Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-13-2020, 10:33 AM

Default Vanguard s2 in 270

Looking at upgrading my rifle to something a little newer . Have 1000$ to spend.

Everything I have read is pointing me towards a Weatherby Vanguard series 2 but I’ve also heard good things about the tikka t3x lite.

Would be chambered in 270win.

I’ve handled the t3x but seems a little on the light side . Yet to handle the vanguard.

Upgrading from a 1979 Remington 700 BDL. (Which I’m looking to sell )

Anyone own either rifle? Pros and cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2020, 10:35 AM

The vanguard is made by howa. The howa 1500 has a different stock, but is the same action and would be cheaper than the vanguard.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:42 AM

The Vanguard is made by Howa, it is not exactly the same gun. Buy the Weatherby version, the differences are worth the price. They are great guns and probably the best deal in their price range. Only thing close is the Tikka. I have a couple of MKVs in LH and love them but they are a lot more money. If they made the Vanguard in LH I would own a few.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:43 AM

Unless your 270 is shot out or something wrong with it,its not a upgrade! Having said that ! have 5 vanguards here and love em. The only thing I find which irks me is that the internal mag is shorter then I like, but that's a personal preference. If you want to bed it ,it does require quite a lot of bedding to get the barrel channel built up for the first inch.

Check to make sure its freefloated after that, unless its a wood stock model then I also bed the last inch of stock unless there is a contrasting tip then I bed behind it and free float the rest. Make sense??

Other then those couple of points...nothing wrong with them.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:43 AM

You can't go wrong with a Vanguard or a T-3X.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:14 PM

The Vanguard is an excellent rifle. They are Accurate, the triggers are far better compared to older versions and are a solid gun that the overwhelming majority of people who own them will tell you.

I have one Vanguard, ans a few MarkV's (including an Acumark RC) and the Vanguard will shoot just as accurately. Quite impressed.

They are much heavier compared to the T3 Lite - but, as a result, kick far less. Tikka Lites are punishing - not sure if it's just me and a few others (because it may not fit us well) but they generate a nasty bite.

Both have ugly stocks IMO.

But, I'd handle them both and see what fits you better. They are dramatically different and whatever fits you better is what I'd go with. Both are excellent guns.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The Vanguard is an excellent rifle. They are Accurate, the triggers are far better compared to older versions and are a solid gun that the overwhelming majority of people who own them will tell you.

I have one Vanguard, ans a few MarkV's (including an Acumark RC) and the Vanguard will shoot just as accurately. Quite impressed.

They are much heavier compared to the T3 Lite - but, as a result, kick far less. Tikka Lites are punishing - not sure if it's just me and a few others (because it may not fit us well) but they generate a nasty bite.

But, I'd handle them both and see what fits you better. They are dramatically different and whatever fits you better is what I'd go with. Both are excellent guns.

That’s the one reason I’d shy away from the T3x

Old 09-13-2020, 02:00 PM

I currently have a S2 Vanguard and 2 Howa S1s with Timney triggers. To me the S2 trigger is much better than the stock S1 trigger, but I prefer the S1 metal work: nicely polished metal and nicer bluing, at least on the ones I have. The S2 Vanguard has more of a bead-blasted metal finished with matte bluing.
Depends on preference for the aesthetics. They are all very accurate and well made.
Vance
Old 09-13-2020, 02:20 PM

You can't go wrong with either. Having owned both I have a preference for the Tikka. Quite a bit lighter than the Weatherby, so a bit more recoil however they are superbly accurate and light enough to carry all day.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

The T-3x has a much better recoil pad than the original T-3, but I still don't find the T-3 comfortable in the magnum chamberings. In a 270win, the T-3x , is quite tolerable.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:52 PM

Having had many of both, I do not consider them equal. I much prefer the Tikka, and the T3x has numerous improvements over the T3.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2020, 09:18 PM

Default Vanguard s2 in 270

I am going to try and get my hands on a vanguard this week sometime to see how it feels compared to the tikka.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The Vanguard is made by Howa, it is not exactly the same gun. Buy the Weatherby version, the differences are worth the price. They are great guns and probably the best deal in their price range. Only thing close is the Tikka. I have a couple of MKVs in LH and love them but they are a lot more money. If they made the Vanguard in LH I would own a few.
So what are the differences?
Old 09-13-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dt44 View Post
I am going to try and get my hands on a vanguard this week sometime to see how it feels compared to the tikka.

The S2 will cost you less and you can put that coin towards better glass.

Vanguard are heavier but very good rifles and actions.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:32 AM

Bought my son a S2 in 7mm RM 18-20 months ago for $625 at Cabela’s.
I’m not sure of what the prices are now, likely a bit higher.

TBark
Old 09-15-2020, 09:53 AM

From my research into the differences between howa 1500 and weatherby vanguard. When weatherby takes the Howa action, they paint the F and S for the safety black as opposed to Howa using red paint in the lettering. Weatherby adds some machined texture to the bolt knob, and adds some fluting grooves to the bolt body. They each use their own barrels. Both have a sub-moa guarantee. I know howa has an aluminum frame interior on the hogue rubberized stock. Not sure if the vanguard has the aluminum frame in the stock.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
From my research into the differences between howa 1500 and weatherby vanguard. When weatherby takes the Howa action, they paint the F and S for the safety black as opposed to Howa using red paint in the lettering. Weatherby adds some machined texture to the bolt knob, and adds some fluting grooves to the bolt body. They each use their own barrels. Both have a sub-moa guarantee. I know howa has an aluminum frame interior on the hogue rubberized stock. Not sure if the vanguard has the aluminum frame in the stock.

