Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 AM

Default Anyone been down to the bow south/Highwood area?

looking for ice conditions etc? Highwood breaking up?

thanks.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:03 PM

I am planning on heading out April 5-6 and going to try to introduce my friend living in Calgary to fly fishing. Condition updates would be great to plan our stretch of water to work, bank condition, flow and colour would be awesome. If anyone notices or wants to comment on hatches as a bonus that would be great. I know the thread was for south bow/ Highwood, but any bow river section update on here would simplify the forum. Thanks again to all who comment!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Banned

I live in the NW of Calgary. Not particularly useful as it is not a popular part of the river and is going to close soon, but

River is open. There are ice sheets extending into the river in some spots, but most are melting fast. Not really any ice shelves, but some very icy spots.

During the warm spell the water clarity dropped but was not really turbid.

When the temp dropped again, there was a lot of slush and ice chunks coming down. Didn't look very fishable or I would have tried.

I'm hoping for a couple weeks with temps just above 0.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Was down at that spot about a week ago. The road in was muddy and sketchy and you couldn't get within about 150 metres of the parking spot due to snow. That leaves about one parking spot just east of land owners gate and the rest would be illegal parking. Those that know the spot also know how much that land owner hates we that try to fish there. Last years floods have eroded the bank enough that there is really no way to walk without trespassing and again the land owner has a hate on for people fishing there. (Not saying it is not for a good reason as I have heard of people cutting fences, just calling it like it is). River was fish able but lots of high snow banks on river right side and river was real dirty. Had a couple on but none in the net, so fish are there. Hope that helps.