Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
From an article at CBC, back from June:

In all, Quebec has recorded 5,029 deaths from COVID-19, along with 53,185 confirmed cases.

More than 80 per cent of the dead were residents of the province's long-term care facilities, known as CHSLDs, and people with more autonomy living in private seniors' residences, or RPAs.

The province's nursing homes, already short on staff and resources before the pandemic, struggled to contain the virus.

At the height of the crisis last month, nearly half of the province's 412 CHSLDs were dealing with at least one confirmed case of COVID-19.
Ok thanks, that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I understand what you are saying. My point was should we start trying to prevent cancer and diabetes in our society?

Can you just imagine if the insane amount of money that's been wasted this last 6 months were invested in research for the above diseases?
Would have saved FAR more lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It shows how doing things wrong can significantly increase the risk. Seniors are most at risk and Alberta did a better job.

For instance. Government said to not have healthcare workers move from seniors home to seniors home and instead only work one.

Quebec took that as a recommendation and didn’t follow it. Alberta did.
Alberta still has healthcare workers switching in between facilities but they do attempt to have a quarantine period in between. I know for a fact the quarantine period is at times ignored if they are short at a facility

My wife has worked at multiple facilities so this is not friend of a friend imaginary information
Old 09-08-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Which stats are wrong?

As I said, if i felt at risk, I would take some responsibility for myself
Sorry. Maybe I am not clear. Your stats are based solely on a selfish attitude that you shouldn’t be inconvenienced to help others.

Your low stats usage is purely self serving given my earlier post of all the co-morbidity issues affecting the majority of others.

You care less about your fellow sportsmen that I apparently by your stated position
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-08-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Here are some interesting numbers from Alberta last week. They illustrate the fatalities related with Covid and the number of comordibities that are associated with the patients. The comorbidities that are listed in the data set as quoted from the Alberta Covid19 stats site are as follows:

The following comorbitities are included in respective analyses: Diabetes, Hypertension, COPD, Cancer, Dementia, Stroke, Liver cirrhosis, Cardiovascular diseases (including IHD and Congestive heart failure), Chronic kidney disease, and Immuno-deficiency.

Some of these ailments are unavoidable but many are. Smoking, poor diet and exercise regimen, alcohol abuse definitely play a part in avoiding these health issues. Since these are the actual cause of death and Covid 19 is the catalyst, should we not be attempting as a society to solve the root cause?

In a total of 239 deaths in Alberta as of last week here is the breakdown.

0 comorbitities = 8 deaths.
1 comorbitities = 14 deaths.
2 comorbitities = 43 deaths.
3+ comorbitities = 174 deaths.

So as a society should we also push people to improve their health in a similar fashion that we are imposing social distancing and mask usage?
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. My point was should we start trying to prevent cancer and diabetes in our society?

As per usual, here is my link https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...statistics.htm

On a side note, why do you keep bringing up "friends, family, neighbors, co-workers" etc? Seems really weird to me.

A lot of illness are self inflicted. Alcohol and over eating are socially acceptable so good luck with trying to curb that within our society. I’m sitting at the gynaecologist office right now with the misses and there are two ladies on oxygen here in the waiting room and they are on the “too many snickers” side of life.
Many people that are compromised and making us tip toe around with masks on put themselves in those compromised positions.
I’ll wear the mask, social distance and do an extra set of weights and some extra treadmill work for these poor compromised people as well......
Old 09-08-2020, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes. The fall back of conspiracy folks is “I have this friend.”

Lol

The sky is falling right Sundance?

I’ll remind you, the sky has been falling since February, statistically there should have been 800,000 infections and 9000 deaths in Alberta by now....

Quick, EVERYONE PANIC DAMMIT!
Old 09-08-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Alberta still has healthcare workers switching in between facilities but they do attempt to have a quarantine period in between. I know for a fact the quarantine period is at times ignored if they are short at a facility

My wife has worked at multiple facilities so this is not friend of a friend imaginary information
Yes. They have learned along the way especially with regards to PPE and sterilization.

With the whole what works and what doesn’t learning curve they are getting more cross facility work. At the time Quebec went sideways those factors weren’t known and as such didn’t do the right things and it spread way more.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-08-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

Kind of off topic but how come my mother-in-law who is a West Jet flight attendant, is travelling all around the country with and not having to ever quarantine? None of them have to. We just had her birthday party last night and she flew in from Toronto yesterday. Lots of contradictions throughout this Covid thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

I’ll remind you, the sky has been falling since February, statistically there should have been 800,000 infections and 9000 deaths by now....

