Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-12-2020, 10:29 AM

Default Feeding Issues with Browning XBolt Mag

I have 2 X bolts - 30-06 magazine works great. 7mm 08 Magazine has issues feeding when I put in a 3rd round, nose hangs down and gets pushed into front of mag by bolt. I called Browning and they said to call Browning certified gunshop for service. I called the gun shop and they asked if I was using reloads, i said yes. They said 'that's the problem' xbolt mags are not designed to shoot reloads'. Said I would have to mail them the rifle and mag and they would modify it to make it work for reloads. I couldn't believe my ears! Anyone else have this issue?
Old 06-12-2020, 10:35 AM

check the oal and bend the lips until they work like you want to assuming there metal.

Mags not made fore reloads... lol where do they find these gun counter people?
Old 06-12-2020, 11:09 AM

search x-bolt magazine problem. its been a common issue for years. tiny little spring trying to push the magazine follower. it is not a good design.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
search x-bolt magazine problem. its been a common issue for years. tiny little spring trying to push the magazine follower. it is not a good design.
When I search it I find several folks complaining about feeding issues but I don't see any solutions
Old 06-12-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
When I search it I find several folks complaining about feeding issues but I don't see any solutions
I sold mine after buying additional magazines, and all having the same problem, but I did inspect design of the magazine before ridding myself of it.

The magazine has a rotational winding spring wrapped around a main screw rod, the magazine follower flap pushes against the one end of the spring. the spring is about the same strength as your typical ball point pen spring... If you were to take the factory spring and replace it with a more forceful winding spring it would probably fix the problem. But be warned if you disassemble it, the design of the magazine is not at all easy to reassemble without constructing special tools.

Mine was a 308 win, I also noticed if you put 4 rounds in the magazine as is advertised, the magazine will not seat properly if the bolt is closed.

To say this is a reloading issue is a lowsy excuse for ignoring a design flaw.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:01 PM

Just got through to Browning Canada. Great service - said they will send out replacement magazine. Rep also stated that X Bolts have no issues with reloads as long as they are properly done.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:40 PM

If they aren’t too long, what would make hand loads different?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-12-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If they aren’t too long, what would make hand loads different?
Ill informed people say stupid things.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:58 AM

Sold our Xbolt because of two magazines that would not feed properly. Never had the problem with my A bolt. I hunt in grizzly areas so the thought of a failure to feed did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:18 AM

Double post
Old 06-15-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
Sold our Xbolt because of two magazines that would not feed properly. Never had the problem with my A bolt. I hunt in grizzly areas so the thought of a failure to feed did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Grizzly country or not, if someone wants a single shot, there are much better options. the xbolt loading port is very small, not ideal to hand feed every follow up shot.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:34 AM

It's awfully strange that some have issue's and some do not, i have an x-bolt in 300WSM which can be prone to issue's in any rifle and have never had an issue with it, reloads and all
Old 06-15-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1 View Post
It's awfully strange that some have issue's and some do not, i have an x-bolt in 300WSM which can be prone to issue's in any rifle and have never had an issue with it, reloads and all
Maybe browning put a stronger spring in the magnum magazines, who knows... My issue was with 308 win, and had nothing to do with rifle, multiple purchased magazines, in or out of the rifle, strip the top round foreward out of the magazine, the next round wouldnt slide up. Factory ammo and properly sized ammo. Polished and clean. Even took the magazine cap off the back and made sure there was no dirt at all inside. No explaining why it was happening, but multiple magazines, same story.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1 View Post
Agreed. I have xbolts in 280 Rem and 300 win mag. 4 magazines and never a problem.
A bunch of buddies own them and same thing.
It sounds like there are very few issues, but it's great that Browning responds to them quickly!
Old 06-15-2020, 07:05 PM

I wonder if it is an improperly shaped follower?

I also find it strange that some people have issues and other do not. I have two x bolts, both 6.5cm, both mags function flawlessly. I’ve fired around 300 rounds through each of them, never an issue. Odd. Again I go back to thinking it’s the follower or maybe the body of the mag itself? Or as other have said, maybe a weak spring.

Not meant to shoot handloads, now that is hilarious.... and sad.... they need more educated people handling issues like this.