Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 09:06 PM

30 plus years ago there perhaps weren’t lanes to skip the line, but at the window you just said headed for revel stoke and you didn’t pay...
Old 08-19-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Yes. Now there is.

Did you drive it in 25 years ago? 35?

I paid many times, there was no going through.

That is fairly recent.

Just because something was the way you saw it last thursday does not mean it was the same for 4 decades.
Yes I’ve been driving through Banff National Park for 25 years to visit family and have never stopped and paid to drive through on the Trans Canada Highway. Back then there was only one lane though so some changes.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:11 PM

I would gladly give more. Pretty bad times to be donating anything to any government currently. You might need that money after the smoke clears and if they are going to increase property taxes 3 or 4 hundred percent then forget it. They'll never get a dime out of me. People are down and out and the worst will happen this April and may. If people paying back the money the government gave them because they **** the economy down then ding them with an insane tax increase...it'll be pretty obvious they running us into the poor house.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:00 PM

Vehicle to create more high paid manager/governorship job positions that will be used by politicians to crow about how many new jobs they created. It will be just like most not for profits and charities when all is said and done less than .5c of every dollar will go to the cause it was created to fund.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:25 AM
Banned

I’d be okay with increases for things like cross country ski trail grooming and wilderness programs. For them I think that a user pay increase would be okay. I would not support increases for anything as a means to generate revenue.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:44 AM

No, I loose too much money to taxes already
Old 08-20-2020, 06:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooeylover View Post
I pay enough in taxes now, don’t need any more taxes even if they call them “fees”.
The government, like myself, needs to do more with less in these times.
About %34 of my salary is taken off my pay check as it is, not even mentioning all the taxes on goods and services.
There’s lots of money there, they just need to spend it more wisely.
Tend to agree with this statement....ya gotta move the funds around to cover all aspects....charging more and doing less is not the answer as there is sufficient money.....but if you keep giving it away to other countries interest etc welll

Imagine giving half your pay heck to a dead beat neighbour....you do will less and they do nothing and get the same quality of life...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-20-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
What Urban Redneck said.

Instead of trying to generate more revenue (by taxation), it's about time for all levels of government to learn to be more efficient and less wasteful. Like all of us in the private sector who operate businesses. You compete or you go under.

We are already taxed to death, and 'user fees' aren't even a cleverly disguised tax.
Yeah, i retract my original statement.

In my work, i deal with a number of government agencies. If we defunded AHS there would be a TON of money to spread around and probably also reduce taxes. SO BLOATED. I wish I could give specifics because it would make the most ironclad stomach heave.

Another one would be CBC. Want to know how much it cost for them to move into their brand new digs by the foothills hospital?? ...yeah I know that's federal....
Old 09-07-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Only if it went to enforcement of existing laws (no new laws) and enhancing existing campgrounds and creating new campgrounds.
Completely agree!
Old 09-08-2020, 06:40 AM

NO! we are already over taxed and the government mismanages money.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:20 AM

The question is " do you have a choice " when they increase user fee's there are only 2 choices pay the extra fees or don't use the facility.

Are we willing to agree to it " NO " of course not but will we still pay to play ???????? that is the question, will you still pay to camp if the fee's go up ??????

When was the last time that a golf course lowered their annual or daily greens fee's ???????? how about a gun club, have the annual membership dues gone down, or has the price per round of trap, skeet or sporting clay's gone down or up ???????????

User fee's are a fact of life, if you want to play you have to pay, it's just about that simple IMHO

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:22 AM

I'm thinking Alberta is soon to lose it's only province without provincial sales tax status. Buckle up!
Old 09-08-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I have driven that way for more than 40 years and never paid.

Told them where I was going (usually Vancouver) and not stopping in Banff.

They just waved me on through.

Maybe I just got lucky.
I have never paid in either park if just driving through
Old 09-08-2020, 09:21 AM

Default Less Taxes and Fees

I am in the less taxes and fees camp.

We have so many people that seem to think that government programs are a human right. They all come at a cost, one paid by you and I.

Democracy fails when the majority realizes they can vote themselves the money of the minority. I think Canadians have reached that point.

One of the reasons I am such a big fan of the American system is that its a Constitutional Republic, not a democrazy. Their founding fathers saw the potential pitfalls and put checks and balances in place to protect there people.

I find it more than ironic that the party that seems to be causing the biggest problems is the one with Democracy in its title.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:36 AM

Default Federal Donations?

Quote:
No.

The only paid recreation for us anymore is fishing in BC.

I became truly annoyed going into/through Banff being forced into long lines and made to pay ridiculous money to drive through the park on the way to Revelstoke or Summerland a hundred times, when on the BC end there is mention of paying, but NEVER saw a BC plated vehicle with a parks sticker.

Make Albertan's pay for everything, but its a 'choice' for BC.

NO.
LOL you would have saved a lot of money if you told them you were driving to B.C. and not stopping in the park.
I’ve never paid. Honestly since I can rember there has always been a through lane and it been a long time.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
If it means they keep the campgrounds they were going to close open... then yes.
Most of the campgrounds on the list were exactly the kind I liked... minimal facilities and not catering to the partying RV’er.
As others have said, close those and I’ll backwoods camp and they’ll get none of my money.
According to a senior official at Clearwater County, random camping will no longer be free after 2020. I don’t get any details other than that the government is going to implement user fees for all campers, including bush whackers.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-08-2020, 11:25 AM

Here's one for ya...

