Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 09:52 PM

Default Replacement axe handles calgary

I’m looking for 2 28 inch hickory handles to put on some axes. I’m looking for non lacquers and nice handles. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Right now, Kent of Inglewood is my best guess.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2020, 10:40 PM

Saw some wooden handles at princess auto
Old 09-19-2020, 10:54 PM

Lee Valley carries Gransfors replacement handles, in different sizes.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:55 PM

East Coast Lumberjack

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-19-2020, 10:59 PM

I bought some at Canadian Tire, though they had a clear-coat. I do plan on stripping the finish and giving them a few coats of linseed or tung oil. Finding a handle for a double-bit axe was much more difficult, I checked at Lee Valley Tools once and was told no, but on another visit another staffer happened to know of one hidden away somewhere and I lucked out. Right now they seem to have this one listed:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...e?item=65U1002
Old 09-20-2020, 12:54 AM

I've had good luck finding good handles at Canadian Tire as well. I do however end up reshaping them and sanding them down to get the fawns-foot I prefer. But they have had the best grained handles I've found. Most times I'm there I wander through the aisle and if there is a fine specimen I take it home for a spare.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:11 AM

Check out the website for Beaver Tooth Handle Company. MoMA d Pop company in Tennessee. I ordered two and the quality is awesome and so is the price. Better than anything you’ll find at the big retail stores here.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:49 AM

You can try KMS tools as well. Small selection online, but sometimes the local stores have more in hand.

You may have to strip some of them, but shipping to the local store I am pretty sure is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I've had good luck finding good handles at Canadian Tire as well. I do however end up reshaping them and sanding them down to get the fawns-foot I prefer. But they have had the best grained handles I've found. Most times I'm there I wander through the aisle and if there is a fine specimen I take it home for a spare.
really? not made in China?
Old 09-20-2020, 09:24 PM

Gramps used to make them from saskatoon that grew big down by the river , it stood up well far as i remember.

Some farmers used birch but it wasn't as good.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:44 PM

Almost impossible to find one for a double bitted ax
Old 09-20-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
really? not made in China?
I don’t believe so. They are hickory handles. Maybe they are growing hickory in China now. Who knows. As I’ve said, I’ve had good luck with them so far.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatguy View Post
Almost impossible to find one for a double bitted axe
I agree so I made one out of a wooden baseball bat. It took some time shaping and sanding but it worked great...

UFA farm supplies, Home Hardware and Peavey Mart also carry handles.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:05 PM

The last two Garant handles I hung axes on broke on the the first day of use. One broke on the first swing out on a pack trip last week. The sticker says "assembled in Canada", which I think is code for made in China, and varnished in Canada.

I bought a couple of handles at Princess Auto today that were made in the US from hickory. They are not varnished, which is a big plus as I don't have to scrape or sand it off.

I'm going to order some from the East Coast Lumberjack in New Brunswick. His price is only a few dollars per handle more than the mass produced handles, the quality is much better, and I get to support a hard working Canadian entrepreneur. He starts with a 36" long round of wood and will build whatever you want.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-23-2020, 08:24 AM

Caber you must be a old fart like me, I would bet most guys on AO do not even know what a double bit ax is, definitly they have not seen one. Coop in Stoney have ax handles, assume have Coop in Calgary.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Caber you must be a old fart like me, I would bet most guys on AO do not even know what a double bit ax is, definitly they have not seen one. Coop in Stoney have ax handles, assume have Coop in Calgary.
I fixed up this Swedish double bit a few years ago, the handle had a severe bow as well as a split. It's stamped 'Berghaus Sweden' and hand stamped 'AFS', possibly for Alberta Forest Service? The color variation in the steel was interesting to me, whether its from heat treat or forge-welding I don't know, but I suspect its from quenching it for hardening. It takes a really fine edge and cuts beautifully.

The bottom of it had been hammered a lot when someone re-handled it previously, and the difference in the hardness was apparent, the hardened area had some small chips where it had been struck, but the soft area had been peened.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:53 AM

Homehardware
Old 09-23-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatguy View Post
Almost impossible to find one for a double bitted ax

Buy a handle for a pick axe and reshape the end but there are quite few places that sell handles for double bit axes if you Google it.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:23 AM

I’ve never ordered from Bailey’s but their shipping page notes that they ship to Canada:

https://www.baileysonline.com/forest...t-handles.html
Old 09-26-2020, 10:50 AM

In July I bought an axe from Canadian Outdoor Equipment. They also have a selection of axe handles for specific axes, but not sure if they'd fit what you need. Free shipping over $50 too.

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment...e-handles.html
Old 09-26-2020, 07:59 PM

Default Handle source

I struggled to find a long straight handle for a Pulaski. Ended up finding one at “Alberta Forest and Garden” in the SE. Not cheap, but it has held up well.