Lol. You realize that Spain, Italy, New York showed how quickly things go sideways.

You are in the camp that says things are better than expected and attribute that to a weak Covod19 versus the actual fact that the mitigation efforts greatly reduced Covid19 spread and deaths.

It is a victory and proof masks and social distancing is helping

Quote:
Sorry. Maybe I am not clear. Your stats are based solely on a selfish attitude that you shouldn’t be inconvenienced to help others.

Your low stats usage is purely self serving given my earlier post of all the co-morbidity issues affecting the majority of others.

You care less about your fellow sportsmen that I apparently by your stated position
Many of your posts seem to have negative emotion embedded within them. We would benefit if you refrained from what I see is attacks and just discussed the facts. You are benefiting no one including yourself by using "selfish attitude, inconvenienced, self serving" etc. Have a snickers and discuss logically.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Kind of off topic but how come my mother-in-law who is a West Jet flight attendant, is travelling all around the country with and not having to ever quarantine? None of them have to. We just had her birthday party last night and she flew in from Toronto yesterday. Lots of contradictions throughout this Covid thing...
No. Quarantine on applies to international travel and those with symptoms and positive results.

Interestingly enough. Research shows the airplanes have great virus scrubbers in their air circulation systems and with masks and cleanings spread on a plane is low risk.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:

That makes as much sense as me telling you to quit driving as there were 330 traffic fatalities in Alberta in 2015. After all, shouldn't you do your part to limit the risk?
Self serving next time you jump in your car (or truck) and head to Walmart. Would taking the bus (limiting vehicles on the road) be too much of an inconvenience?
Old 09-08-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Many of your posts seem to have negative emotion embedded within them. We would benefit if you refrained from what I see is attacks and just discussed the facts. You are benefiting no one including yourself by using "selfish attitude, inconvenienced, self serving" etc. Have a snickers and discuss logically.
Interesting when someone uses the logic that only their own risk is worth concern and continue to spew that... then illogic deserves a like point.

Saying I am only concerned about oneself and not others and a response that others have value as well..is a fair response in this thread.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
That makes as much sense as me telling you to quit driving as there were 330 traffic fatalities in Alberta in 2015. After all, shouldn't you do your part to limit the risk?
Self serving next time you jump in your car (or truck) and head to Walmart. Would taking the bus (limiting vehicles on the road) be too much of an inconvenience?
Lol. On your comparison one crash on McLeod trail can cause 5000 crash 2 weeks later on other parts of Calgary.

Now you are comparing apples to nematodes.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

I’ll remind you, the sky has been falling since February, statistically there should have been 800,000 infections and 9000 deaths in Alberta by now....

Actually that was for the end of May I believe. We should all be paws up by now.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Interesting when someone uses the logic that only their own risk is worth concern and continue to spew that... then illogic deserves a like point.

Saying I am only concerned about oneself and not others and a response that others have value as well..is a fair response in this thread.
Unfortunately I am unable to comprehend what you are attempting to convey. Carry on and forget I asked.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol. You realize that Spain, Italy, New York showed how quickly things go sideways.

You are in the camp that says things are better than expected and attribute that to a weak Covod19 versus the actual fact that the mitigation efforts greatly reduced Covid19 spread and deaths.

Proof masks work?

Not a chance!

Masks weren’t made mandatory until recently, social distancing is what worked. Covid 19 wasn’t even as bad as a common flu for the four people I know who’ve had it. Not a friend of a friends second cousins sisters boyfriend.

Do you know anyone who’s had it?
Old 09-08-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Many people that are compromised and making us tip toe around with masks on put themselves in those compromised positions.
I’ll wear the mask, social distance and do an extra set of weights and some extra treadmill work for these poor compromised people as well......
I'm gonna throw on the 50lb pack and go for a tour of the quarter. No masks but will social distance if I run into a grizz. I'll do an extra half mile for those same people as well
Old 09-08-2020, 03:14 PM
AO Sponsor

Anyone change their opinions yet based on this same old arguments made within the 100 other threads on why covid is the greatest danger/scam we face today?

Anyone?

If not you might as well just start a new thread. Maybe that will work, yeah?
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-08-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna throw on the 50lb pack and go for a tour of the quarter. No masks but will social distance if I run into a grizz. I'll do an extra half mile for those same people as well
Great idea!!
Old 09-08-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Yes. They have learned along the way especially with regards to PPE and sterilization.

