:28 AM

Big Oil always jacks the price up in the spring trying to get it over a $1.00 a liter to catch the driving public during the summer months when most miles/kms are driven. It is especially profitable when pulling a big trailer to lake with a pick-up or driving to BC with the house in tow.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:03 PM

Another week, another thread on this topic....
Old 04-30-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdac View Post
Not sure why so many consumers think that the price of gasoline shouldn't change at the whim of the people or companies who are selling it. The product is privately owned and the businesses selling it do so to make a profit. Anyone can sell what they own for what they think it will fetch in the market. Anyone who doesn't like the price is able not to purchase. It's called free enterprise.
Not free at all. It is called price fixing. The absolute opposite of a FREE MARKET! A free market is setup to allow a profit on a item sold. It does not allow for a group of companies to set an incredibly high price for a product and all set the same price in a community.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdelle View Post
Not free at all. It is called price fixing. The absolute opposite of a FREE MARKET! A free market is setup to allow a profit on a item sold. It does not allow for a group of companies to set an incredibly high price for a product and all set the same price in a community.
To maintain market share in that area ones price for goods or services needs to be comparable to ones competitors. Has nothing to do with price fixing.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
So false it is a lie. If you think it is true lodge a complaint with the completion bureau. Otherwise your hateful attitude towards the oil industry just gets old and shrivelled.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-30-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Move to Europe if you hate high gas prices in Canada

http://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fu...l#.VyUQ-tq9KSM
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-30-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So false it is a lie. If you think it is true lodge a complaint with the completion bureau. Otherwise your hateful attitude towards the oil industry just gets old and shrivelled.
Your protectionist views are laughable. Your a lobbyist for big oil... You say a lot but at the same time NEVER SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

By the way I think we need big oil.

Answer me why every station in a community as almost the exact same price?
Old 04-30-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Thankyou SUNDANCEFISHER for adding so much to the conversation.

Doesnt matter if someone has a valid point. Knock them down and tell em to get the ell out of your country eh.

Heck werent prices lower in November when oil prices were higher than they are now.

The worlds oil production dropped last week and now there is a massive shortage and that justifies the price jumps.

And

Lets compare hmmmm Canadian oil and gas sold locally to the price of it sold on MARS for

Gonna back out and take a break from stupidity..

Price fixing is an agreement (written, verbal, or inferred from conduct) among competitors that raises, lowers, or stabilizes prices or competitive terms. Generally, the antitrust laws require that each company establish prices and other terms on its own, without agreeing with a competitor. When consumers make choices about what products and services to buy, they expect that the price has been determined freely on the basis of supply and demand, not by an agreement among competitors. When competitors agree to restrict competition, the result is often higher prices. Accordingly, price fixing is a major concern of government antitrust enforcement.

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-30-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Your protectionist views are laughable. Your a lobbyist for big oil... You say a lot but at the same time NEVER SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

By the way I think we need big oil.

Answer me why every station in a community as almost the exact same price?
It has been said repeatedly.

It is a hyper competitive market. Prices Are not secret. The GIANT sign with the price sits in plain view of everyone.

Companies just need to look out the window.

If Esso sees She'll change their price on the sign they can change their price to match, put a higher or lower price up. It happens in minutes as companies look to balance the need to make money with the desire to increase market share.

Simple. Understand? If not please state what you don't understand and I can provide additional information.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Banned

Many of us have found the seemingly united movement of fuel prices in unison suspicious. Especially if, like myself, one spends a lot of time in the US, and sees wide variations in pricing, even from stations that are across the street from each other.

However, and I don't know why, numerous investigations into price fixing have always come up with the answer that nothing illegal is going on. At some point we have to accept that, even if we don't want to.

Those are the realities.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Ain't me bitchin' about gas prices Slick. Hell right now I payin' about $400 less a month than I was at the peak and I also know damn well that those higher pump costs will eventually be back and then some.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Thankyou SUNDANCEFISHER for adding so much to the conversation.

Doesnt matter if someone has a valid point. Knock them down and tell em to get the ell out of your country eh.

Heck werent prices lower in November when oil prices were higher than they are now.