Just so you know, they also use different triggers and the bottom metal is slightly different. You can get the Vanguard in Weatherby cartridges, I have never seen a true Howa in Weatherby chamberings. You can get the Howa with a wood stock and they have quite a range of models. They are a well made gun for a good price.

https://www.howausa.com/rifles/hogue-rifle/
Old 09-15-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You can't go wrong with a Vanguard or a T-3X.
Or a 79' BDL... if I owned either of those rifles I would probably be trying to trade the OP for his Remy.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Just so you know, they also use different triggers and the bottom metal is slightly different. You can get the Vanguard in Weatherby cartridges, I have never seen a true Howa in Weatherby chamberings. You can get the Howa with a wood stock and they have quite a range of models. They are a well made gun for a good price.

https://www.howausa.com/rifles/hogue-rifle/
And the Weatherby Wilderness is not an abomination, while the Howa Alpine is. That would be my deciding factor right there.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The T-3x has a much better recoil pad than the original T-3, but I still don't find the T-3 comfortable in the magnum chamberings. In a 270win, the T-3x , is quite tolerable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Having had many of both, I do not consider them equal. I much prefer the Tikka, and the T3x has numerous improvements over the T3.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
In all fairness - the rifle I was comparing is/was T3 Lite.

If there are recoil pad improvements, it would be a welcome improvement. Not sure what else may have changed on the T3x. It was a great rifle.

The V2 also has a much, much better trigger now.

So it stands to reason things keep improving on both models.

The way it fits seems different to me as well - and the OP should definitely handle both and see what feels right. To me that should be the determining factor.

IMO you are splitting hairs at this price point and the Weatherby does come in cheaper allowing some better glass - but that's irrelevant if it doesn't fit you properly.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:14 AM

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...by-Vanguard-S2

Vangaurd S2, 257 Bee, new in box. Not a 270 but will do the job just fine. Can't beat the price at $650 and he is looking to trade for a 270. I have a 257 Bee in an Ultra Light MkV, just a great gun with very tolerable recoil for such a light rifle. Right bullet it will kill anything you can find in Alberta.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:42 PM

Well last night I was able to see the T3x and vanguard and I ended up going with the tikka.

Just felt better and shouldered a bit better for me.

Now just need wait until the weekend and break it in.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. And I do agree they are both fantastic rifles.

I had two different gunsmiths look at the BDL as well just to make sure and there were definitely some things wrong with it.

I would have felt terrible if I had sold it to someone or given it up on a trade.

The owner before didn’t really care for it that well apparently . And it was my first ever rifle so I was young and uneducated .

Feels good to have a setup that I will know every piece of its history.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:26 PM

Nice choice! Congrats on the new rifle! Now we wait for the range report!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-06-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Nice choice! Congrats on the new rifle! Now we wait for the range report!

Finally got out to the range today and broke it in,

What a rifle, I could have stayed and shot all day. I was surprised by how little recoil there was with the light synthetic rifle. With about 10 rounds down the Remington I was already wandering off target with anticipation of the kick, but the tikka was dead on, could have to do with the trigger pull as well, surprises you sometimes because I was used to such a heavy pull weight.

Put through Winchester deer season 130gr, federal fusion 130gr and hornady precision hunter 145gr and both the federal and hornady were bang on.

Probably stick with the fusion in 130gr unless I’m going for moose or elk.

I’m sure either rifle I chose would have been good but I’m extremely happy with the Tikka.

Now just to wait for November 1st

Old 10-06-2020, 01:39 PM
Banned

i shot a few things with a tikka t3 .270 and 130 fusions, a big cow moose at 200 through the lungs, a small doe at 521 come to mind pretty quick, it's a tougher bullet than people seem to think only for deer, or marketed as such, it's far more delayed controlled expansion so don't hesitate to consider it for all game, it also shot lights out in mine, i shot it well to 700 yards

currently .270 loves 140gr accubonds, also by federal, and i find i get better expansion and internal damage with these and still tons of penetration, exits on anything reasonably broadside out to 300-ish yards still the norm, just more internal damage, don't think they make that ammo anymore but someone probably loads 140 ab's in factory ammo
Old 11-09-2020, 03:50 PM

Tikka T3x got the job done this weekend. Very happy with it.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:09 PM
Banned

what a great thread, congrats

bullet, distance? shot placement looks like you did your part, we all know the rifle did
Old 11-09-2020, 04:13 PM

130gn fusion, 80ish yards offhand.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:07 PM

I think you made the right choice with the Tikka. I have two and wouldn't go with a Vanguard again as long as I'm able to get my hands on a tikka.

Were any of the issues with the BDL related to the action?

Nice deer by the way!
Old 11-09-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
I think you made the right choice with the Tikka. I have two and wouldn't go with a Vanguard again as long as I'm able to get my hands on a tikka.

Were any of the issues with the BDL related to the action?

Nice deer by the way!

It was very shot out. Out to 100 yds was ok but anything after that was not remotely accurate.