Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 AM

Has anyone found treble hooks with barbs for flies yet?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:17 PM

Iv been barb-less since I started flyfishing (17 years ago). Does it decrease or improve my catch rate? Not 100% sure, I have fished with guys using barbs, in the end its faster for me to release the fish as most of the time I do not even have to handle it unless its for a picture which I rarely take. Also I have had fish swallow the fly deep and iv had no issues taking the hook out. I personally believe barb-less is better, in the end iv noticed guys who fish barbs have to handle the fish more. In the end its each to there own. But I will always be barb-less even if I don't have to be.

In the end its not all about how many fish you reel in, its about being in the outdoors. Some guys get right uptight about this whole barb-less vs barbed debate and everyone has their beliefs.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Iv been barb-less since I started flyfishing (17 years ago). Does it decrease or improve my catch rate? Not 100% sure, I have fished with guys using barbs, in the end its faster for me to release the fish as most of the time I do not even have to handle it unless its for a picture which I rarely take. Also I have had fish swallow the fly deep and iv had no issues taking the hook out. I personally believe barb-less is better, in the end iv noticed guys who fish barbs have to handle the fish more. In the end its each to there own. But I will always be barb-less even if I don't have to be.

In the end its not all about how many fish you reel in, its about being in the outdoors. Some guys get right uptight about this whole barb-less vs barbed debate and everyone has their beliefs.
And there's the statement of the year!

I've been barbless several years myself, and do not see a correlation to how many fish I keep vs don't. I can say that the amount of fish I've lost to just spitting the hook is incredibly small in comparison to the bites I've had on the line. Most of my lost fish are due to bad knots or snapped lines.

What I can say, like troutbug mentioned, I can release the hook incredibly easier, especially in those big pike!

Cheers
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 PM

I now go barbless even when I'm fishing where barbs are allowed.

fished in australia, barbed hook: 4 bites and 1 landed, ripped half his jaw off (small tailor) when removing the hook.
pinched the barb: around 6 or 7 bites and 2 landed.

only real difference is that it does a heck of a lot more damage to the fish. especially small fish.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-05-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynick View Post
Has anyone found treble hooks with barbs for flies yet?
No, but these are close!