With the whole what works and what doesn’t learning curve they are getting more cross facility work. At the time Quebec went sideways those factors weren’t known and as such didn’t do the right things and it spread way more.
When it comes to PPE they have actually been cutting corners do to cost and this has caused some healthcare workers to refuse tasks. There has not been any changes to sterilization practice in the facilities she has worked at.

Only major change is temp checks, quarantine/testing if a worker shows symptoms, and attempts to quarantine if transferring between facilities
Old 09-08-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
No logical answer for you other than the government has not requested it
Old 09-08-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Here are some interesting numbers from Alberta last week. They illustrate the fatalities related with Covid and the number of comordibities that are associated with the patients. The comorbidities that are listed in the data set as quoted from the Alberta Covid19 stats site are as follows:

The following comorbitities are included in respective analyses: Diabetes, Hypertension, COPD, Cancer, Dementia, Stroke, Liver cirrhosis, Cardiovascular diseases (including IHD and Congestive heart failure), Chronic kidney disease, and Immuno-deficiency.

Some of these ailments are unavoidable but many are. Smoking, poor diet and exercise regimen, alcohol abuse definitely play a part in avoiding these health issues. Since these are the actual cause of death and Covid 19 is the catalyst, should we not be attempting as a society to solve the root cause?

In a total of 239 deaths in Alberta as of last week here is the breakdown.

0 comorbitities = 8 deaths.
1 comorbitities = 14 deaths.
2 comorbitities = 43 deaths.
3+ comorbitities = 174 deaths.

So as a society should we also push people to improve their health in a similar fashion that we are imposing social distancing and mask usage?
Interesting idea, but the reality is that even if someone is morbidly obese they won't inflict that on another person. Covid on the other hand is very easy to pass on unless you are distanced from them.....or wear a mask
Old 09-08-2020, 04:46 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

wow this went south eh...or north....vaccine or not...yes...no...wait...I believe was the thread posting or something like that....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-08-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I wonder what they write in death certificates of people who died of flu-related causes. Sarcasm intended, but I seriously wonder.
The exact same thing that is written on someone that died of covid.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I went the Canadian site to have a look at the numbers as the "statista" is a pay site. I found something interesting about the mortality distribution between Alberta and Quebec.

Alberta 242 deaths from 14,474 cases = 1.67% fatality rate.
Quebec 5,770 deaths from 63,713 cases = 9.06% fatality rate.

Why does a Quebec case have 5 times the chance of fatality as an Albertan case? I would accept a province to province deviation of maybe 20% but this is 542% different. If these numbers are gospel, then why is the government not identifying the cause? This should be case for alarm.

Here is the link to where I got this info if you would like to dig around more.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ection.html#a1
Remember Quebec got a lot of covid infections very early when students returned from their very early spring break. As is normal for them, they traveled up from Florida through New York, bringing the infection with them, where it got seeded into many long term care facilities.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
The exact same thing that is written on someone that died of covid.
So coronavirus disease 19 then?
Old 09-08-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
So your position is and correct me if I am wrong is the government and their measures to control Covid19 worked as seen by he reduced infection and death rate.

Because it worked it proved it wasn’t that bad.

And that you are at low risk so we shouldn’t have to do anything and return to business as usual?
Old 09-09-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
So your position is and correct me if I am wrong is the government and their measures to control Covid19 worked as seen by he reduced infection and death rate.

Because it worked it proved it wasn’t that bad.

And that you are at low risk so we shouldn’t have to do anything and return to business as usual?
Normal would be good. We have some businesses treating it like the Black Plague ( my other half’s stepfather’s company ) and others that aren’t ( companies that are his competition) He is losing huge dollars in commissions while his company stifles his earnings and his competitions pick up all the work. There are people really hurting right now that have to sell homes and do other measures to react to this government imposed reaction.

Out of all your stats we do know it’s very recoverable. What’s going to happen during flu season and my son will be relegated to stay home and get tested? I will have to miss work and get tested myself and lose pay. He is 13 and sick a couple times a year. Normally he would go to school and toughen it out but because of the way the school is handling all sickness, he can’t go with a cough or sore throat which some kids have throughout all winter. Some Parents will have to stay home weeks upon weeks. Buckle up this winter
Old 09-09-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:

Spain and Italy admitted that early on they were transferring they're covid patients to seniors homes as hospitals became full. Hence the ridiculously high mortality...Their health system killed them.
My family there (numbering over 60) have zero cases among them and hardly know anyone that has caught the virus. Keep in mind that those countries are also victim to the "yes he fell off a cliff and died, but he had covid" way of counting.

Also, New York, Spain, and Italy all had the early stages of the virus, which has been proven over and over again to be much more deadly than what we are facing in Canada today.