The campground that burned in the Waterton fire was out for tender for construction bids a few weeks ago. During the middle of the tender the feds pulled the funding.

Wonder where that money's going now?
Old 09-08-2020, 01:41 PM

I say no to extra user fees. They will find a way to get it out of you though if you drive anywhere outside the city. They will say look at all the extra garbage cans we added on trails. They will implement it and we will have no say. People will still go and eat more hot dogs instead of steak. We all know for the most part all the extra money will not be spent the way it should be. Obviously the wrong people managing "our money". As was mentioned in one post Alberta could be losing the status of no provincial sales tax and then add on the user fees. OUCH
Old 09-08-2020, 02:11 PM

I'm leaning NO but could see user fees for grooming of K-country ski trails and other "wants" that only a small percentage of Albertans will use.

If they want to come out with a blanket charge, I would like to see the balance sheet of each Park.

Just like a business, I'd like to see how much they make in revenue, how much they spend and how much they profit or lose.
If a leaky bucket can't be repaired, sell the bucket and spend the money to make a new bucket that works.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:16 PM

After just spending a week in Alberta provincial parks and having done the survey I have some thoughts.

I would be in favor of a provincial parks pass similar to what Sask does as long as all of the money gets reinvested back into the parks. I had a bit of an epiphany while camping after watching the hordes of day users (normally random campers) come and go every day.

Why don't they have to pay anything to use the park but as an overnight camper I do? Day users still come and bring all of their garbage that needs to be cleaned up after them and then disposed of. They use the bathrooms that still have to be cleaned and sanitized regularly. They still use the beach, the playground, the day use picnic tables and benches and the entire park all of which need some level of maintenance but yet they pay nothing for it. Why is it the overnight camper payed $35+ for a 40' long gravel pad with picnic table and fire ring subsidizing the day user (random camper) who is also using park facilities but pays nothing?

So because of this, I would be absolutely fine with user fees. Everyone needs to pay there way, but for some reason day users are not and that needs to change!
Old 09-08-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
After just spending a week in Alberta provincial parks and having done the survey I have some thoughts.

I would be in favor of a provincial parks pass similar to what Sask does as long as all of the money gets reinvested back into the parks. I had a bit of an epiphany while camping after watching the hordes of day users (normally random campers) come and go every day.

Why don't they have to pay anything to use the park but as an overnight camper I do? Day users still come and bring all of their garbage that needs to be cleaned up after them and then disposed of. They use the bathrooms that still have to be cleaned and sanitized regularly. They still use the beach, the playground, the day use picnic tables and benches and the entire park all of which need some level of maintenance but yet they pay nothing for it. Why is it the overnight camper payed $35+ for a 40' long gravel pad with picnic table and fire ring subsidizing the day user (random camper) who is also using park facilities but pays nothing?

So because of this, I would be absolutely fine with user fees. Everyone needs to pay there way, but for some reason day users are not and that needs to change!

Day trips aren’t actually free... say that a trip from Calgary to Kananaskis uses 50 litres of gas... the provincial government gets $6.5 in tax (13 cents to the province for every litre). And the snacks, meals, etc that might be purchased are good for local businesses.

Alberta has had parks for decades, and they were never free. Our taxes have always paid for them. Now the government is just looking for more money.

Why is an overnight camper charged $35? That’s a great question. The campers are getting gouged. I love camping at many of these parks too, but the rate they have gone up over the years, far exceeds inflation. I suspect they charge what they do because they can. Supply and demand… Population (and demand for camping) in Alberta has gone way up over the last few decades… The number of Provincial parks and campsites has changed little.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

Only if it went to getting rid of this FN bs hunting/fishing rights and made it all equal because right now our money goes into planning that for the most part is below par just to be wiped out by a privilidge group of peopl.....Tripple P on that one big time......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-20-2020, 08:01 AM

Any examples from around the world where its done right in people’s minds?
Old 09-20-2020, 09:16 AM

So to recap some of the current government's plan on Parks:
they originally wanted to close 100 provincial rec ares for a savings of 5 million dollars per year.
Then they removed the list from their website.
Now they came out with flash spending of $43 million dollars for upgrades to trails and such in our parks. ( which don't make any money)
So no planning just quickly spend this money, on the shoulder construction season and spend it by the end of the budget.

Kenney government started out with a plan that blew up in their face now they are defaulting to Redford style government.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:32 AM

Exclamation They ain't Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Kenney government started out with a plan that blew up in their face now they are defaulting to Redford style government.
The only difference between Kenney and Redford is the plumbing. Politically, neither is a conservative.

FTR many of the sites that were on the original list made zero sense. Who in their right mind would want to assume financial responsibility for a roadside turnout/viewpoint with a sign and a park bench or a picnic table?
There was much stupid in the privatization idea from the very beginning.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
FTR many of the sites that were on the original list made zero sense. Who in their right mind would want to assume financial responsibility for a roadside turnout/viewpoint with a sign and a park bench or a picnic table?
There was much stupid in the privatization idea from the very beginning.
No kidding. Just put a sign up at these sites that says "if this site needs attention text #cleanup, and we will take care of it"

Let everything go back to nature.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yes. Now there is.

Did you drive it in 25 years ago? 35?

I paid many times, there was no going through.

That is fairly recent.

Just because something was the way you saw it last thursday does not mean it was the same for 4 decades.

Roughneckins right, if your driving through (no stopping) there is no fee. Jasper's a different story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology