Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 12:24 PM

Default Online Game Harvest Survey!

Our local Fish & Game Associations used to conduct the game harvest surveys by phone, and we were paid .75 cents per completed survey. It was a great way to touch base with our fellow hunters, and make some much needed cash for the clubs.
Now the entire survey is done online, as I am sure you have all gotten your email from SRD. Please answer these questions honestly. I spoke to numerous hunters over the years while completing these phone surveys, and it was commonplace to have them tell me the following mistruths: They hunted way more days than they actually did; They never shot anything; evasive answers on what zones they hunted in, etc.
I have confronted hunters I know that refuse to give honest responses, and the reasoning is always the same! "The Fish Cops don't need to know my business", or "If we tell em' we shot somethin' then they give out less tags next year"!
Please answer honestly! I know that the SRD has limited resources to conduct game counts, etc, and they very often mismanage certain zones, tags, draws etc. But they cannot get it right if we are not truthful.
Be part of the solution, not the problem!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 PM

I thought the survery was very efficient except for the case of overlapping tags in the same WMU.

For example: I had a general moose tag, WT general, and anterless tag and hunted in the bowzone. I entered 10 days for each, even though it was the same 10 days.

Hopefully they take this into account somehow.

A day for me might only mean a few hours as well.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:37 PM

A little side to this subject... I've never really known what to answer with regards to my Black Bear license. I always buy it at the beginning of my hunting season, and it is always with me when I'm out for elk or deer. I don't actually hunt them, but have the tag 'just in case'. So when asked on the survey, do i say yes i hunted bear and the indicate the number of days i was out for elk/deer or is the answer no?
I generally say no.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterbyheart View Post
A little side to this subject... I've never really known what to answer with regards to my Black Bear license. I always buy it at the beginning of my hunting season, and it is always with me when I'm out for elk or deer. I don't actually hunt them, but have the tag 'just in case'. So when asked on the survey, do i say yes i hunted bear and the indicate the number of days i was out for elk/deer or is the answer no?
I generally say no.
I hear ya... when I started out I was buying bear, and cougar, and pretty much everything. After a few years I realized I was wasting money. I didn't really even WANT a bear or cougar.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

Again, another misdirection of our money. What are they being charged by the company doing the online survey? Would the clubs have been willing to still do the survey at a competitive rate - say 1/2 the money? This is a financial drain on the local F&G clubs to funnel the money to .... who?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Gone Hunting

They bobbled up with the survey they sent me. I opened it up and was looking at all of my Dad's licences and information. Cant fill that one out, least not with accuracy,,, so I wont. Its not worth persueing to get sorted out, knowing that more than likely I will be on the phone for a full day and still not have seen any progress.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Again, another misdirection of our money. What are they being charged by the company doing the online survey? Would the clubs have been willing to still do the survey at a competitive rate - say 1/2 the money? This is a financial drain on the local F&G clubs to funnel the money to .... who?
I suspect ISM/IBM. If you remember last time we renewed our WIN Cards, the price was doubled and that extra money was going to be used to set up this entire online system.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:13 PM

I thought it was spam and treated it that way. I always enjoyed doing the hunter survey over the phone[from both ends] and I don't enjoy doing surveys over the internet.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Default Hunter survey

I can remember when our club did the phone survey. It was a very time consuming and rather frustrating. Most guys were under the impression that we were with the govt. and proceeded to rant and rave about everything they thought was wrong. I introduced myself at the start of each call but it did not seem to make any difference. I like to talk as much as anybody but some of those conversations were on the edge of being ridiculous. At .50 cents a call it was a total waste of time. I spent approx. 50 hrs on the phome and got paid for 45 guys that were home so thats $22.00. Thats my rant cause I do not care how they do it now. Piker