Let me guess SUNDANCE Baiter. The worlds oil production dropped last week and now there is a massive shortage and that justifies the price jumps.

And what a crock to compare Europe's gas prices to Canada's when it comes out of our back yards....

Lets compare hmmmm Canadian oil and gas sold locally to the price of it sold on MARS for justification. Holy Sh*t, we are getting an amazing deal here VS MARS.

If you don't like the price of gas here then you should get the ELL out of my country and move to MARS.

Gonna back out and take a break from stupidity..

Price fixing is an agreement (written, verbal, or inferred from conduct) among competitors that raises, lowers, or stabilizes prices or competitive terms. Generally, the antitrust laws require that each company establish prices and other terms on its own, without agreeing with a competitor. When consumers make choices about what products and services to buy, they expect that the price has been determined freely on the basis of supply and demand, not by an agreement among competitors. When competitors agree to restrict competition, the result is often higher prices. Accordingly, price fixing is a major concern of government antitrust enforcement.
Swearing doesn't make facts appear. Name calling also. This not a fact finding thread but just yet another oil company bashing thread.

Companies can sell gasoline for what the free enterprise market can afford to pay. That is balanced with supply and demand and market share capture attempts.

Your position is not based upon facts. You don't wish to listen.

Point of European gas prices is they are higher there. Just lime we have variability across Canada.

Again. You slander oil companies by evoking anti competition and collusion accusations.

Put it in writing. Send it to the authorities. They will either prosecute or tell you nicely you are wrong, misguided and uninformed.

Regards

SDF
Old 04-30-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Many of us have found the seemingly united movement of fuel prices in unison suspicious. Especially if, like myself, one spends a lot of time in the US, and sees wide variations in pricing, even from stations that are across the street from each other.

However, and I don't know why, numerous investigations into price fixing have always come up with the answer that nothing illegal is going on. At some point we have to accept that, even if we don't want to.

Those are the realities.
US is not comparable due to two known factors.

1 is market size. Volume of sale is much higher than in Canada.

2 is customer loyalty. In the states people will mostly only buy from their preferred company. In Canada people buy gas wherever. Canadian show very little brand loyalty. Hence stations need to adjust prices fast because they will go yo any station with the lowest price. Some attempts to capture better brand loyal has not done a ton. Reward cards have made some changes. Rewards however are factored into prices.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:26 PM

My buddy was in Havre MT. on Thursday gas was $210 A GALLON
Old 04-30-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
That's pricey!!
Old 04-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Even cheaper today
Screenshot_20160430-180025.jpg
Old 04-30-2016, 04:06 PM

Jeepers a guy gets into some bad cell reception and I miss all the childish stuff .
If you guys can't discuss something like adults without insults to each other I'll lock this down and certain posters can sit it out for a while !:
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-30-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
There's a big difference between $210 a gallon and $2.10 lol
Old 04-30-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:

There is another reason for folks to be anti oil in AB.

I always defended them in the past, not so much any more.

No longer would it hurt my feelings if oil died in AB. Maybe population would drop back to 1 mil. Better fishing, hunting and camping.

And for those that dont like that they can move.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 04-30-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Those are the realities.
This fits in nicely with the fact that the PC government created rules to protect the oil industry from lawsuits regarding fraccing ect. Same thing they did with utility companies.

We will see if things change.

If there had been massive jobs added to match the 30 cent raise in pump prices then I would have no issue with it. However a 30 cent increase with no apparent change in the market/ cost of production or anything else seems suspicious when every station has the same price.

However as these prices are raised by large foreign owned multi nationals and the added profit leaves our country and our populace has to pay for it, leaving less money in our pockets for food, housing and other things needed in our lives, I am surprised that people almost make the conclusion that it is a good thing.

Last edited by Camdelle; 04-30-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:34 PM

Oups yep $ 2.10 more like it.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 PM

Why would the gov do anything about it that's where their and our revenues come from. No doubt their is collusion amongst them to say it's free market is bs. It happens within minutes among them.

Explain the reason for the jump? A refinery shut down? Has no impact on an overly saturated market.