Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 AM

Default Grayling creeks

Living up north I enjoy grayling fishing on the smaller creeks. Sapree creek in ft mcmurray is a beautiful little creek. Rocky and fairly clear . Much more fun then fishing the bigger rivers IMO. I will try to post some pics if this dang I phone would cooperate ....
Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 PM

Smile Right in fort mcmurray

This little creek lets me escape the hustle and bustle(although I can still hear traffic during low wate levels) . Some nice pockets in this little creek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 PM

Smile Another pic

Here's my target on this creek with my 2wt six and a half foot rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Banned

Very nice!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 PM

Pikes peak for sure
Old 03-18-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
You'll understand as you get into fly fishing and reading more.
A lot of people know but usually don't say anything.
I am in to fly fishing. I have been for a good while. I know what frenchmans creek is. I just think its BS. Lets share our areas. Unlike the popular standard boat fisherman, I have not met any rude fisherman on the river. And we all take pride in fish preservation, and treat fish kind like we want them to bite again someday.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Little Smoky River
Freeman
Livingstone
Cataract

i live in High Prairie... can you tell me what you catch on the little smokey? Of all the places i haven't fished its that and its right out my back door... maybe that why...
Old 03-18-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87stocker View Post
I am in to fly fishing. I have been for a good while. I know what frenchmans creek is. I just think its BS. Lets share our areas. Unlike the popular standard boat fisherman, I have not met any rude fisherman on the river. And we all take pride in fish preservation, and treat fish kind like we want them to bite again someday.
I think most of us share information more when we meet on the stream or lake. Giving away the proper name of frenchman's creek over the internet is a good way to slowly overfish a body of water , or damage the ecosystem with everyone's garbage.

I am somewhat new to fly fishing and somewhat agree it would have been nice to get some better hints on locations here , but in reality you generally have to find the spots on your own. I have a couple of spots I enjoy going to that almost get no mention on the internet and I like it that way.

But so I don't sound like a complete meany , I did have a pretty decent afternoon on Praire Creek last year. Exact location is a secrete, but I will say I was still in cell phone coverage.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
I think most of us share information more when we meet on the stream or lake. Giving away the proper name of frenchman's creek over the internet is a good way to slowly overfish a body of water , or damage the ecosystem with everyone's garbage.

I am somewhat new to fly fishing and somewhat agree it would have been nice to get some better hints on locations here , but in reality you generally have to find the spots on your own. I have a couple of spots I enjoy going to that almost get no mention on the internet and I like it that way.

But so I don't sound like a complete meany , I did have a pretty decent afternoon on Praire Creek last year. Exact location is a secrete, but I will say I was still in cell phone coverage.
I understand that point for sure. And I don't feel as if I need hints or more spots to fish. I just think that a few of the new ones to the sport could use the hints. I have my spots and future locations picked out. As it is this thing called "work" gets in the way of what little fishing I feel that I get in during the summer
Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
ya all 1385 active users that can browse this forum at free will share the same pride we do.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
ya all 1385 active users that can browse this forum at free will share the same pride we do.
I don't know about you but I'm an active member of the star motorcycle forums, as an owner of a 1300 V star . I don't browse the virago 250 forums within. Why? Because I'm not interested. I highly doubt people who don't care about fly fishing will even chime in.

But again I say. I do understand why you may want to call your creek frenchmans. All good. To each their own.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:39 PM

Question Freeman

For the guys that fish the freeman river.... How is the grayling fishing and are there any pockets of Athabows in there like people say?? I've only seen pics of that river but it looks like a great grayling river, just made for fly fishing
Old 03-25-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Whats with all this frenchmans crap. Blackstone is my favorite. Upstream of the campground. Come on out and have at it. There is plenty of room for us respectable fly fishers.
Blackstone is one of my favs., same as red deer river.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroumand8 View Post
Blackstone is one of my favs., same as red deer river.
Trout are all but done in the red deer river this last flood gave them a real kicking . good fish 16"+ very difficult to find hatches brought no or few fish up in the normal areas and the river its self did not suffer flow changes like many othetz be a few yrs before the red deer trout rebound if they ever do what with walter #'s skyrocketing. Jmo.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 PM

I like it at my fishing lodge in the NWT. Very few people hundreds of unnamed rivers and creeks full of fish.
When I travel to Aylmer Lake Lodge NWT, I will make footprints in one of the most uninhabited regions on earth. It’s rich natural beauty, pristine arctic landscape, crystal clear waters, abundant wildlife, and warm friendly faces are all waiting for you to discover and explore and become a part of your life story.