Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2016, 08:39 PM

Default Alaskan Bound!!!

We are planning a family vacation to Anchorage for 7 days at the end of August. For those of you that have been there before what are some family oriented attractions that we should check out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2016, 09:11 PM

I noticed that Alaska State Fair is from Aug. 25 to Sept 5. Just outside of Palmer, not far from Anchorage. There has to be an Anchorage events calendar online.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-26-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I noticed that Alaska State Fair is from Aug. 25 to Sept 5. Just outside of Palmer, not far from Anchorage. There has to be an Anchorage events calendar online.
We noticed that too and plan to take it in as it will be the same time as we are there.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Banned

r u driving?......if u have time take the top of the world hwy between tok and dawson city. you'll be able to see 'chicken'!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 PM

Unfortunately we don't have time to drive up. We will be doing a family reunion in Victoria then driving to Seattle to jump on a plane to fly up. We will be renting a vehicle for the week so that we see the sights outside of Anchorage.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:13 PM

When I lived there 11 years ago definitely make a day trip to Seward. I took my parents on the Alaska railroad down there coming back the same day. While the road is fine you see a lot more on a train car although it takes about twice as long if I remember correctly. Visit Hoodlake seaplane base it pull see it flying into ANC. Worlds largest seaplane base is pretty cool if your into aviation. The Alaska Ulu factory is an interesting stop since you use is so prevalent up there. If the state fair is going on that is pretty cool. Seeing a 500# pumpkins and 100# zucchinies are amazing. You could also do a trip down to Whittier if you drive down to Seward. There is a one way tunnel that goes under a glacier that was built to access the town. The town was built to help protect supply ships during WWII as they wouldn't have to go into open ocean. You could make another day trip to Homer. In Missoula if you like pizza or beer stop in at The Mooses Tooth. Food was pretty darn good. Not a drinker so not sure how the beer is. If you have the time drive up to Denali National
Park. It's the Park service 100 year anniversary so they may have something going on. Seward has the aquarium and I believe the University of Anchorage has a museum although I've never been to it. The sister museum in Fairbanks is interesting. Hope that helps
Old 04-27-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
Unfortunately we don't have time to drive up. We will be doing a family reunion in Victoria then driving to Seattle to jump on a plane to fly up. We will be renting a vehicle for the week so that we see the sights outside of Anchorage.
We stayed in Anchorage for a 4 days after a week on Kodiak two years ago and toured out. Highlights:

Anchorage is a big City but easy to get around in. There is a Cabela's that has northern gear and a Sportsmans warehouse that is really good. You will see stuff that you cannot get down here. Lot's of reasonable places to dine. There are a couple of good parks to walk in Anchorage. We toured out to the NE to a couple of old towns for site seeing. When we were there the weather was not great for Mount McKinley so we did a different direction (check the weather on rain). There is a marsh board walk out of town south that is interesting (we do bird photography so it was good for us on that side).

Seward is a full day trip and the Aquarium is very good. There is quite a bit to see on the drive there. There are a number of really good restaurants to eat at. Lot's of tourist trap stores. Good seawall area and old town to walk around in. If you want to do Seward and Homer then that is overnight. Most guys that were charter fishing were Seward or Homer.

Bus Tour to Whittier - was an interesting drive and there was a good wildlife park that we spent time at. The tunnel into Whittier is different and when you get to the town the abandoned military residential complex is not something that I had expected to see. Check if there is a cruise ship docked as this will make the small town very busy. If the weather is good I would go to McKinley before Whittier.

Have fun.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:45 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
r u driving?......if u have time take the top of the world hwy between tok and dawson city. you'll be able to see 'chicken'!
That is one of the most "scenic" drives ever. The vistas are just awe inspiring.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:18 AM

Thanks for all the input. That definitely has added a few items to our itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 AM

Default Alaska Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
Smart way to do it, we drove once and it was awesome, next time we will fly and rent a vehicle. Take the rail tours as well as glacier and wildlife tours, they can be taken by boat, motor coach or plane. Lots of options. Enjoy and post pics when you get back.
DogFish